Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a chirping noise that I accredited to a belt sqeek. Turned out to be air leaking past crankseal.
Welcome Aboard!(y)

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

It should not be the seal as I have fixed the PCV in the intake and also replaced the seal. We'll see though when I can look into it more.

·
Administrator
13,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
Always hard to try and troubleshoot an issue from a video but these are my guesses:

- That squeak sounds likes plastic to me so my first train of thought is to check the radiator fan and the AC compressor. Should be fairly easy to isolate and verify if it's one of those.

- As for the other noise, I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to so my guess is the idle sounds weird? I'm not sure what your car normally sounds like but if you don't have any exhaust work done it sounds like you have an exhaust leak.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,966 Posts
That chirp is probably a loose spark plug. Super common.

Rattle - sounds like something's vibrating, or turbo as mentioned above. AC/fuel line right in front of the firewall?

·
Administrator
13,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That chirp is probably a loose spark plug. Super common.

Rattle - sounds like something's vibrating, or turbo as mentioned above. AC/fuel line right in front of the firewall?
I am familiar with both of those, these seem new to me. I hope to reset my plugs today, so maybe that will go away, but I am not holding my breath at this point.

Times .04-.07 and .19-.31 and .41-.51 for one noise

.16-.19 and .32-.41 for the other. The video is much different sounding than real life for some reason.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Have you tried the long dowel method? 3-4 foot wooden dowel or stick, while engine is running, put the end of the dowel on various engine parts and hold the other end to your ear. ie. I used the stick to hear that my noise was coming from the air conditioner compressor rather than the engine block. It can be effective in eliminating sources of noise. BE CAREFULL of the serpentine belt.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Your noises sounds very similar to my daughter's 2014 that we just purchased. Chirp- crank seal, rumble- air cond compressor? However your fan is running with air on and ours was misbehaving in a resistor kind of way. Noise would subside when fan came on.
Can turbo bearings make that low frequency of a rumble?
just guessing from afar...

·
Administrator
13,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you tried the long dowel method? 3-4 foot wooden dowel or stick, while engine is running, put the end of the dowel on various engine parts and hold the other end to your ear. ie. I used the stick to hear that my noise was coming from the air conditioner compressor rather than the engine block. It can be effective in eliminating sources of noise. BE CAREFULL of the serpentine belt.
I have a cheap stethoscope I use for that. My problem is life is getting in the way. I still have not had time to change the plugs yet, let alone spend more time under the hood.

I do have some new symptoms that are a bit baffling. They may be a new problem altogether, but for now I'll post them here.

1. Parked vehicle when weather was dry - running fine aside from the noises.
2. Started vehicle next morning and it was very wet, but not raining
3. Stabilitrak came on, knock sensor was going to town, and finally the CEL came on, but no codes set or pending. After a few blocks the knock sensor settled down. By the time I parked at work 25 miles later, CEL was gone and so was stabilitrak lite.
4. Got out of work, area was dry, car started with no issues, two blocks later it was raining cats & dogs - no issues at all. Checked for codes again when I parked at home - nada.

·
Registered
2nd 2012 1.8l mt 147000km
396 Posts
Maybe a lose plug. I checked mine at 12000mi and two had loosened themselves.

If memory serves me right enough misfires will affect the traction system right? And being max humidity that day could of been enough to mess with it ... Long shot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts