Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i start my 500 mile drive to work today 2am

im listening to podcasts, then theres a quiet moment 2hrs in, i hear 'whistling'

driving along, goin into N doesnt change it, windows, sunroof, up and down, no change

sound goes away when boost is low or gone....aaargh.

pull over, see if theres something visibly wrong...bit of oil leak near turbo, all connections good....

so i turn around, head back home, theres no GM for another 4hrs in the direction i was goin, work is 2hrs past that, its sunday...everything is closed....ill have the car taken in to my dealer near home.

then it dawns on me.....and im pi$$ed....

i got a magmount antenna for my VHF radio....this is first drive with it.....it cant be that simple.....

pull over, take antenna down

whistling sound gone....turbo, and rest of car is fine

oooooooof

dunno if the antenna itself was making wind noise, or the way i had the cord in the weatherstripping of the door....was test run to see how much better it was before going permanent install

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Well at least you figured it out.....I am not familiar with a VHF antenna, what does that provide you? Is that a tv signal?

Reactions: Tomko

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well at least you figured it out.....I am not familiar with a VHF antenna, what does that provide you? Is that a tv signal?
vhf radio...sorta like CB on steroids, ham radio-ish

nobody here uses CB's....

all the trucks on the highway are on a channel, wanna hear whats goin on up ahead and our company trucks use another channel, so if i run into one of them, chat up for a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Very good...just wasn't familiar, sounds like you may travel thru some remote areas, that sort of thing could be a life saver.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very good...just wasn't familiar, sounds like you may travel thru some remote areas, that sort of thing could be a life saver.
i live on a logging road, the trucks have to call every kilometer so the oncoming trucks can figure out where to meet, etc..

all the roads i drive on in the truck are like that too

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
i live on a logging road, the trucks have to call every kilometer so the oncoming trucks can figure out where to meet, etc..

all the roads i drive on in the truck are like that too
Well my hunch was reasonably accurate. I can't recall ever driving anything like that. Although when I was young I tried to cross the sierra mountain range in California and it was a scenic route and in places was one lane and quite steep and many places with no guard rails, as I recall there was a marine training camp and I didn't see a car for long time. It was a little more dangerous than my stomach could stand at 21 years old on my honeymoon, I turned around.

Reactions: boraz

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I used a trunk lip mount for my antenna - works great. (For ham radio) There is only one that I found that doesn't have that little rectangle piece that sticks out the other side. (It helps support the mount if you have a bigger / high gain antenna. I have one of those on my suburban, it ate the paint. Didn't want that to happen on the Cruze.)
If you are interested, I'll find the link.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Well that's a relief that it wasn't a turbo failure.

Reactions: BrandoFisher117

·
Registered
42 Posts
Pissed and relieved at the same time. I remember using short wave radio wayyy back in the day, could get a good 150-200 mile range with it.. then switched to CB and dropped down to 2 miles lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts