Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I saw it too and it piqued my interest. Check the specs. on the website. The automatic LS (which is what the commercial is pitching), is rated at 36 mpg. I'd say the ad is a loss leader type to get the potential buyer into the dealerships and then get upped in either mpg or trim level.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
From 2013 Chevy Cars, Trucks, SUVs, Crossovers and Vans | Chevrolet (City/Highway):

LS Manual 25/36
LS Auto 22/35

1LT Manual 26/38
1LT Auto 26/38
2LT Manual 26/38
2LT Auto 26/38
LTZ (Auto) 26/38

ECO Manual 28/42*
ECO Auto 26/39

From www.fueleconomy.gov (City/Highway/Combined)

LS Manual 25/36/29
LS Auto 22/35/27

1LT Manual 26/38/30
1LT Auto 26/38/30
2LT Manual 26/38/30
2LT Auto 26/38/30
LTZ (Auto) 26/38/30

ECO Manual 28/42/33*
ECO Auto 26/39/31

* ECO Manual Drivers tend to see combined MPG numbers close to the EPA highway estimate of 42 MPG. Based on both Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG and Fuel Economy, ECO MT drivers routinely exceed the EPA estimates by a wide margin.

Based on the way Chevy and Ford have redone their commercials, it appears the NHTSA and/or the FCC has finally started cracking down on misleading MPG claims in commercials. Ford's all say "up to ..." now and Chevy is showing the fuel economy for the car they pop up for their cheapest lease payment. It used to be that Chevy would give you the mpg figures for the ECO MT and then throw the LS MT's lease information up. Ford used to give the "up to" number in such a way that consumers would actually think this was a valid MPG number, when in fact you had to use mild hyper-miling techniques to get there.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Based on the way Chevy and Ford have redone their commercials, it appears the NHTSA and/or the FCC has finally started cracking down on misleading MPG claims in commercials. Ford's all say "up to ..." now and Chevy is showing the fuel economy for the car they pop up for their cheapest lease payment. It used to be that Chevy would give you the mpg figures for the ECO MT and then throw the LS MT's lease information up. Ford used to give the "up to" number in such a way that consumers would actually think this was a valid MPG number, when in fact you had to use mild hyper-miling techniques to get there.
Thank Hyundai for that. After being fined and having to pay cash settlements to recent Hyundai buyers over false MPG claims, I'm sure other auto makers have taken note. And we know that with the Cruze, the MPG claims are exceeded by many owners, myself included.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
I struggle to get my DIC to read 38 on the highway, let alone have it calculate to that. 36 would be a realistic highway number for mine if I weren't trying hard to do better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts