Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No no this isn't about how to hear the turbo or BOV....been searching and haven't found the thread..maybe...idk...anyways......simple..every since I got the car and it happens randomly but ALWAYS when turning the car off....I hear everything winding down..fan..pulleys..turbo...the engine in general....but right at the last 3 secs on everything coming to a stop I heard a .......squeaking?.....like when u turn ur old vacuum off and u here the motor squeak a tad as its shutting down...now it has to be 1 of 3 things...Fan...Turbo...or Pulley....only last a few short secs usually (you can tell by the squeak and speed of rotation) that it happens right before everything officially stops...BTW seem to notice more now that the airbox has been opened up...but has always done it randomly since I got the car.....brought it to dealership (turbo ops as designed) ......just wanted to see if anyone else heard tis...and will it be an issue? car drives and runs great 31mpg around town (14 LT1 29k)

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
I've never heard it on mine, but if it was the turbo and it's been doing it for that long you would have noticed by now. That thing is spinning very very fast so if it had a bearing issue it would have had a catastrophic failure pretty quickly.

More than likely a pulley/belt...but without hearing it, hard to really diagnose.

Reactions: obermd

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Is it a squeaking or a short lived high pitched whine? These cars are known to whine. I've asked mine a couple of times if it wanted cheese and crackers to go with the whine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would be a whine if it was making the noise at speed...whatever it is, right before it stops rotating it lets out a squeak a few revolutions before stopping...ill try to see if I can get the sound recorded...just picture this..pull into a space...shut the car off...u hear everything shut down....WHOOOOUUuuummmpppp....eek eek .......eek...... LMBO trying to get a visual on sound...ill try to record it....

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
It would be a whine if it was making the noise at speed...whatever it is, right before it stops rotating it lets out a squeak a few revolutions before stopping...ill try to see if I can get the sound recorded...just picture this..pull into a space...shut the car off...u hear everything shut down....WHOOOOUUuuummmpppp....eek eek .......eek...... LMBO trying to get a visual on sound...ill try to record it....
Haha! I think you did a good job; I was able to picture it. The only question is timing. If it's possible that the pulleys are still rotating when you hear it, then I would be inclined to think it's just one of them being noisy (or the belt slipping a bit). If it's after the engine has definitely completely stopped then it's very likely that it is the turbo, but doesn't necessarily mean the turbo is in danger of failing. It's designed to spin at 100k+ RPM, so when it's spooling down to zero and the bearing "settles" I think hearing a final squeak is acceptable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive been trying to record it but hasn't done it...very random...ya never hear anything else starting up or running the engine...it sounds like after everything stops turning...1 thing left still spinning...I was like its gotta be fan or turbo..that so free play spinning if that makes sense..I had a PT turbo that I put a stage 1 upgrade in..thats the only car I had w a turbo and never made a peep so was wondering..thank you btw I will try to keep recording..oh PT stage 1 (like 1000 bucks for the PCM plus mech doing install/trans re write) 185hp to 240 and mech just bought him a case of beer..found the upgraded stage 1 pcm on ebay for 100 bucks!!...just saying....

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Sounds like a Turbo bearing is going bad as this is not a noise I think you want to hear? Personally I miss the Turbo whine and turbo lag with these modern Turbos.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No no this isn't about how to hear the turbo or BOV....been searching and haven't found the thread..maybe...idk...anyways......simple..every since I got the car and it happens randomly but ALWAYS when turning the car off....I hear everything winding down..fan..pulleys..turbo...the engine in general....but right at the last 3 secs on everything coming to a stop I heard a .......squeaking?.....like when u turn ur old vacuum off and u here the motor squeak a tad as its shutting down...now it has to be 1 of 3 things...Fan...Turbo...or Pulley....only last a few short secs usually (you can tell by the squeak and speed of rotation) that it happens right before everything officially stops...BTW seem to notice more now that the airbox has been opened up...but has always done it randomly since I got the car.....brought it to dealership (turbo ops as designed) ......just wanted to see if anyone else heard tis...and will it be an issue? car drives and runs great 31mpg around town (14 LT1 29k)
A common issue is the front crank seal leaks gases causing a squeaking noise if you remove the dipstick wile running and it goes away replace the front crank seal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.