Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, the honeymoon is over ... after an awesome 12k miles, a check engine light came on last Tuesday morning. I had just bought a Scangauge II so I tried to check the codes and clear them, but I'm not sure the codes it gave me were right. The light cleared and stayed off while at idle (did not drive it anywhere) and I intended to get it checked after I returned from a trip that week, but then in an unrelated incident later that day I had to get the car towed to the dealer to get the fuel tank drained/flushed (another story for another day, but, don't let your brain shut off and go into autopilot when you are adding DEF!). I mentioned the CEL from earlier and asked that they check that out once the tank was flushed. Well, Saturday they told me the CEL is because I need a new turbocharger (?!?!?!). Codes they got are P049D and P003A. They said there is a defect where the vanes aren't opening or something along those lines and the only solution is to replace the whole turbo. Which they don't have so I have to wait. I do have a loaner car and it is all covered under warranty which I'm grateful for, but this really stinks. I haven't found any similar issues in searches so I don't understand what went wrong. The service managers insist it wouldn't be related to anything I did or didn't do, or driving style, and is just a manufacturing defect but naturally I am worried there is some reason, or this is going to be a recurring issue. I'm not great with electronics or computers, so I don't really understand what's wrong, which frustrates me ... I'm the kind of person who wants to know every detail even when I'm not paying for the work. Hopefully the car will be done this week and I will report back. I'm worried it won't be the same or it's all going to be downhill from here. I think it makes it worse that this is a unicorn car and I can't get another one, or anything like it. I really love it so I hope this is just a setback and it will be back to its 70-mpg self soon.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I would not sweat it. These things happen. My Gen 1 had a bad DPF in the first week, replacement and no problems since. Later had a ECU go, all under warranty. It has just under 50k now and it's doing fine.

Side note, be hesitant to clear codes when under warranty. Always get any code documented be a dealership to ensure you can get warranty service should a failure occur.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I don't know why they gave you a loaner car. If the vehicle still runs fine without a CEL and it's just a matter that the vanes in the turbine can't actuate properly to change the aspect ratio, I'd drive it until they get the part in stock.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know why they gave you a loaner car. If the vehicle still runs fine without a CEL and it's just a matter that the vanes in the turbine can't actuate properly to change the aspect ratio, I'd drive it until they get the part in stock.
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my description, the light kept coming back on for them when they test drove and got it up to a certain load. They didn't feel it should be driven. I suspect it would have been fine but they didn't want me to be in a situation where it underperformed and didn't give me boost when I needed it. I didn't notice any issues at all when the light first came on (I had just dropped my cat off at the vet and drove the car home). I had noticed frequent regens for about a month. That is why I bought the Scangauge to begin with, to track regens and soot levels. Other than that no sign of things being off until the light came on, and the short amount I drove it after that it seemed normal performance-wise. Granted I did not push it on that drive. I was very surprised by this outcome. I thought it would be an emissions issue or something sensor-related, I guess just based on what I know about these cars, and the fact it was exhibiting regen behavior too frequently.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Side note, be hesitant to clear codes when under warranty. Always get any code documented be a dealership to ensure you can get warranty service should a failure occur.
Sounds smart. I probably shouldn't even bother using the gauge to check the codes, since the answer for any code is take it to the dealer anyway. No need to know what it is ahead of time, other than I'm just super OCD about wanting to know everything. I only bought the Scangauge to use the gauges and track regens, soot level, etc. I haven't really tried any of that yet and now I'm not sure I should since it will just give me more to worry about.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
They kept the car to repair it. Part of the GM warranty is a loaner anytime the dealership has to keep your car for more than one day. The dealership had to order a new turbo and can't return the car until it's repaired. Without the turbo, the car will be a 3,500 lb paper weight.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Sounds smart. I probably shouldn't even bother using the gauge to check the codes, since the answer for any code is take it to the dealer anyway. No need to know what it is ahead of time, other than I'm just super OCD about wanting to know everything. I only bought the Scangauge to use the gauges and track regens, soot level, etc. I haven't really tried any of that yet and now I'm not sure I should since it will just give me more to worry about.
Definitely continue using the SGII, knowing when the car is in regen and not shutting down during a cycle is really helpful to the longevity of your emissions system. You’ll also consume less diesel by not having to go through multiply heat cycles (EGTs @ 1100F) due to interrupted regen cycles.

There’s no harm in using the SGII for checking codes. Just don’t use the SGII to reset them if you’re taking it in for service, the tech will need those codes to properly diagnose.

So you mistakenly put DEF in the tank? And they say no relation to the turbo failure?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely continue using the SGII, knowing when the car is in regen and not shutting down during a cycle is really helpful to the longevity of your emissions system. You’ll also consume less diesel by not having to go through multiply heat cycles (EGTs @ 1100F) due to interrupted regen cycles.

There’s no harm in using the SGII for checking codes. Just don’t use the SGII to reset them if you’re taking it in for service, the tech will need those codes to properly diagnose.

So you mistakenly put DEF in the tank? And they say no relation to the turbo failure?
Yes, I put a couple of ounces of DEF right in the fuel tank, not sure I've ever felt so stupid in my life (which is saying a lot), and yes, they are saying no relation. CEL came up before the DEF incident and it was never run after the DEF incident. My brain clicked in right as I started tipping the container to pour, realized what I was doing. I did not start the car, had it towed to the dealer to have everything drained and flushed, told them of the situation and told them not to start it. I also told them I had a CEL that morning prior to the incident and I'd like that checked once they finished the flush. They did the flush at my cost (insurance actually covered it) and said that was taken care of but the CEL kept coming back. They said the turbo problem is not related and will be covered under warranty; the first service manager I talked to characterized the problem as electronic. The whole thought freaks me out because it was kind of a perfect storm situation that I managed to do something dumb right after a problem arose and could have muddied the waters. Obviously it was good that I at least was bright enough not to start the car after the DEF incident. I guess on the bright side the mistake meant I only drove the car a few miles after the CEL came on, instead of taking it to the airport that afternoon. Instead I took my 370k-mile old Mercedes which leaks so much in the back window I had to leave a tarp over it in the airport parking lot.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Sounds like you have a good service department.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Yep ^^^^

I second the notion to not sweat it. Let them repair your unicorn and be confident they will continue to back you up for the remainder of your warranty period.

One glitch does not make a lemon.

Oh, and no need to be embarrassed, happens to the best of us.

Mis-fueling has and always will be a problem with new diesel owners. VW even had to do several changes including stickers, fuel filler neck mods and fuel caps because so many people were mistakenly pumping unleaded in their TDIs.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like you have a good service department.
This has been my impression so far. This is the same dealer I bought the car from and that was a nice experience ... salesman is a great guy and actually checked in to see what was up when I was in the service dept. So far they have been great to deal with ... I realize my anxiety and related endless questions can make me one of "those" customers but they have been patient with me. The loaner isn't bad either ... black 2019 Malibu.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, and no need to be embarrassed, happens to the best of us.

Mis-fueling has and always will be a problem with new diesel owners. VW even had to do several changes including stickers, fuel filler neck mods and fuel caps because so many people were mistakenly pumping unleaded in their TDIs.
True, this is my first car with DEF, so it's sort of the same effect of inexperience and routine, and once you add a moment of absentmindedness to the mix, it can add up to a mistake. Going to add some neon stickers to the DEF box as soon as I buy each one with a note reminding me to pay attention. :)

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
46 Posts
Does anyone know if this turbo design is new? Have they used this turbocharger somewhere else on some other diesel engine?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone know if this turbo design is new? Have they used this turbocharger somewhere else on some other diesel engine?
I am wondering the same. It has taken them forever to get one. I still don't have my car though they called me Friday to let me know they had found a turbo and were trying to get it sent to them. Not their fault but a little disconcerting it was that hard to find when the car is not even a year old. I am thinking it must be unique to the engine.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I am wondering the same. It has taken them forever to get one. I still don't have my car though they called me Friday to let me know they had found a turbo and were trying to get it sent to them. Not their fault but a little disconcerting it was that hard to find when the car is not even a year old. I am thinking it must be unique to the engine.
Most likely new and for this engine. Due to limited production and it being new it is typical for parts to be scarce. Most of the parts will be used for new production. It took almost a week to get parts for the flywheel replacement on my manual diesel.. likely same issues for that. Also the service writer noted many parts were updated part numbers... Which means there were engineering updates (usually when they find and fix some design weakness they will update the affected parts). That could also be an issue with the turbo..

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most likely new and for this engine. Due to limited production and it being new it is typical for parts to be scarce. Most of the parts will be used for new production. It took almost a week to get parts for the flywheel replacement on my manual diesel.. likely same issues for that. Also the service writer noted many parts were updated part numbers... Which means there were engineering updates (usually when they find and fix some design weakness they will update the affected parts). That could also be an issue with the turbo..
Makes sense in retrospect but this wasn't really an aspect I considered until now ... I knew it would have issues but didn't think about it being gone 2+weeks when issues happen. Wouldn't have stopped me from buying it anyway though, worth the gamble that it doesn't happen often. My Jeep diesel was very short production but oddly I never had issues with the dealer getting parts early on ... maybe because the EGR issues were SO common and consistent more dealers had the parts in stock. Whereas the Cruze 1.6 is still gradually showing its colors, and these issues are relatively isolated.

Hoping I get it back this week. I don't think I will dwell on it as much when I'm not just sitting here waiting for the phone to ring and wondering. On the bright side it's missing some nasty weather!

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So three full weeks now and they still can't get a part. Starting to get pretty upset. They said they located two at other dealers but they can't get them to send them, so they haven't even been shipped. I guess they can't get the part at all from GM which astounds me. I could understand if there was a production schedule that caused a wait, but it's not even like it's on back order. Am I overreacting to think this is completely ridiculous on GM's part? I don't think it's the dealer's fault and they seem frustrated too. The whole thing makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Five weeks, no part, no ETA on the part from GM. Two other dealers have the part but won't give it up because they know they won't be able to get another one if their customers need it. GM just won't make more for anything other than new cars right now. Disappointing and depressing. And inexcusable on GM's part. I feel bad for my dealer too because there's nothing they can do and it stinks they have to deal with this for weeks on end. I miss my car.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Five weeks, no part, no ETA on the part from GM. Two other dealers have the part but won't give it up because they know they won't be able to get another one if their customers need it. GM just won't make more for anything other than new cars right now. Disappointing and depressing. And inexcusable on GM's part. I feel bad for my dealer too because there's nothing they can do and it stinks they have to deal with this for weeks on end. I miss my car.
I'm pretty sure that they have tripped the time requirement for the lemon law. Get in touch with GM, they reply to the Facebook site (Chevrolet). Tell them your story, mention forcing a buyback. I'm quite sure with the right priority they will ensure your dealership gets the part needed.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts