Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So like i said in my other thread i have the injen CAI all setup on the car! this is my only mod! Car has about 2,000 mile on it! i drive the same roads everyday to and from work. There is only one way to get to and from work! So i have noticed what the car does when i am at different parts of my trip. Now with the injen CAI i have noticed a big difference with building boost. I have no check engine light on. under light throttle under 40% the boost builds to about 6psi and than kinda surges to 12 and blows off while still on the throttle and it will do this the whole trip up the bridge. I can feel the torque and pick up speed really fast. but it feels like i am surging all the way up. this is something i never noticed before. if i give it a lil more throttle the car just picks up and goes! air temp out side was 57* the coldest morning yet since i have owned the car! intake temp was 60*

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i drove it again with a guy i work with that has 3 turbo cars. He thinks its always done it but i can now hear it better with the new intake. he said its seems like the pcm is just trying to regulate the auto trans and engine for best performance and its just more noticeable with the injen on! anyone else notice anything once they switched to the injen CAI?

·
Registered
491 Posts
its probably always been there, just the sounds got so much greter with the CAI that you hear it now.
My wife tells me the same thing sometimes when i got the windows down and driving along sections where a wall or barrier is right next to the car.
she says it sounds like a boosted vacuum cleaner is following us...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have this same problem and it's annoying as ****. It feels as if the engine is pulling, then giving boost to the engine and making it "pulse".

·
Registered
129 Posts
do you have a boost guage? mine shows under medium throttle to boost to about 10-12psi then drop offf unless more throttle is applied. might want to consider the tune since your running the CAI

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
running 89 right now and will switch to 93. yes have boost gauge and it boost just like 20126sprs said. and saving the money right now for a tune. anyone know if the tune will make it any better?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
drove the car another 25 miles after work just to get a better feeling of what was going on. Again have no SES light on and car seems to run 100%. In fact a lil late 90's civic pulled up on me like i was a punk! We pulled out at the light and i smoked him! It was kinda funny...the look on his face. was not sure i could pull on him cause some of them honda's are impressive! Anyway the car seems to just want more throttle when just driving around. I guess i just need to know that this is how a 2012 turbo car acts with an injen intake. btw it is a 6sp auto! i often thought that that had some thing to do with the way the boost acts??

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so its been about 3 days with the injen in cai mode! so far no check engine lights! double checked all the connections. is it possible to put the MAF sensor in wrong. It don't look like it??? but i dont know. i have noticed my mpg go down. was at 34.3 city and now at 31.7 to 31.2...like i said same roads, same amount of miles to work and same time of the day! Under medium throttle the boost rises and falls from 12 to 6psi unless i give it more gas. than it takes off like a bat out of ****. i do see and fell this. You can see the rpms go up to 2200 and drop to 2000 as well as hearing the boost blow off! Anyone tyhink that a tune will fix this????

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Have you ever owned a turbo car before? You may not realize, but when you have the throttle in and your building boost, even the slightest release of your foot and the computer immediately drops the pressure(Even if throttle position falls by 1%). It does that so your turbo doesnt blow to a million pieces.

Regardless, yes get the tune. You think the car is quick with just an intake?? Boy, you're sure in for a surprise..

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I felt that same surging after just doing the resonator bypass mod. I also noticed it seemed even worse with the air on off the throttle coasting with the intake tube removed. With the air on coasting down a slight grade in town car seemed fine above 2,000rpm but if I let the tach dip to 1,500 the RPM the RPM would jump up every few seconds to almost 2,000rpm again.

I suspect this is caused by a change in the airflow past the mass air flow sensor. a tune might help with this.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
onlyTaurus: yes i have had many boosted cars just none this new or advanced or 6sp auto. every car till now was stick. 91' 11 second awd talon tsi 29psi w/125 shot od n2o, 98 supra 42psi, 91 grand prix turbo 16psi and 99 civic si 20psi. now the civic was a full custom job and that car was the only car that felt like the cruze when it comes to boost under light throttle! all them cars are sold and long gone! i have been out of the race world for almost 10 years now. so like onlyTaurus said it just might be me! the si was hard to drive. it took a year to get it build it, but i do remember driving it as a daily driver to work and once the turbo was on it was balls to the wall or don't drive it. btw what tune to u have right now?

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Nice history of turbos!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Try to regap the plugs to .035". There are reports of the plugs gapped wrong or chevy changed the spec later on. My car would surge alot and after the regap it seems to have gone away. Better lower power also! Check other threads here about the regapping issue!!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok gave it about 2 weeks with the Injen CAI and the car just would not run any better. i did regap the plugs to .033. they were ate .025, .026, .026 and .024. After the regap things did seem to get better but not really. MPG went from 34.2 to 28.3. so today i removed the CAI and made it back into the SRI. Intake temps did go up about 10* but the car is running much better. There seem to be no surging or pulsing, boost is more steady and on my way home (left work at 28.3mpg) went from 28.3 to 29.6mpg. So for now i think i am going to stay with the SRI till i get a tune. Maybe Trifecta can tune that problem out so i can go back to the CAI!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Run higher octane gas.
Smorey: I run 93 octane along with the sri and I have no idea what you are talking about when you refer to surging lol. Perhaps the higher octane and sri are key.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts