Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really like to be able to intercept the signal to the speedometer, and use it to drive a separate odometer. Does anyone know where the car receives the signal from? Where does it go to? ( I assume the body computer ) Any details or pointing towards a resource I can peruse would be most appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Unless you can either pick the signal off the car's speed sensor directly, or tap into the car's computer bus, I don't think you can. This isn't a normal car. Everything is computerized. And I'm pretty sure that includes the signal from the module connected to the speed sensor back to the interment cluster.

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
This will be a single frame message sent over the high speed CAN. $0C9 $07 $XX $15 $D0 $XX $XX $XX $XX don't worry what the xxs are those are other things. That $15 $D0 is the engine rpm, in decimal its 5584 divided by 4 is 1396 rpm. The message is sent about 60 times a second without command. This is what drives the instrument cluster and anything else that is listening in.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
This will be a single frame message sent over the high speed CAN. $0C9 $07 $XX $15 $D0 $XX $XX $XX $XX don't worry what the xxs are those are other things. That $15 $D0 is the engine rpm, in decimal its 5584 divided by 4 is 1396 rpm. The message is sent about 60 times a second without command. This is what drives the instrument cluster and anything else that is listening in.
Ar the risk of forking, where do I find more info about what's sent over the CAN?

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I don't even think GM knows where to find that info :icon_scratch:.
They sure pretend to. :p

Asking Ultragauge or another OBDII dongle company would probably benefit the OP more than asking GM, that's for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Not too long ago (like 2009), these things would have dedicated wires. They were alot more primitive and I am guessing the op has something that needs to plug into that.

It doesn't work that way anymore, and never will. You'd have to attach your own sensor which isn't worth the effort, and you're never going to be more accurate than the ECM.

You can also request engine rpm from the ecm through the traditional sae method. There are plenty of examples of doing that, and the best reference for that is probably the wikipedia article.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why not get a OBDII bluetooth/wifi reader and Torque app (some other app) to get your speed reading ?
I don't want the speed reading. This is for a rally odometer, to read increments of miles, in fact, the one I have will read 1/100ths of a mile. You can calibrate quite accurately with a known measured distance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I can attach a hall effect sensor and drive the odometer from it. That is how rally cars do it. I just would have preferred to tie into the car's existing system, but it sounds like it can't be done.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
My ultragauge can read miles, so I know it's in the pins somewhere.
They sure pretend to. :p

Asking Ultragauge or another OBDII dongle company would probably benefit the OP more than asking GM, that's for sure.
Not too long ago (like 2009), these things would have dedicated wires. They were alot more primitive and I am guessing the op has something that needs to plug into that.

It doesn't work that way anymore, and never will. You'd have to attach your own sensor which isn't worth the effort, and you're never going to be more accurate than the ECM.

You can also request engine rpm from the ecm through the traditional sae method. There are plenty of examples of doing that, and the best reference for that is probably the wikipedia article.
We gave you the information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would really like to be able to intercept the signal to the speedometer, and use it to drive a separate odometer. Does anyone know where the car receives the signal from? Where does it go to? ( I assume the body computer ) Any details or pointing towards a resource I can peruse would be most appreciated. Thanks
It depends what engine type and model the cruze is. For example the F16D4 takes reading from wheel speed sensor and interprets it electronically but if it's an F16D3 it has a speed sensor on gearbox same as a Corsa C. There's 3x wires. 12v +; earth and speed pulse.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
10,980 Posts
It depends what engine type and model the cruze is. For example the F16D4 takes reading from wheel speed sensor and interprets it electronically but if it's an F16D3 it has a speed sensor on gearbox same as a Corsa C. There's 3x wires. 12v +; earth and speed pulse.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Do you have a list relating what "speed sensor?" goes with what engine/trim combo?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts