Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to post and let everyone know about the problems I've had with my CTD that is currently at 67k.

First problem with the DEF was the DEF pump that is part of the DEF tank. They had to replace the whole tank at around 53k.

Next, the regen unit, NOX sensor #2, o2 sensor #2 all had to be replaced, plus the rear pipe assembly because all of the sensors were seized in the pipe....good job GM :eusa_clap: .

I'm glad I got an extended warranty on this car...........but if I keep getting these DEF problems, this CTD might be going a lot sooner than I had planned.

Reactions: pacolino

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other than those issues, the car has been nice. Still rides great, original tires.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Just wanted to post and let everyone know about the problems I've had with my CTD that is currently at 67k.

First problem with the DEF was the DEF pump that is part of the DEF tank. They had to replace the whole tank at around 53k.

Next, the regen unit, NOX sensor #2, o2 sensor #2 all had to be replaced, plus the rear pipe assembly because all of the sensors were seized in the pipe....good job GM :eusa_clap: .

I'm glad I got an extended warranty on this car...........but if I keep getting these DEF problems, this CTD might be going a lot sooner than I had planned.
this car only has one o2 sensor, you said regen unit are you talking about the DPF??

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I mentioned in another thread that I think your dealership is throwing parts at it. What diagnostic procedure did they go through?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Seems like a trend with the emissions issues from what I read here and on other threads. The heater on my DEF tank went about a month ago. They had to replace the entire tank. Just got the countdown again. Had a bad DEF efficiency fault several months back and I think it's related to that.. maybe the sensor. GM needs to fix these issues. We shouldn't be having emissions issues, especially since the car limits speed so quick. Not good if you are on a long trip. Just 40k miles on the car. This aside, a great car.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts

This sounds more like a dealership issue than a GM issue. Have you tried a different dealership? If none are available in your area, open a ticket with GM yourself (you can do this with a PM to our Chevy Customer Care account here) to get GM involved in fixing your car.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Seems like a trend with the emissions issues from what I read here and on other threads. The heater on my DEF tank went about a month ago. They had to replace the entire tank. Just got the countdown again. Had a bad DEF efficiency fault several months back and I think it's related to that.. maybe the sensor. GM needs to fix these issues. We shouldn't be having emissions issues, especially since the car limits speed so quick. Not good if you are on a long trip. Just 40k miles on the car. This aside, a great car.
Sounds like they never actually fixed the problem?

Reactions: Black20cruze

·
Registered
23 Posts
My DEF tank heater went about 4 weeks ago they have yet to get the part for me so I've been driving around with a CEL light for a month. Now i have the service exhaust system light on and its going to limit my speed in 99 miles.. Ive had such bad luck with the car, already had the O2 sensor replaced. I'm at 43k miles

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sounds like they never actually fixed the problem?
I think it's unrelated, just bad timing. I had the NOx efficiency CEL a while back and I am thinking this is related. They did a software update for a bulletin that stated the DEF quality issue would pop on, which is what it was this time around. We'll see if it works. Pretty concerned I'll end up stranded with this car on a longer trip if the 99 miles countdown comes on, but I'll cross that bridge if it comes. Almost had to leave the car in Canada this weekend because of it.

They've gotta do something if these kind of issues keep coming up on a lot of our cars. Last thing GM needs is word to come out about how their emissions systems have problems after the VW mess... even if it doesn't cause dirty emissions.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
My DEF tank heater went about 4 weeks ago they have yet to get the part for me so I've been driving around with a CEL light for a month. Now i have the service exhaust system light on and its going to limit my speed in 99 miles.. Ive had such bad luck with the car, already had the O2 sensor replaced. I'm at 43k miles
Did your dealership call Gm TAC? Last I heard they have to call or else the parts will remain forever on backorder.

I think it's unrelated, just bad timing. I had the NOx efficiency CEL a while back and I am thinking this is related. They did a software update for a bulletin that stated the DEF quality issue would pop on, which is what it was this time around. We'll see if it works. Pretty concerned I'll end up stranded with this car on a longer trip if the 99 miles countdown comes on, but I'll cross that bridge if it comes. Almost had to leave the car in Canada this weekend because of it.

They've gotta do something if these kind of issues keep coming up on a lot of our cars. Last thing GM needs is word to come out about how their emissions systems have problems after the VW mess... even if it doesn't cause dirty emissions.
I don't know if "a lot" is accurate. I have 142K miles on mine and the only emissions issue I have had was an exhaust gas temp sensor go out at 61K miles. My DPF got a little flaky a couple times, but not until 115K miles and it's still the original.

In general I think most of the unresolved issues on these cars are mechanics who are either not properly trained or just flat out not very good. I do see these cars are not perfect, but I contend they are good cars based on my own personal experience and the fact that most owners are happy. The forums attract people with problems so it makes it look like there are a disproportionate amount of problems, when there really aren't. if there's a common theme, it seems to be dealerships that simply do not know how to fix the cars, or can't be bothered.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Did your dealership call Gm TAC? Last I heard they have to call or else the parts will remain forever on backorder.

I don't know if "a lot" is accurate. I have 142K miles on mine and the only emissions issue I have had was an exhaust gas temp sensor go out at 61K miles. My DPF got a little flaky a couple times, but not until 115K miles and it's still the original.

In general I think most of the unresolved issues on these cars are mechanics who are either not properly trained or just flat out not very good. I do see these cars are not perfect, but I contend they are good cars based on my own personal experience and the fact that most owners are happy. The forums attract people with problems so it makes it look like there are a disproportionate amount of problems, when there really aren't. if there's a common theme, it seems to be dealerships that simply do not know how to fix the cars, or can't be bothered.
Nailed it.

One member had a glowplug replaced here which turned into practically a new engine. I took my car in for glow plug replacement, went home and had a couple beers and it was done.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Maybe I got lucky or the dealer did a good job here... the dealer here had the tank delivered and installed in 3 days.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maybe I got lucky or the dealer did a good job here... the dealer here had the tank delivered and installed in 3 days.
I have a GM TAC case open, I think you got lucky! I have always had bad luck with cars... I had a 2009 Jetta TDI that was lemon-lawed and my replacement a 2010 Jetta TDI gave me nothing but problems, i just have bad luck!

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I have a GM TAC case open, I think you got lucky! I have always had bad luck with cars... I had a 2009 Jetta TDI that was lemon-lawed and my replacement a 2010 Jetta TDI gave me nothing but problems, i just have bad luck!
Good luck with this, I hope the CTD turns out better for you in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
7,812 Posts

How do you deem a DEF tank that was replaced under warranty as FUBAR???

You really need to look up the definition of FUBAR.

Please come up with another, more accurate, title for this thread or the moderation team will do it for you.

·
Super Moderator
7,812 Posts
As 24 hours has lapsed, with no response received from the op, the moderation team has decided to change the title of this thread to one better fitting its tone and content.

·
Super Moderator
7,812 Posts
We all knew that we were beta testers of a sort. Especially those who bought the first ones.

As well, GMPP was available for purchase as a method of mitigating that risk.

This was, after all, the first passenger car diesel from GM since the Oldsmobile LF9 debacle.

Any additional 'free' warranty would have been factored into the price of the vehicle that was already at a pretty stiff premium over the gasoline version.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts