Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my brake pads and now after having my rotors turned, am considering replacing. Just want to know anyone else have luck with only turning rotors. Mine were grooved I would say by dirt or something other than worn pads ad my pads were not worn all the way down. Since I had my rotors turned and fluid changed, I hear a what sounds like a rubbing of my front pads maybe my calipers are still sticking? Since I did not lubricate my caliper pins, waiting for warmer weather(should be this week. I was looking on rockauto and it seems most(not all) disk parts are for the rear not the front. Maybe it is just 2012 Ideas.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Patman are you Going to Lordstown this year ?

Good JJ needs to install her Tune as of yet , and we all know how you love to Tune and Detune the Cruzen !

Besides this should get yer mind off of yer Brakes and Calipers and yer Rotors also yer Slip pins . Darn man Relax IT will get warm soon .. I think !

·
Premium Member
4,148 Posts
I found that the rotors on my CTD had worn and left a lip at the edge after only 27K kilometres and replaced them with grooved and dimpled new ones and they are greatly improved on the original ones.

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Patman are you Going to Lordstown this year ?

Good JJ needs to install her Tune as of yet , and we all know how you love to Tune and Detune the Cruzen !

Besides this should get yer mind off of yer Brakes and Calipers and yer Rotors also yer Slip pins . Darn man Relax IT will get warm soon .. I think !
Yes planning on going to Lordstown and I am going to totally forget the Brakes and Calipers. I am still tuned and just waiting for the tune upgrade. I am just getting bored or side effects from my medicine? Usually when I get bored, I go out an buy new a car. I like my Cruzen too much to do that, besides nothing else on the market I like. As for the weather it is getting warm with rain in Cincinnati this week. There is a "car show" on Sat afternoon where a local mechanic answers questions and one question was similar to what I am talking about and the answer was to replace the rotors. Only thing the vehicle had over 80K and I am looking at 45K and I have never turned rotors before, always replaced.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have tried getting my rotors turned in the past, and never found the fix to be very long lasting. New Rotors are relatively cheap, I just change them out now.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I agree with TDCruze. My '14 LTZ only has 16k on it, so I haven't been down this road with the Cruze yet, but on my last car ('02 Intrigue), the pads would last 80k. I just changed the rotors/pads at 80k and 160k. Then I sold it with 224k when I bought the Cruze.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I used to have rotors turned with fine results. When the rotor biz went overseas, the price of new ones dropped so much that many shops divested their tooling. I've priced out new vs turning, and found that the price isn't very compelling to turn used rotors. Now I just buy new, usually online with a discount code from advance... or just use rockauto.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I've found turned rotors tend to warp faster, although I live in a mountainous area. Something to consider.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
^i have had much the same experience. Hence why I just replace them.
Have not had rotors turned for many years, always replaced, especially when the brakes had vibration. I was surprised that the Honda dealer resurfaced my wife's 2012 CR-V rear rotors this past January.

·
Premium Member
4,148 Posts
I have watched brake rotors being machined and I can assure you the ones I have seen were warped. That doesn't mean the article isn't valid, just that there can be more than one reason for vibration. Can someone explain why under light braking my Commodore vibrated, but when I pushed harder on the pedal the vibration stopped?

Reactions: S-Fitz

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
The way I look at it. If you're going to do the job yourself and not pay any labor charges. Do yourself a favor and get the best replacement parts that you can. I've always purchased new rotors for all my vehicles. It's quicker and easier without having to go out to a shop and have someone turn them for you and waste time.

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been driving the car and the brakes "work" and I have a "cheap" co worker that swears there is no reason to replace them. I have been experiencing "fade" at times and I am willing and want to replace them. There is a local AC Delco distributor that has them for $32 ea. (dealer wants $60 ea)just no time to get them: close at 5 PM and not get off work until.... 4:30 Could leave early or go during lunch. Just have not done it yet. What about pads.... replaced those 5K ago. Shouldn't be too worn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts