Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@JLL recently purchased some aftermarket lights that seem to be a lot higher quality than what is typically available, and they had a pretty nice cutoff - something you'd be able to get from the interwebs...that said, I believe there are reputable websites that'll do retrofits for ya, as well. They're not cheap, but they're well, well worth it.

Having dual-color (3000K/5000K) LED fogs helps as well, just when you need even more foreground lighting in inclement weather. I can only imagine my wife wouldn't have even seen the tree at all to start braking with the stock lights (though the fogs weren't too bad).

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

Car Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
464 Posts
Being the tree looks to be on a owned property, was it neglect of the owner letting the tree get too tall or neglected condition wise? Here in Florida folks leaver their half dead trees by the road stay and then are surprised when it crashes onto a car and get sued.
Dand I dig those retrofits. Wish I had the talent to do mine.
With the proximity to the power lines no homeowner should EVER trim a tree like that. Leave it to the trained professionals with power line clearing experience. There is 4,000 or12,000 volts on those lines. It will kill you if you come in contact.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
With the proximity to the power lines no homeowner should EVER trim a tree like that. Leave it to the trained professionals with power line clearing experience. There is 4,000 or12,000 volts on those lines. It will kill you if you come in contact.
Well yah, I wouldn’t do it lol. Leave it to the pros. If they destroy my tree then their insurance covers a replacement and I won’t risk limb.

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The car finally was moved over to my buddy's shop, and it's pretty evident that the field adjuster missed very obvious things...like the fact the A-pillar has been impacted and the windshield is locally broken where a bunch of wood is jammed in. The hood is dented, the left fender has a dent, and the rocker is all dented up (I knew of the one in front, but couldn't see the other two - they apparently saw none of them).

Hood Textile Automotive tire Wood Material property

Window Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So, an update. With the new estimate for repairs being at least $8k, they made the decision to total the vehicle.

We are in the process of buying back/retaining the vehicle as I'm fairly confident that it's plenty repairable. I'll be stopping by today to grab the dog carrier out of the back, so I'll be able to see it in person, but I trust my buddy when it comes to what he's said, and it really doesn't sound like structure/major mechanical was impacted too much.

And now that it's not an insurance repair, it's possible that some things can simply be repaired instead of replaced. Things like, maybe the lower grill shutters are fine and can be moved to a new bumper...things like that.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
So, an update. With the new estimate for repairs being at least $8k, they made the decision to total the vehicle.

We are in the process of buying back/retaining the vehicle as I'm fairly confident that it's plenty repairable. I'll be stopping by today to grab the dog carrier out of the back, so I'll be able to see it in person, but I trust my buddy when it comes to what he's said, and it really doesn't sound like structure/major mechanical was impacted too much.

And now that it's not an insurance repair, it's possible that some things can simply be repaired instead of replaced. Things like, maybe the lower grill shutters are fine and can be moved to a new bumper...things like that.
F

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Took a look at the car yesterday and yeah, it's not what comes to mind when you think "totaled vehicle".

Oddly, the crash beam in the front is bent on the front left (just the upper tab)...but I actually think that's from whatever the hell backed into the car and made the hole I noticed a couple days prior to all this happening...if it was a trailer hitch as I suspect, that ******* must've been going FAST to bend the **** crash beam...

Overall though, the car looks perfectly solid. Fair bit of work - especially due to the procedure to replace even the A-pillar outer - but overall, it's mostly cosmetic. Mechanicals appear to, at this point in time, be the three coolers in the front and the charge pipe (which explains why it ran like absolute dogshit). Should know more here soon once my buddy has written up his quote for us.

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
My buddy got started on the larger of the issues - the A-pillar and the rocker. He asked if I'd be okay with him starting by pulling those to see if they could be repaired without having to dismantle half the side of the car to section it out, and I'm glad he did, because they look wonderful.

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Glove

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Surprisingly, despite there being a freaking tree underneath, the long underbody aero panel under the passenger side barely took a beating. This isn't even an attachment point, so I'll literally just gorilla tape the **** thing.

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Auto part Bumper

Wood Bat Tints and shades Automotive exterior Tree

The total estimate came out to just over $10k, but we got around $7700 back from the insurance company (once the deductible and vehicle buyback - the latter a whole $1000 - were factored in), so we really won't be out of pocket all that much, and a perfectly good (structurally/mechanically) car doesn't go to the scrapyard.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
My buddy got started on the larger of the issues - the A-pillar and the rocker. He asked if I'd be okay with him starting by pulling those to see if they could be repaired without having to dismantle half the side of the car to section it out, and I'm glad he did, because they look wonderful.

View attachment 294626
View attachment 294627
View attachment 294628

Surprisingly, despite there being a freaking tree underneath, the long underbody aero panel under the passenger side barely took a beating. This isn't even an attachment point, so I'll literally just gorilla tape the **** thing.

View attachment 294629
View attachment 294630

The total estimate came out to just over $10k, but we got around $7700 back from the insurance company (once the deductible and vehicle buyback - the latter a whole $1000 - were factored in), so we really won't be out of pocket all that much, and a perfectly good (structurally/mechanically) car doesn't go to the scrapyard.
Definitely insurance now a days rather just scrap the car then actually invest in properly fixing it. Sucks but is what it is. This is why I try to get price quotes for my car often and photos to fight insurance if I need to. Glad it’s coming along for ya.

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Definitely insurance now a days rather just scrap the car then actually invest in properly fixing it. Sucks but is what it is. This is why I try to get price quotes for my car often and photos to fight insurance if I need to. Glad it’s coming along for ya.
Well what my buddy told me is it's actually state law - at least for Michigan, they can't put more that 75% of the vehicle's value into the repairs. That said, you have to factor in salvage value as well, which will cause some vehicles to be totaled at far less than 75% of the vehicle value, simply because the insurance company can still get so much money out of it. Volts, apparently, are one of those - they'll total them for something as minor as a bumper cover.

But yeah, from an engineering standpoint (and myself as an overall very non-wasteful person), it's absolutely silly they totaled the car when it's pretty much negligible in regards to any "real" damage.

Yup, it's moving along now, which is good. It's amazing how expensive the lower shutters are for the '11-14 cars...the '15-16 vehicles are literally half the price, both for OE. It's so odd, but oh well, it is what it is - not getting rid of those.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Well what my buddy told me is it's actually state law - at least for Michigan, they can't put more that 75% of the vehicle's value into the repairs. That said, you have to factor in salvage value as well, which will cause some vehicles to be totaled at far less than 75% of the vehicle value, simply because the insurance company can still get so much money out of it. Volts, apparently, are one of those - they'll total them for something as minor as a bumper cover.

But yeah, from an engineering standpoint (and myself as an overall very non-wasteful person), it's absolutely silly they totaled the car when it's pretty much negligible in regards to any "real" damage.

Yup, it's moving along now, which is good. It's amazing how expensive the lower shutters are for the '11-14 cars...the '15-16 vehicles are literally half the price, both for OE. It's so odd, but oh well, it is what it is - not getting rid of those.
That law sounds like something the insurance lobby set up.I hate waste, scrapping a good car is horrible for the environment and my wallet.

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That law sounds like something the insurance lobby set up.I hate waste, scrapping a good car is horrible for the environment and my wallet.
Absolutely. Sometimes it works in opposite levels of stupidity - there is an S5 at my buddy's shop that has been there for five months because the insurance company A) refuses to total it and B) refuses to pay more than something like $6k in repairs...my buddy quoted it at $21k, which was confirmed by an Audi certified repair shop as being spot-on.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Absolutely. Sometimes it works in opposite levels of stupidity - there is an S5 at my buddy's shop that has been there for five months because the insurance company A) refuses to total it and B) refuses to pay more than something like $6k in repairs...my buddy quoted it at $21k, which was confirmed by an Audi certified repair shop as being spot-on.
So in the mean time the company just keeps paying a rental daily. Very wasteful Vs just totaling it and be done.

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So in the mean time the company just keeps paying a rental daily. Very wasteful Vs just totaling it and be done.
If I were to guess, the rental coverage ran out long ago - ours was only covered for a max of 30 days. I'm pretty sure the owner went and bought another car in the meantime while this has just been sitting there in limbo.

And don't worry, they're trying to stiff the shop on storage fees during the entire time, too.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
If I were to guess, the rental coverage ran out long ago - ours was only covered for a max of 30 days. I'm pretty sure the owner went and bought another car in the meantime while this has just been sitting there in limbo.

And don't worry, they're trying to stiff the shop on storage fees during the entire time, too.
The amount of BS we allow insurance companies to pull is bonkers.

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
21 - 37 of 37 Posts