Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 cruze 2lt 1.4t with 150k miles. I've owned it since it was brand new. I'm currently running on the 4th turbo. It was replaced twice by the dealership under warranty and once by an independent shop. However it is now starting to surge again so I'm guessing I'll need to change it again in about 6 months. I guess I'm wondering if there is an aftermarket turbo available that will last more than 30k miles? And also at what point do I have rights under the lemon law?

·
Registered
193 Posts
ZZP has a turbo available. You need a tune for it though. I also have no idea about its durability compared to OEM.

I think you may have some other issues that are causing your turbo to go. I find it hard to believe that your turbo went to **** 3 times.

Do you know if all the lines were replaced with the turbo? Such as the updated oil feed line. How often are you doing your oil changes and what are you using for oil? Do you keep running low on coolant? Any issues with your catalytic converter causing excessive back pressure? Are you running a tune on your Cruze? Do you have oil leaks (such as the oil cooler leaking) that may somehow be causing lack of oil feed to the turbo? There's a lot more area you may want to look at.

There could be other issues contributing to your turbo failure. While it may run fine with a new turbo you are unintentionally pushing that turbo at its limits on the daily. It can only take so much of it before it fails.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know if the lines were replaced so that's something to look at. Is there a quick easy way to figure out if they were changed?

As far as the oil I use wolf's head full synthetic w/ Lucas synthetic stabilizer. I change it when the change oil light comes on. Which i understand might not be often enough.

I've never had a problem with my coolant levels so far

I actually changed my catalytic converter because my independent mechanic thought that might have something to do with it. But that was done before this last turbo.

I haven't seen any oil leaks but it does seem to loose a little oil somewhere.

And last I didnt know there was tuning kits available for it until 2 days ago lol so no it isnt tuned

·
Registered
193 Posts
You should be able to see the oil feed line. It comes off the front of the oil cooler (where the filter screws into) and runs behind the heat shield that covers the turbo to the top of the turbo.

On the oil cooler side, there should be a single bolt (inverted torx head) holding it in. The bolt has a washer type head on it and should be a washer looking edge on the line that the head of the bolt overlaps. The old/bad design had a little L-shaped bracket of the line that the bolt held onto. If you Google search "2011 cruze turbo oil feed line" you'll get a lot of pictures of it as well as videos. Make sure it's the newer design.

That Lucas oil stabilizer, if I remember correctly.... It doesn't happen to be a really thick oil additive is it? I would not run that in your engine. It's going to change the properties in the oil, making it to thick and clogging up your hoses and any small holes. Someone else can feel free to correct me on this. I'm pretty sure that **** is causing harm to your engine and consequently your turbo as well. Run some Pennzoil platinum I think it is and change it every 5000km.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I will check that out. Thanks for the info.

As for the stabilizer the one I use is meant for lower viscosity oils and is no thicker than the oil. They do have some that are quite thick though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yea the Lucas oil stabilizer is a thickener... which just like all oil stabilizers thicken up the oil a bit.. i'd advise against using that stuff... the oil feed line is a simple fix / change out that someone with about 20-30 minutes of time and the tools can do themselves..

Now this is jmo if you want to use some stuff in your oil, look into motorkote...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts