Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone notice a bit of Turbo Lag with the 1.4L Turbo? I noticed when I need some extra power, the car seems to jolt ahead all of a sudden. To be honest, I asked the dealer if the car I was getting has a turbo and he said no. It's an extra. I have an LT1. Obviously, he didn't know what he was talking about. I really didn't want a turbo. GM should have went to the setup that the Ford Focus has. Direct Injection with 160 HP. That's quite a bit more HP than the Cruze without the complexities of a Turbo. Also, the gas mileage is a little lower than I expected. With a mix of Highway and City driving, I'm getting about 26 MPG. I will say the city driving that I do is dead stop city driving - traffic lights at every corner. But I thought with such a small engine, it would get a little bit better mileage. When comparing the highway MPG with the Malibu I had, the Cruze isn't that much better given that the Malibu had a 2.4 Liter engine and it weighed about 3,600 lbs. I used to get 33 MPG on the highway. And even though the Malibu only had about 170 HP engine, from a dead stop, I can take any car. I would always burn rubber. Not so with the Cruze. Just wish they added Direct Injection to the Cruze like they did with the 2013 Malibu. That would have given it some extra punch.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,524 Posts
Auto?

Lag is only there on the manual transmissions for like 1/2 a second below 3000 RPM, and on taking off between 1000-1500 RPM. That's why they have such a short first gear to minimize that lag.

The Cruze's auto just has a horrible response time - the Malibu's transmission was a LOT more responsive.

Focus has no bottom-end power. Cruze has a lot, but runs out of steam at high revs. Small turbo engines are where the automotive industry is going - with the addition of direct injection to the 1.4, there's more power and more MPG to be had than Ford's 2.0. Heard somewhere the Focus is getting an Ecoboost just like the Fusion soon.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Auto?

Lag is only there on the manual transmissions for like 1/2 a second below 3000 RPM, and on taking off between 1000-1500 RPM. That's why they have such a short first gear to minimize that lag.

The Cruze's auto just has a horrible response time - the Malibu's transmission was a LOT more responsive.

Focus has no bottom-end power. Cruze has a lot, but runs out of steam at high revs. Small turbo engines are where the automotive industry is going - with the addition of direct injection to the 1.4, there's more power and more MPG to be had than Ford's 2.0. Heard somewhere the Focus is getting an Ecoboost just like the Fusion soon.
I was a little spoiled. All my previous cars had powerful engines until I got the Malibu. But as I said, from a dead stop, the Malibu had great pickup (with the 4 Cylinder). I thought the Cruze would have similar pickup, but it doesn't. But the Cruze's transmission seems to be more repsonsive than the Malibu's. No delays in shifting which the Malibu had at many speed ranges. I just have to accept that the Cruze has an economical engine and it doesn't have the power that my previous cars had. But I do appreciate the extra gas mileage.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yeah they are working on an engine that is a 3 cylinder 1 liter. It's so small and light there was recent news about it going through airport security in a suitcase. I imagine the Ecoboost will put it around 115 or more HP and then I'm sure there will be some SVT variant that will incorporate a significantly larger turbo that will incorporate the latest in variable turbo tech to produce bigger numbers and minimize turbo lag. It's probably going to be 2000 dollars worth of low compression engine and 5000 dollars worth of turbo tech.

Ford Built An Engine So Small They Were Able To Send It Through Airport Security

:signs053:

·
17,524 Posts
I dunno, mine is pretty spunky til about 40 mph. I had a turbo car before with a small 5-cylinder (2.3) and a huge turbo. It had nothing off the line, but would come to life around 30-40 mph. I hated that powerband WAY more than having no highway passing power in the Cruze.

Auto transmissions are just ill-suited to 4-cylinders. I think that's more to do with your lack of acceleration than turbo lag. The Cruze's turbo is spooled up by 1500 RPM, and providing maximum torque by 1850 on an automatic.

Isn't that 1.0 going to be used for the Fiesta? Seems too small for a Focus.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I find the same issue....

1LT Auto.

Worst thing I hate is pulling out into traffic...if you crack open the gas more than half throttle from a dead stop, it just falls on its face and you just take off like an old man with a hat...all the while your staring at a set of lights and a grill getting closer and closer. Turbo lag, auto trans or combo of both...doesn't really matter much...its actually bordering on dangerous IMO.

Totally counter-intuitive, if you want to take off fast you give it no more than half throttle, or at least that's what works for me...worst thing is if I have been driving the truck a lot, than I take the car...I almost have to teach my self how to accelerate again.

All the turbo cars I've ever had were sticks...so I guess I didn't really notice it as much...also I lived in the country, not the city...so not a whole lot of pulling out in rush hour.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
There's not much lag with mine. Then again, it has the stump-puller 1st gear that comes with the Eco MT gearing to shoot off the line quickly when needed. It's singing at 3000 RPM by about 12 mph in 1st.

The automatic transmission is covering up the inherent turbo lag with the torque converter. Recall that in order for a torque converter automatic to get the car moving, the engine needs to spin the impeller inside the torque converter first. That impeller needs to get a few quarts of ATF moving through the stator and against the turbine that is linked to the rest of the transmission. Once the turbine starts moving does the car begin to move. There's much more to a torque converter AT than a dry-clutch MT for getting the car going.

This transmission also has a lockup clutch on the torque converter that effectively couples the torque converter's elements together. There could be a little bit of shudder when the clutch releases and the torque converter starts doing its thing again.

You folks are making me glad I got a MT. If I want it to scoot, it'll scoot. No falling on its face. Much more than half throttle from a dead stop and it's burning rubber for the first 10 feet, traction control be darned.

Reactions: obermd

·
17,524 Posts
There's not much lag with mine. Then again, it has the stump-puller 1st gear that comes with the Eco MT gearing to shoot off the line quickly when needed. It's singing at 3000 RPM by about 12 mph in 1st.

The automatic transmission is covering up the inherent turbo lag with the torque converter. Recall that in order for a torque converter automatic to get the car moving, the engine needs to spin the impeller inside the torque converter first. That impeller needs to get a few quarts of ATF moving through the stator and against the turbine that is linked to the rest of the transmission. Once the turbine starts moving does the car begin to move. There's much more to a torque converter AT than a dry-clutch MT for getting the car going.

This transmission also has a lockup clutch on the torque converter that effectively couples the torque converter's elements together. There could be a little bit of shudder when the clutch releases and the torque converter starts doing its thing again.

You folks are making me glad I got a MT. If I want it to scoot, it'll scoot. No falling on its face. Much more than half throttle from a dead stop and it's burning rubber for the first 10 feet, traction control be darned.
I shifted into 2nd the other day and had so much wheelspin on dry pavement that the traction control kicked in - harshly - and zapped all the power. As if the car was saying "hey, stop driving like a hooligan". The Cruze really is quite fun in a manual for having such a small engine.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Worst thing I hate is pulling out into traffic...if you crack open the gas more than half throttle from a dead stop, it just falls on its face and you just take off like an old man with a hat...all the while your staring at a set of lights and a grill getting closer and closer. Turbo lag, auto trans or combo of both...doesn't really matter much...its actually bordering on dangerous IMO.
When I first got my 2011 ECO MT it was really hot out (July) and there was some serious throttle lag. Two things definitely helped. Using 93 Octane and gapping the spark plugs to spec. There are threads regarding these issues.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Shouldn't be an issue taking off as it doesn't lock up in first gear at all.

Maybe its not the right stall ratio..not even sure what the stall ratio is for this car. Since the lower the stall ratio the better efficiency you get, I would say its pretty low...thus decreasing the torque multiplication factor.

The gear ratios shouldn't have anything to do with it either, as every gear in an auto is higher than the manual, as is the axle.

6A transmission (6T40)
Axle = 3.87:1
6th = 0.746:1
5th = 1.000:1
4th = 1.440:1
3rd = 1.912:1
2nd = 2.964:1
1st = 4.584:1
Rev = 2.940:1

6M transmission (M32), Eco
Axle = 3.833:1
6th = 0.614:1
5th = 0.744:1
4th = 0.959:1
3rd = 1.302:1
2nd = 2.158:1
1st = 4.273:1
Rev = 3.540:1

I have been looking into trans tuning quite a bit. Shift times and pressures being a large one. Also if I can get rid of the deal where the trans shifts into neutral when you stop...cause I don't have an issue taking off unless I came to a dead stop and stayed there for a few seconds. So I think that neutral shift has quite a bit to do with it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When I first got my 2011 ECO MT it was really hot out (July) and there was some serious throttle lag. Two things definitely helped. Using 93 Octane and gapping the spark plugs to spec. There are threads regarding these issues.
Not going to 93 octane...its available at like 3 gas stations in town. Had to go through that with my old Silverado...cranked timing and high compression...while I ran around in a 540hp truck...it sucked balls having to plan out your fuel stops...especially as it got 350km to the tank.

I have used several tanks of 91, and didn't notice a lick of difference though.

Gapping the plugs may be something to look into though. But It never gets hot here....hottest I've seen in 6 years is 28*C.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I specifically wanted a small turbo motor that was a selling point for me. I notice no lag with my 12 Eco MT. She will burn rubber in first and chirp 2nd (if it does not grind). Auto shift has always sucked in 4 bangers. I think I get excellent fuel mileage. I drive pretty spirited and I average 36mpg's with 91 winter gas.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
The lockup clutch locking and unlocking produced a slight jar at times in my old Buick's 4T65. Most of the time it was smooth. When really gunning it with it in overdrive, though, it would jar if it was warm outside. Even with a large transmission cooler installed to keep it at 160*F when warmed up.

Also, check the plug gaps if it hasn't been done already. That will reduce low-RPM lagginess.

Reactions: Jordy927

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I have an automatic & notice no lag in response at all(I also run 91 or 93 octane all the time). Only time I had lag was the dealer fill tank when I bought the car, floor the gas & nothing would happen for 2-3 seconds, thats no joke. Crossing that 4lane hwy when it happened was like trying to cross the hwy in a golf cart. it felt like slow accel, slow accel, VRRROOOM.

It has never behaved that way again but I have also never run 87 octane again either. Never clocked it but the car seems to get to 40mph very quick, I seem to leave most/all cars in my dust at every light.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The lockup clutch locking and unlocking produced a slight jar at times in my old Buick's 4T65. Most of the time it was smooth. When really gunning it with it in overdrive, though, it would jar if it was warm outside. Even with a large transmission cooler installed to keep it at 160*F when warmed up.

Also, check the plug gaps if it hasn't been done already. That will reduce low-RPM lagginess.
I liked that just for the word lagginess...LOL

I'm going to check the gap when it gets nice out.

I need some time at home to sit down and build and test a trans tune.

My issue is just that it falls on its face, and quite noticeably. Like I said...kind of feels like I'm an old man wearing a hat...you know how most of those guys drive...LOL

Ill Try a few things in the spring, maybe even run a few more tanks of 91 to see if it helps with the plugs gapped.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have an automatic & notice no lag in response at all(I also run 91 or 93 octane all the time). Only time I had lag was the dealer fill tank when I bought the car, floor the gas & nothing would happen for 2-3 seconds, thats no joke. Crossing that 4lane hwy when it happened was like trying to cross the hwy in a golf cart. it felt like slow accel, slow accel, VRRROOOM.

It has never behaved that way again but I have also never run 87 octane again either. Never clocked it but the car seems to get to 40mph very quick, I seem to leave most/all cars in my dust at every light.
That's exactly what happens to me, but only from a stop, and only if I'm stopped for more than a few seconds...I even tried like 3 or 4 tanks of 91 to see if there was a difference...and nothing.

Maybe it is a plug issue.

Never had an issue on the highway.

I've tried even taking off in manual mode...and its hit or miss. No traction control, still no improvement.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Mine was like that only from a stop too, it was an uncontrolled intersection crossing a 4lane highway. I was shocked how there was nothing there for a few seconds.

My engine did have one other issue, one spark plug was gapped at .019 vs the .028 it should be. All the other plugs were between .024 & .026

·
Registered
57 Posts
Add one more for checking the gaps. My 2013 LTZ RS had the fall on it's face syndrome as well. I have mine at .030 but plan to close em up a little. I noticed a big difference right away. $4 for a gapper and antiseize with a 15 minutes job beat the smack out of a day at the dealer and being told that nothing's wrong, no code, its the way they all are. I spared a few grey hairs I believe.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Not going to 93 octane...its available at like 3 gas stations in town. Had to go through that with my old Silverado...cranked timing and high compression...while I ran around in a 540hp truck...it sucked balls having to plan out your fuel stops...especially as it got 350km to the tank.

I have used several tanks of 91, and didn't notice a lick of difference though.

Gapping the plugs may be something to look into though. But It never gets hot here....hottest I've seen in 6 years is 28*C.
28C is hot enough to need at least 91 octane.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.