Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my turbo replaced from im guessing was a factory turbo to a cardone select brand. (I am aware that its not the most expensive therefore probably not the best). I have been driving it for about 3 days now and ive noticed both times coming home from work in the morning that the radiator fan was on after i shut it off. Didnt think much of it until this morning when i got home and it was running and i smelt something hot. I open the hood (still dark) and could see the new turbo glowing a nice tomatoe red. Dont recall the first turbo doing that what can i do unless its normal.

It is a 20 min drive home from where i work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
Oh no no no no, not normal. Take it back to whomever replaced it.
My uneducated guess is that one of the coolant lines going to it is blocked. If one of the oil feed lines was blocked, it would have failed very soon after install as the bearing would have smoked.
Either way, take it back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh no no no no, not normal. Take it back to whomever replaced it.
My uneducated guess is that one of the coolant lines going to it is blocked. If one of the oil feed lines was blocked, it would have failed very soon after install as the bearing would have smoked.
Either way, take it back.
The place i took it to said that once those coolant and oil lines are on there they aren't ment to come off and be re used is that true?

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Geez, if it’s hot enough to glow “tomato red” the oil/coolant (if any is flowing) must be getting scalded. Get to a competent mechanic and have it checked out quick or it may lead to more than a turbo problem.

Reactions: Tomko and mikestony

·
Registered
325 Posts
The place i took it to said that once those coolant and oil lines are on there they aren't ment to come off and be re used is that true?

If they said that, can I assume they used new lines on your new turbo?
They can be reused if not damaged but the sealing rings, gasket, and the manifold nuts and gasket should be replaced.

As @Rivergoer states, get it to a competent mechanic. Nothing should glow red on any properly running passenger vehicle unless something is wrong.
Bad turbo perhaps? Perhaps a coolant air pocket not allowing coolant flow?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yuppers,
It appears to not get enough oil.
Make sure you have dexos oil.
Red glowing turbos usually end up cracked, or fail within hours.

Also, if the turbo is too small for the engine, giving you boost too quickly, it might be that it's too small.
Also check if the wastegate is working.

If all else works out, I think the turbo might be too small for your application.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yuppers,
It appears to not get enough oil.
Make sure you have dexos oil.
Red glowing turbos usually end up cracked, or fail within hours.

Also, if the turbo is too small for the engine, giving you boost too quickly, it might be that it's too small.
Also check if the wastegate is working.

If all else works out, I think the turbo might be too small for your application.

I'm curious how a Cardone OEM replacement would be too small? It's not like he went to a wrecking yard and bought a used generic turbo. Also, the turbo on the Cruze is pretty small... I'm not sure how you could find one smaller unless you were looking at a turbo charged weed whacker or lawn mower...

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm curious how a Cardone OEM replacement would be too small? It's not like he went to a wrecking yard and bought a used generic turbo. Also, the turbo on the Cruze is pretty small... I'm not sure how you could find one smaller unless you were looking at a turbo charged weed whacker or lawn mower...
There are few aftermarket turbos that are smaller than the Cruze's.
Like a ihi rhb31 turbo. It's not clear that the turbo he replaced it with, is the same as an OEM turbo.

More than likely, it's not.
Either:
1- Not getting cooling
2- Defective
or
3- wrong size causing wrong air fuel ratios.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,800 Posts
3- wrong size causing wrong air fuel ratios.
There's a mass airflow sensor and an oxygen sensor...

Now, a gasket leak or pre-O2 exhaust leak could cause the ratios to be off.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Even with the stock settings, if the ECU isn't updated, a different type of turbo has a different spoolup; but yeah, it would trip the sensors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts