Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New guy here, just got a (new to me) 2014 diesel Cruze. So far so good, but it does have a wierd tendency to hesitate when starting up from a red light/stop sign. If I take off slowly (easy), it will go just fine. If I try to move out briskly, it starts slow for half a second, then really takes off. Scared the crap out of me yesterday when I pulled into a gap in traffic and it didn't accelerate right away like I expected. My VW NB TDI 5 speed allowed me to pull into traffic all the time, no lag or hesistation. The dealer said it was just turbo lag and normal.

I did drive two new CTDs prior to buying this one, the first one did not have any lag on quick acceleration, the second one did. Mine does seem to lose this tendency sometimes after several hours of running, but not always.

Is this normal? If not, is there a fix, like a tune?

Just curious, I won't be getting rid of it in any case.

Thanks,

Andrej

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,799 Posts
Welcome! And yeah, that's normal - a result of torque management (and some turbo lag), mainly.

·
Super Moderator
7,738 Posts
It's most noticeable when you're new to the car. After you've driven it for sometime you learn how it reacts and adjust to it.

Switching back to my DTS is always an adjustment because it has a much faster reaction than my CTD.

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
you can tune it so this hesitation is gone but may void warranty

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
The Trifecta tune is supposed to remove torque management in gears 1-3, so I'd imagine it would remove what isn't turbo lag.

·
Vendor
544 Posts
Does the Trifecta or Fleece tune take care of the hesitation?
It sure does! Not only that but it adds a pretty good amount of power:

http://www.wot-tuning.com/forums/store/product/2057-2014-chevrolet-cruze-20l-turbo-diesel/

·
Registered
112 Posts
The tune will definitely help. But you will always have turbo lag. just no way to get around that but you will get used to it

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I agree with everybody saying you will get used to it. For me, it's second nature to drive it with the lag. I am used to old Benz diesels that have HUGE lag so this is awesome compared to those. Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Yep - you get used to knowing how much time you need to pull out/turn in front of traffic.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Hmmm. Lag still there in my tune. Floor it from a stop, hesitate for a second, enough for half a car length, and then... SQUEAL VROOM!!! I just roasted the tires for a car length!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hmmm. Lag still there in my tune. Floor it from a stop, hesitate for a second, enough for half a car length, and then... SQUEAL VROOM!!! I just roasted the tires for a car length!
ok I turned off traction control stopped the car an stabbed the throttle . it took a second to respond
an like you said spun the tires . compared to stock tune I think you could lite a cigar an take a few puffs before it moved.

·
Registered
791 Posts
that's with the 30 horse tune which I run all the time, I suppose the 40 or 50 that is there as well would be even quicker response.

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
I treat the CTD like a old super rally car. i floor it a few seconds before its needed and time it so when the power is needed i have pushed past lag and torque management

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Which tune do you have?
Trifecta

I treat the CTD like a old super rally car. i floor it a few seconds before its needed and time it so when the power is needed i have pushed past lag and torque management
I do this every morning! One of the freeways I take ends with a light onto another freeway. The right turn onto the freeway is 90 degree 2 lane turn. I slow down to about 25 and execute the turn, but as I start turning, I have already floored the accelerator. Power kicks in just as the car straightens into its new direction. Do not try in any normal gas car! :p

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Do not try in any normal gas car
unless you have an ABSOLUTELY massive turbo on a small displacement motor... like most ricy civics

but yes you get use to the limiter and play around it

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yea, that lag was really annoying and almost got me in trouble a few times after I first got car. After a few weeks though you knew what to do and it became second nature. You may want to give yourself an adjustment period before you spend more money, but up to you.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts