Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive on the Rockliffe Pkwy here in Ottawa on my way to/from work every day. It's a nice leisurely drive along the Ottawa river starting in Orleans and ending downtown, with a speed limit of 60 km/h (37 MPH). Lots of folks would rather drive MUCH faster than this seeing it's basically a two lane road along a non-residential area.

This morning was neat; a white Chevy Volt was out in front going about 72 km/h (45 MPH) with six cars in "sheep" mode crammed up tight behind him, after which was a nice comfortable 5-6 second gap, followed by me in my white Cruze Eco MT and another 15 or so cars piled up tight behind me. Studying the cars ahead and in my rear view, I could not make out any Pri-i or other EVs, so it's pretty safe to say that the two white Chevys were comfortably exceeding the mileage of the rest of this group.

Unfortunately, it's also safe to say that few if any of those other drivers realised that they were getting better mileage going 72 km/h (45 MPH) than they would be going 50-55 MPH. It's also unfortunately safe to say that few if any of them realise how small of a time penalty they were "paying" for that extra mileage.

I'll be the first to admit that the speed limit on that road should be higher, but it's not. So to anyone "stuck" behind a fuel efficient Chevy this morning on their way to work in the National Capital Region, GET OVER IT. :)

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
I hear you about the speed thing. Everyone I encountered on the road today seemed to be driving like idiots. With my AT, it won't go into 6th until 40/41 mph. On roads with a 45 mph speed limit, I constantly find people who just go along at 45 and then randomly decide to slow down. I don't know if they're distracted or what, but it never fails, they drop down to 40 and then by the time they realize it, they're down to 38. That means I'm out of 6th, and it then takes them a little time to get back up above 41 again to get back in 6th.

It'll do maybe 35 mpg at best rolling in 5th (but more likely high 20s if even a slight incline), but I can easily hit 50 in 6th and coast a little easier. And of course when I'm having to feather it some to get back to 41, that doesn't help.

People.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,526 Posts
Not true. Every car is different in regards to the most efficient speed. My old S70 got its best mileage right at 55 mph when the torque converter could lock up in 4th gear - I could manage 38 out of a car highway rated at 25-28. At 45, it searched for a comfortable RPM. Our Toyota hits 6th around 50. Some cars are designed to hit their economical high right at 55 mph since its the most common highway speed limit in the US.

The Cruze - Eco even - has shorter gears than most trucks because of the small engine size. That taller gearing enables the trucks to hit their MPG stride at highway speeds.

I do agree about people not being able to maintain speeds - annoys the heck out of me. I just want to Cruze along at at the speed limit, yet there's morons scattered everywhere doing 10 under.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
One route I take is a 55mph US highway that has not been upgraded in 20 years. It has lots of higher priority roads that intersect it in that 20 mile route, unfortunately there is no turning lanes in either direction. That means every 5minutes you have to slow down for someone turning.

Everyone else drives as fast as they can go & ride the other cars bumpers & jams on there brakes when this happens. I found that if I do 45mph & get 300-600ft distance between me & the car in front, then get upto 55-60mph I usually never have to slow down below 35mph when cars have to turn.

at 45mph the 2012 automatic is at 1500RPM in 6th gear, that means if you hit any hills you need to shift to 5th to maintain speed(brings the RPM above 2,200RPM). The automatic will get 39mpg average in mixed driving if one sticks to mostly 45mph roads even when needing to downshift to 5th for hills.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just joined this forum a few minutes ago and have yet to read an account to compare to my experience the day I brought my '11 Eco MT home a couple of weeks ago.

After picking up the car and filling up the tank, I got on the expressway to drive the 45-50 miles home. I figured out the MPG readout, zeroed it, and set the cruise control and sat on 70 MPH for the bulk of the way home with a few interruptions due to traffic, got off the expressway to drive the last 5-ish miles on two-lane roads and into my subdivision and into my driveway. The MPG readout displayed 51.6 MPG. I was flabbergasted.

Is this to be expected?

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Yes. The DIC was also probably high by 5-10% so your actual pump to pump measured MPG was anywhere from 46-48 MPG.

Welcome to CruzeTalk. My ECO MT has spoiled me at the pump for just the reason you discovered.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not true. Every car is different in regards to the most efficient speed. My old S70 got its best mileage right at 55 mph when the torque converter could lock up in 4th gear - I could manage 38 out of a car highway rated at 25-28. At 45, it searched for a comfortable RPM. Our Toyota hits 6th around 50. Some cars are designed to hit their economical high right at 55 mph since its the most common highway speed limit in the US.
Ah yes, you are correct. I agree that the most fuel efficient speed for the vast majority of cars is the slowest speed they can travel in their highest gear.

BUT, what you are pointing out is a problem with people in general. They choose automatics over manuals and are then slaves to the computer in the car, forced to take gear changes only as they are handed out. I will never buy an automatic simply because I want to be the one driving the car, and this situation is a perfect reason why:

At 55 MPH (88 km/h), one would be traveling at 28 km/h over the limit of 60 on this particular road, about 50% over, and risking a large speeding ticket. I would be tempted to drive that speed just to get better fuel economy, but the money saved on gas would never cover the speeding fines I would get! With a manual I can put it in high gear whenever I want and get great fuel economy... at 50 MPH (80 km/h) the engine in my Eco MT is only turning ~1500 RPM in sixth gear.

I do agree about people not being able to maintain speeds - annoys the heck out of me. I just want to Cruze along at at the speed limit, yet there's morons scattered everywhere doing 10 under.
YEP! I can't believe the number of people who pay so little attention to their driving that they can't even bother to maintain their speed. Unfortunately, these people are so completely removed from driving that they probably don't even know what cruise control is or how to use it. I feel a bit safe generalising here because I've driven with a lot of people who fit this description... I get stressed out just driving with them! I'm looking at people piling up behind us as the speedometer drops and drops, then someone will pass and the driver speeds back up. On occation I've told them that they are actually the driver I hate to be behind, and usually they just look at me with a blank stare and say something like "I'm not doing anything wrong.?...?".

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
YEP! I can't believe the number of people who pay so little attention to their driving that they can't even bother to maintain their speed. Unfortunately, these people are so completely removed from driving that they probably don't even know what cruise control is or how to use it. I feel a bit safe generalising here because I've driven with a lot of people who fit this description... I get stressed out just driving with them! I'm looking at people piling up behind us as the speedometer drops and drops, then someone will pass and the driver speeds back up. On occation I've told them that they are actually the driver I hate to be behind, and usually they just look at me with a blank stare and say something like "I'm not doing anything wrong.?...?".
My favorite are the drivers who slow down to well below the speed limit when they see a cop, even on the other side of a divided highway. Basically this tells me they have no business being on the road because they have no idea what the road's speed limit is or how fast they're going. I'm not talking about slowing down safety for the officer who is out of his car. I'm referring to the slow down when the cop is sitting on the side of the road in his car or driving along at 5 under the posted speed limit. For the latter, if it's clear and safe, I set my cruze control to the posted speed limit and pass. Never been pulled over for doing this, so I wonder if it's just a cop who's trying to see if anyone is really paying attention to their speed.

·
17,526 Posts
It's getting very hard to find good cars in a manual transmission. People like their automatics and almost never bother to learn anything else.

I believe if I hadn't had an old truck or old car to learn on, my parents probably would never have taught me.

Fortunately there have been a number of "sporty" cars designed lately with a manual transmission as an option - but good luck finding one in a normal car. My Cruze was one of 3 LTs with a manual within 200 miles of me. Ford Fusions have to be special ordered with one, along with the Elantra. Even Honda, long known for having manual options on most cars, has excluded them from the top trim level cars.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I really don't see what every ones deals is regarding people who drive a few MPH under the speed limit. Maybe not everyone is in a hurry, or maybe just maybe, there's still a few of us left out here who manage to leave their house on time, if not a few minutes early, to have a nice quiet drive to or fro.

What bugs the crap out of me, if for some A-hole to pass me up like he's going to a fire, when there's clearly cars coming in the other direction, then to be sitting at the stop sign when I pull up behind him/her. Really? Was that 10 second lead that important to you?

Anyhow, when I'm out on the road, I'm never in a hurry to get any where. Life is too short to always be stressing about being some where so fast.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts

·
17,526 Posts
I really don't see what every ones deals is regarding people who drive a few MPH under the speed limit. Maybe not everyone is in a hurry, or maybe just maybe, there's still a few of us left out here who manage to leave their house on time, if not a few minutes early, to have a nice quiet drive to or fro.

What bugs the crap out of me, if for some A-hole to pass me up like he's going to a fire, when there's clearly cars coming in the other direction, then to be sitting at the stop sign when I pull up behind him/her. Really? Was that 10 second lead that important to you?

Anyhow, when I'm out on the road, I'm never in a hurry to get any where. Life is too short to always be stressing about being some where so fast.
If you're on a 2-lane road, drive the number on the sign and I won't have a problem with you. If you're going 10 under the number on the sign, yes, it bugs the crap out of me. If you're on the highway, do whatever you want, but stay the heck out of the left lane.

·
Registered
132 Posts
LOL...Well, I could careless if you had a problem with me on the road or not. You don't own it. The #s on the sign are to show you how fast you can go...it's not meant that you have to go that fast.

In my neck of the woods, hardly anyone drives the speed limit on the 2 lane roads. We've all seen enough deer/car wrecks to know better. To each their own I guess. I just prefer to keep my car in one piece.

·
Registered
261 Posts
LOL...Well, I could careless if you had a problem with me on the road or not. You don't own it. The #s on the sign are to show you how fast you can go...it's not meant that you have to go that fast.

In my neck of the woods, hardly anyone drives the speed limit on the 2 lane roads. We've all seen enough deer/car wrecks to know better. To each their own I guess. I just prefer to keep my car in one piece.

This is what causes road rage!! Please pull over and let drivers who wish to do the speed limit pass before you kill someone!

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts

Rather than drive below the posted speed limit you request the road's speed limit be reviewed and adjusted. Make sure you either have other people signing on or insurance data to support your position that the speed limit is too high. Until then, find all the safe pullouts and use them when people are behind you.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is what causes road rage!! Please pull over and let drivers who wish to do the speed limit pass before you kill someone!
Wow, easy there! Suggesting that he is the one responsible for a collision because of someone else's actions is stretching things a bit far. I don't care how slow he's driving, if you pull out to pass him and hit an oncoming car it's your fault and there's nothing you can say to me or any authority that will excuse you of that.

HOWEVER, I do agree with (what I perceive as) the tone of your argument; people should at least make an effort to "go with the flow" of traffic, and in doing so are making the roads safer. It is my feeling that on a two lane road, one should be prepared to travel at least the speed limit (with their CRUISE CONTROL SET!). As suggested, if people made an effort to do this it would reduce the amount of passing, and therefore the number of passing related collisions.

There's an on-going and ever worsening situation with speed limits in Ontario here in Canada where I live (and probably most places have something similar going on). The "Law" has pretty much made it legal to travel 15 km/h (9 MPH) over the speed "limit". It is rare to hear of someone getting pulled over for going 15 or less over the limit, and if they do get pulled over and issued a ticket it carries only a small fine of about $40; no demerit points are taken, so someone OK with paying for the fines could legally speed 15-over everywhere they went all the time, and pay an infinite number of fines without losing their licence.

This behaviour has educated the public at large that speeding is tolerated, so people get accustomed to going over the limit on a regular basis. Then along comes someone who decides to take the speed limit at face value, driving at or slightly below the posted limit exactly as the law is written, and the rest of the motoring public who are "stuck" behind them starts going insane… losing their patience, tailgating, passing in unsafe situations, etc. I'm not trying to preach here, believe me, I've been that guy "stuck" going less than the limit and I know how it feels, especially when the lead car can't keep a consistent speed and traffic behind them gets into a "caterpillar" oscillation with everyone speeding up and braking over and over. Weekend cottage traffic is a perfect example of this.

Today's speed limits in general were set back in the fuel crisis of the 70's. Compared to cars of today, cars on the road in those days were fuel sucking, gross polluting, unsafe steel barges, and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to put the pot down long enough to sober up and realise that forty years has gone by. By today's standards the speed limits really are set too low from a safety standpoint. My personal feeling is that it should be legal to do about 70 MPH on a multi lane highway and about 60 MPH just about anywhere else besides residential and busy commercial areas, and that the speed limit should be enforced as originally intended: a LIMIT, and if exceeded a fine is issued… no grey area where it's "usually OK" to go.

An example of things getting completely ridiculous can be seen north of Oshawa, near where I used to live. There are many "back" roads north of Oshawa that recently had their speed limits reduced from 80 km/h to 50 km/h (31 MPH). These are paved and reasonably well maintained two lane country roads that do not go through heavily populated areas, and the houses that are on these roads generally have long driveways with homes placed well back from the road. The commuting public using these roads to go to and from work now face a 30-over fine and FOUR demerit points (out of a total of 12) for travelling 80 km/h (50 MPH) on a COUNTRY ROAD! The city claims that the local residents requested this change because the roads were too busy and the traffic was going too fast. What about the rights of the motorist using the roads? Screw them I guess… In my opinion this is a farce, and a large part of these lower limits getting approval is likely because the Police can now reap extra revenue handing out tickets. A cop could sit on a side road and hand out 30 over tickets all day long, to people who are not doing anything unsafe. This makes my blood boil!

To justify my point, 50 km/h is the same speed limit currently set on just about every residential street in every crowded subdivision where houses are a few feet from the road, driveways are short, people are legally parking on the side of the road and children are playing in parks and walking along the sidewalks to and from school. To impose this same speed limit on a country road is absolutely ridiculous, and I'm positive that every single day someone goes out on those roads and drives 50 km/h or less, just like the signs tell them to, and people behind them go insane. I would too.

I firmly believe that the speed of traffic on MULTI-LANE HIGHWAYS has little to do with the accident rate, and that difference in speed has everything to do with the accident rate. If everyone on a four lane highway is going 80 MPH in the same direction, that's a generally safe situation. If you've got some people going 80 and others going 50, well, that's where things get messy.

Having said all that, if the desire of the powers that be is to reduce our oil consumption then raising speed limits is not a good idea, and the public will have to get used to a government imposed speed limit that is lower than it should probably be. Personally, I choose not to travel much beyond 100 km/h (62 MPH) which is the posted limit on most of our highways, but this is because of my own personal interest of saving fuel and has absolutely nothing to do with safety. I am also a very courteous driver and spend a lot of time looking at what's happening behind me as well as in front. If I'm doing the speed limit in the left lane while passing someone who's going slower, I make sure I get over to the right as soon as possible when there's someone coming up behind me.

In closing, I see nothing wrong with the current traffic situation that would not be cured by both a better and more consistently run legal system and drivers that paid a lot more attention to their driving. Since these two things are not likely to change in my lifetime I also see myself complaining about both until I'm so old I can no longer have a driver's licence.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
40 years ago car speedometers weren't as accurate as they are now either, so it was easy to have your speedometer off by as much as 5 MPH. Now more than 1 MPH is unusual as long as you haven't changed the tire size on the car.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Wow, easy there! Suggesting that he is the one responsible for a collision because of someone else's actions is stretching things a bit far. I don't care how slow he's driving, if you pull out to pass him and hit an oncoming car it's your fault and there's nothing you can say to me or any authority that will excuse you of that.

HOWEVER, I do agree with (what I perceive as) the tone of your argument; people should at least make an effort to "go with the flow" of traffic, and in doing so are making the roads safer. It is my feeling that on a two lane road, one should be prepared to travel at least the speed limit (with their CRUISE CONTROL SET!). As suggested, if people made an effort to do this it would reduce the amount of passing, and therefore the number of passing related collisions.
I was referring more to his "I could care less about other drivers" attitude that I find reprehensible. Drivers like this have no business on the road. He probably doesn't signal, gets on the highway doing 35mph, rolls thru stop signs...because he doesn't care. All I'm saying is we all have to drive on the same roads...have some decency & be courteous

·
17,526 Posts
You have people that merge on the highway at 35 too?!? God I hate that. Not only can my Cruze not get from 35-65 that fast, if you would just get down the friggen ramp at a reasonable speed, I wouldn't have to floor it and fear for people rear ending me while trying to find a way around you! Grrrr.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
My "favorite" is stopping at the middle of the acceleration lane because they didn't bother to hang up their d*** phone and look to see what they're merging into.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.