Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here ride bikes?

I rode dirtbikes as a kid (admittedly not very well), and about 5 years ago I got a hair up my ass and bought a beat up old Yamaha Virago 535 (535CC V-twin "cruiser"), took my MSF and aced it (the instructors thought I was some sort of plant or evaluator from the state because they couldn't believe I was an actual noob). The bik broke down on me so much that I was more aggravated with it and finally got rid of it (didn't take a loss, so that was nice).

Well, lately I've been bored, and I wandered down to the Harley dealer a few blocks from my house and talked about renting a bike. Surprisingly easy! Show my motorcycle endorsement and proof of insurance, put $1,000-$2,000 on a credit card as a deposit (depending on the insurance you take), and away you go! Since they closed our plant down for the Thanksgiving holiday I had the perfect opportunity to make the most of the unlimited miles. So I picked it up last Tuesday morning and returned it on Friday (3 full days). What I was worried about is the bike they let me rent. I know very little about HD models, so when they said it was a "2016 Softail Slim S" I didn't think much of it.

Holy....balls....that thing is fast. ABS front and back, key FOB, cruise control, 1800CC (113 CI) monster V-twin (of course) on a 750ish lbs behemoth. But $19,900 price tag...no thanks.

I had sooooooooooo much fun and although was tentative the first day (never been on anything close to that size) I quickly fell into the rhythm and had no issues. Of course, that means I am fully addicted to riding again.

So I've narrowed down my choices to the following:
Cruisers:
* Yamaha Stryker (1300CC, slightly raked)
* Suzuki C90T BOSS
* Yamaha Raider
* Kawasaki Vulcan (900-1600CC range)

Sports/Naked:
* Yamaha XSR900
* Yamaha FZ09
* Yamaha FZ07 (maybe too small for my 6'2", 250lbs frame)
* Ducati Street Triple
* Kawasaki Versys

So, anyone have any opinions on those bikes? I need to sit on the sports bikes to decide if I like the riding position (cruisers are all pretty much the same). If it's not comfortable for riding through an entire tank of gas at a time I'm not interested. And although the XSR900 screams "HIPSTER", it gets rave reviews for it's power, ease of use, and comfort.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Bmw rt1200p ftw!

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,970 Posts
Can't help with your decision much, but I have a story for the heck of it.

I had a crappy 1970's Kawasaki 50cc dirt bike as a kid at my grandpa's place in the middle of nowhere. Bought it at a yard sale for $30. Could barely climb hills under its own power with me on it, but it was a blast. We bought it to have fun on after I took the riding lawnmower down some dirt tracks and got it stuck a few too many times and had to pull it out with a truck. I used to spend summers there, and when I was 15, a cute girl moved in up the street from his house. So, spent that summer with the dirt bike, her, and a swimming hole a couple miles down ;)

I would love to someday have one again, and I would love to have a cruiser bike to take on long trips to nowhere in the summer/fall. Riding in my current area would scare me to death, so I have nothing.

·
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We bought it to have fun on after I took the riding lawnmower down some dirt tracks and got it stuck a few too many times and had to pull it out with a truck..
:th_SmlyROFL:

Definitely sounds like my childhood.

·
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I obsessed enough that I couldn't help myself. Just got back from the dealership...

2015 Yamaha Stryker Bullet Cowl is mine. 1 mile on it (from them doing the prep work, I'm the first one to really ride it).

Attached pic was on my way out the door, about to crank her up for the first time. :th_coolio:
Merrill Stryker.jpg

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,970 Posts
Ooohhh...

That thing is all engine! Literally, that engine is almost the size of a Cruze's.

Nice! Congrats!

·
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it's 1300CC (1.3L) so it really is right there with the Cruze's displacement!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts