Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to the site, heavy diesel tech here so not much auto experience. my girlfriend and i bought this 2012 cruze 1.4turbo with 30k miles, never had a problem until last week, has 120k on it now. we run amsoil because her father sells it. she came home from work one day and it had a Cel for low boost and baro pressure out of range? so we took it in to the dealer. they called and said the waste gate shaft was wore. now i have played with a few turbos in my day and felt the waste gate when i got it home. it did have some play. they wanted 1400$ to replace the turbo. i found one from LKQ for 350$ with 60k miles. so i ordered it and when it got here it had little to no play in the waste gate shaft but there was a crack between the waste gate and exhaust outlet. wasnt really concerned with it. so i finally got to take the turbo off today and noticed the oil drain tube for the turbo was melted! who in the **** thought it was a good idea to make that plastic?! also the shaft was broke and the exhaust wheel was sitting on the cat... so i am sitting here on a satruday night unable order gaskets or a new line. has anybody else experienced this melting line? thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Yes, there has been reports of melting lines. I think what happens is the turbo fails, comes apart, and now the exhaust gases go down the oil pipe melting the plastic. If the pipe went first, there'd be a nice line of oil following the car and the engine oil would be low. So, I have to think the oil stopped flowing to the turbo first.

I'd suggest changing the supply line as it may be coked up and is the root cause of the problem. The newer lines have insulation to keep the heat from coking the oil.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts