Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this happened tonight. Got a call from my wife, on her way home from yoga, about a mile from out house...she ran over a full goddamn tree in the middle of the road. Even with her retros and LED fogs on, this was not visible and she actually drove over half a tree. The police officers, firefighters and paramedics were all blown away at how much of a beast the diesel was in this case - climbing over it instead of just running into it.

They were all also super nice and let me help beast mode some of the giant branches out from under it, but in the end, it was still on top of the giant 1.5' diameter half of a tree...not lifting half a car off that!

From what I could tell in the dark, wind and rain, when my FIL and I got there, it looks mostly cosmetic. I popped the hood (which resulted in all the firefighters looking under hood with me for curiosity haha) and saw nothing that was visibly penetrated into the engine bay. I had started the car and tried to back it up off the tree, but it started and died shortly thereafter. However: no leaks I could see, condenser and radiator looked good...immediately apparent, obviously the fascia and the right rocker need to be replaced/fixed, but I have no clue what things look like underneath.

I'll be having it towed to a buddy's shop in the morning. He does absolutely outstanding work - both paint/body and mechanical, so there is no place I'd rather have it be. Airbags didn't go off, and I'm hoping it was some oddity with the stalling, so I am hoping we don't have a totaled car on our hands (especially given the actual value of one of these versus bluebook) - nothing else really exists out there that'll match it for efficiency and range.

And here I was mad about some jackass backing into it with their trailer hitch. :ROFLMAO:

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Grille Vehicle registration plate

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

People in nature Sky Nature Botany Leaf

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Grille Hood

Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Car

This was an absolute requirement once we all got home and got out of very wet clothing:
Tin Drinkware Beverage can Beer Aluminum can

Attachments

Reactions: Snipesy and Blasirl

·
Registered
220 Posts
Wow, glad she's ok cuz it coulda been alot worse. Overall I'd agree with you about it being primarily cosmetic and another upside is that our parts are relatively cheap. Also it's nice to know(for your own peace of mind)that it's gonna be fixed the right way.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Absolutely - I was talking with the fire department and we all agreed, if it had happened to fall onto her while she was driving, that could have turned out a lot worse - I'd be less worried if the whole thing fell across the pillars (aside from a fixing standpoint) because it's all hot stamp steel there...but if a branch went through the windshield...

The only thing that worries me is when I started it, it ran extremely rough and then turned off...but I'll know more once it's in a spot that's well lit and we can get it on a lift and see.

We have rental coverage through insurance, but honestly, with how expensive something even like a Spark is...might be giving my brother's Century some serious drive time now that he's got his Regal GS.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
3,923 Posts
@MP81 , I'm glad that your wife is ok. Have you looked up the value of the car to det an idea of if it might be salvageable?

Reactions: MP81

·
Premium Member
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, haven't looked it up yet, but I know the actual value is higher than KBB or something, especially being a diesel, but also with the current market. I'm really hoping it is. It seemed mostly cosmetic, but I really won't know until we get it to my buddy's shop and really look. The only thing that worries me is that it started and then shut off on its own. But when I popped the hood, nothing was in the engine bay. Nor did anything look to be into the condensor or rad when the bumper was ripped off while pulling it up the tow truck (because of, you know, half a goddamn tree underneath). Honestly, if it is totalled, I'll be in talks with my buddy to see what it'll cost and what not and just do a rebuilt title and buy it back - I'm not selling the car, so I don't give a **** about any of that.

Here is the tree that fell, by the way. You can see how close it was to power lines - had it fallen the wrong way...

Plant Sky Cloud Ecoregion Branch

·
Premium Member
2012 Cruze LTZ 1989 StarQuest 2004 TrialBlazer EXT
850 Posts
Glad your wife is ok bud.. I drowned my cruze yesterday....... low area 200 yda from work that usually has a small puddle in the rain.. this time it was to the bottom of the doors as I found iut too late... got all the water out of the motor already. Have to drain and change the oil tonight. Pulled the plugs and vacuumed out the cylinders with a small tube. Spins over freely so I'm hoping nothing is broken.. working on it again tonight...

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
I ran over a big tree that fell off a trailer in front of me. It didn’t matter cause it was a truck that had steel plates…. But it still hung up and required 2 tow trucks to get free. It had twisted around the drive shaft so simply lifting up one end wasn’t working.

And yeah the guy who did it drove away.

I can’t imagine doing it in a car…. So much plastic….

·
Premium Member
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I wish I had gotten a picture of the passenger side of the car because that's where you saw the majority of the tree it was hung up on. There was a branch from it sticking up into the underbody panel, but I'm not actually sure how far up it went because I didn't see it in the engine bay or in front of the condenser once we moved the car a bit, but it had shifted. I was smart enough to unplug the right fog light and the right side marker as the tree was ripping the bumper off so we at least don't have to deal with a destroyed harness as well. The tow truck driver seemed to not understand why I was doing that, but I mean...lets not wreck more ****?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
3,923 Posts
Glad your wife is ok bud.. I drowned my cruze yesterday....... low area 200 yda from work that usually has a small puddle in the rain.. this time it was to the bottom of the doors as I found iut too late... got all the water out of the motor already. Have to drain and change the oil tonight. Pulled the plugs and vacuumed out the cylinders with a small tube. Spins over freely so I'm hoping nothing is broken.. working on it again tonight...
Oh No Pat

·
Registered
460 Posts
OHHHH that sucks!!!!

It would probably be a good idea to dump some oil in the cylinders as well before start up as you likely wipes the oil off the walls and might have some corrosion starting already.

·
Premium Member
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OHHHH that sucks!!!!

It would probably be a good idea to dump some oil in the cylinders as well before start up as you likely wipes the oil off the walls and might have some corrosion starting already.
Definitely agreed.

Reactions: Valpo Cruze

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Yikes!

Nearly did exactly this one night in the middle of nowhere SW VA...and stopped about 3" from the tree, full ABS from 55 mph. Had to backtrack 20 miles to find another way around.

Glad your wife is OK - and looks like the car can be fixed! Hopefully the engine issue is something small like a boost hose torn underneath.

·
Premium Member
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yikes!

Nearly did exactly this one night in the middle of nowhere SW VA...and stopped about 3" from the tree, full ABS from 55 mph. Had to backtrack 20 miles to find another way around.

Glad your wife is OK - and looks like the car can be fixed! Hopefully the engine issue is something small like a boost hose torn underneath.
It was amazing how close people drove to the four police vehicles and two fire trucks before realizing they needed to turn around. Talking with the one officer who ended up hanging with us at the scene until we got the car fully loaded up, he said he was amazed yet not surprised - he had blocked both lanes of traffic on the freeway nearby for an accident, lights on, everything...and was just flabbergasted when people just...drove around his car and then were mad they got tickets.

And yes, the biggest thing was that she was okay - the car going up and over was probably a big part of that, since it avoided the crash bar and the load beams and lengthened the whole collision and slowed it down, which severely reduced the overall force of it all (which is the main theory behind how crumple zones work: Force=Impulse/time...so the larger you make that time, as Impulse is a constant equal to mass times the change in velocity, the lower the force is). I'm really hoping it truly is as cosmetic as it looked and we can just get it repaired and that the car stalling was something as simple as you suggested.

·
Premium Member
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got a picture of the remainder of the very rude tree on our way back from picking up the rental today:

Plant Sky Automotive mirror Street light Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Being the tree looks to be on a owned property, was it neglect of the owner letting the tree get too tall or neglected condition wise? Here in Florida folks leaver their half dead trees by the road stay and then are surprised when it crashes onto a car and get sued.
Dand I dig those retrofits. Wish I had the talent to do mine.

·
Premium Member
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, I think it was just a combination of the sheer amount of rain we got and the heavy winds at the same time (and from an abnormal direction). Being a willow (or some kind of weeping tree), it has a TON of little leaves, so every one getting saturated with water (making them very heavy) along with the winds just snapped the **** thing.

And yeah, they're fantastic - my buddy did them for us (as well as on my brother's Mustang) and did a really good job. Unfortunately, despite how excellent the light output is from them (and the LED fogs my wife also had on), the conditions prevented them from being of much use apparently when it came to seeing the downed tree.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
No, I think it was just a combination of the sheer amount of rain we got and the heavy winds at the same time (and from an abnormal direction). Being a willow (or some kind of weeping tree), it has a TON of little leaves, so every one getting saturated with water (making them very heavy) along with the winds just snapped the **** thing.

And yeah, they're fantastic - my buddy did them for us (as well as on my brother's Mustang) and did a really good job. Unfortunately, despite how excellent the light output is from them (and the LED fogs my wife also had on), the conditions prevented them from being of much use apparently when it came to seeing the downed tree.
Sometimes rain is so thick here in Florida at night that even having a 50inch light bar won’t help. Too and he isn’t my buddy or else I could have him do mine lol. In the blank area under the LED DRL lights I’m thinking of putting off-road LED cubes to help with size vision. Our factory lights suck.

·
Premium Member
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 28 Posts