Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Is there both turbo and non-turbo versions of the 1.4L?

I am thinking about buying a 2015 Cruze, but I am having a hard time figuring out if/which cars are equipped with the turbo. The salespeople don't really seem to know and give me different answers.

Thank you!

·
10,712 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Is there both turbo and non-turbo versions of the 1.4L?

I am thinking about buying a 2015 Cruze, but I am having a hard time figuring out if/which cars are equipped with the turbo. The salespeople don't really seem to know and give me different answers.

Thank you!
If it's a L or LS, it's the least desired 1.8. All the other trims with letters LT in the trim are pretty much 1.4 turbo. Chrome window trim and body painted mirrors is a good way to pick out a Turbo Cruze from afar.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
As Merc said, trim tells all! lol

If you want to tell us what Cruze and trims you're looking at, we may be able to help ya narrow it down!

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Best answer, find another dealer. If they can't tell you, then, they are in the wrong business to start with.

As Merc6 said above though, those are the easiest ways to tell which engine is in the car. However, I have yet to hear of a non-turbo 1.4l.. It'll be a 1.8 or a 1.4 turbo.
The window sticker should also show which it is.

Is this a NEW or USED car you're looking at?

Pop that hood!

·
Registered
692 Posts
In the US, there is no non-turbo 1.4 in the Cruze
old body style / classic LS 1.8 non turbo, LT and above 1.4T (unless it's the diesel)
new body style - all 1.4T (new engine compared to the old), until the diesel comes out

·
Registered
215 Posts
US engine options in the outgoing body style were either 1.8 non-turbo or 1.4 turbo, except for a 2.0 turbo diesel that was only available for one year. Seems kind of poor the sales representatives don't know the difference.

The 1.8 is inferior to the 1.4T in every way except that you can probably neglect maintenance more before it suffers a catastrophic failure. But the 1.4 develops better power and fuel mileage, doesn't require timing belt replacement every 100,000? miles, and is a much more refined powerplant. Just remember the oil needs changed regularly (every 5000-7,500 miles) and the spark plugs need done every 60,000 - higher maintenance than a lot of current models, but to the end of getting as much as 42 MPG.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
North American 1st Gen Cruze (2011-2016 Limited):
L & LS are 1.8 non-turbo engines
1LT, ECO, 2LT, and LTZ are 1.4 turbo engines
CTD (Clean Diesel) is a 2.0 turbo engine

My understanding is that all the 2nd Gen Cruze in North America are 1.4 Direct Injection turbo engines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for all that information. I'm looking to get a used LTZ hopefully. The place I was looking at was actually the sales division of an Enterprise, so I guess that's why they really didn't know. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to buy a previous rental but I was looking. This really helps though!

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
Rentals don't normally have all the features of a non-rental. Make sure it has everything you want because adding features can be expensive to impossible.

·
10,712 Posts
Rentals don't normally have all the features of a non-rental. Make sure it has everything you want because adding features can be expensive to impossible.
Depending on where he is, the LTZ rentals is every option possible around these parts minus Navi and blind side. One of my LTZ's had a horrible repaint job so i'd be careful. Enterprise also cleaims not all the used cars for sale are from their rental fleet. Not sure if that is a legal way of saying this car was not from that branch and possibly one from 2 states away? There is some fleet vehicles and they are easier to spot like no OnStar on mirror and tiny roof antenna base.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thank you everyone for all that information. I'm looking to get a used LTZ hopefully. The place I was looking at was actually the sales division of an Enterprise, so I guess that's why they really didn't know. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to buy a previous rental but I was looking. This really helps though!
I'd stay away from a used rental. Most rental fleets are horrible in maintaining the cars, and people beat the crap out of them. When I worked at the Chevy dealer they would always have issues from not changing the oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts