Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Battling up a snow-covered hill in 1st gear, traction control off. Rocking the steering wheel left and right. Creeping forward. No clutch slipping that I noticed. Running at 2,000 to 3,000 rpm. Snow building up underneath. THEN, 1/2 way up the hill, warning chime, "Service Traction Control" blue message. ABS, Brake, Traction Control, and Stabilitrack warning lights come on and stay on. Two neighbors push. I MAKE IT to the plowed cross street and deliver my wife to work. She is a care-giver to ill and dying people.

The manual transmission ECO is safely back in the garage now while I hope that things cool off and the computer re-sets. All the lights remained lit as I parked. Anybody experience this before? Anybody now if I might have done serious damage to the car or system? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Could be a bit of snow/ice crap got on a wheel speed sensor, or even a connector got a bit wet. Had my service ABS/traction control go off last winter during a blizzard, reset the codes and they have not came back in almost 30K miles.

My wheel wells were very packed with wet snow when this happened, haven't let them get so bad again.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
As stated above, sounds like a wheel speed sensor stopped picking up. Try to thaw it out if you can and all should be fine.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Snow packed in the wheel well and on the inside of the wheel will cause this. Once it melts the next start will register properly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the kind words everybody. The wheel wells were certainly full! I will keep the garage semi-warm and will hope for positive outcome as you all discussed.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, wasn't a problem with studded snow tires and limited slip differentials, and none of all this electronic crap.

Is now.

Most vehicles built prior to OBD II that became law in 1996 had self diagnosis built in. Besides requiring a scanner, created yet another problem by storing code in erasable memory that is yet another brand new problem that never existed before. That code can be erased!

Instead of advertising how great these new vehicles are, should be saying, if you want problems, we have problems.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
A few weeks ago, my car put up a message on the iMID screen (DIC in the Cruze) to check the gas cap for proper tightness. Sure enough, I hadn't cranked it down properly (four clicks). Problem solved.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lately it seems to me that cars are not cars anylonger. Instead of cars, we are driving piles of hardware. Hardware that can do nothing if the software isn't working or very little if the software is not happy. The software is now just as important as the hardware. Many of the members probably groked this already. The younger ones did but don't know what "grok" means.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Most of this technological mess it due to safety and emissions systems, so if any of that goes down there are problems. Funniest thing or maybe the saddest is that one can still drive around relatively normally with airbag and ABS lights on, but (at least with the diesel) you forget your DEF refill you ain't going nowhere son. :huh: I still don't understand this.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Computers with engines and on wheels.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
If you want to hear it straight from an old broken down engineer. The only difference in a military solid state device and a consumer grade device, is that military grade devices are tested to military specifications. Such a thing called yield rates in manufacturing. Those that do not pass the military specifications are so-called consumer grade.

Depending on the device, may only cost a a fraction of a cent more, but were never allowed to purchase military grade, must be operational from -40*C to 125*C, consumer grade is 0*C to 70*C, quite a difference. And the automobile is such exposed to a military environment. For the consumer, you may be lucky or unlucky, deals primarily with leakage currents.

Also have no idea where they are saving money using what is called flashram to store this very important code. Just a 0.75 V transient on the wrong pin can either erase this code or corrupt it. PROM's were the only choice until 1996 with the advent of the internet. Some idiot decided would be cheaper to update the code over the internet than to provide a new PROM chip. But the consumer is paying around 85 bucks per hour for some exhaust only changing mechanic to download this code and to reflash your RAM. As oppose to sending out an 89 cent chip with the code permanently burnt in that will never change.

Worse case scenario is elevated temperatures where the leakage current doubles every 10*C that can also corrupt the code, lose one bit and the computer will crash. One key reason why I selected a white colored car with a light tan interior.

Don't blame engineers for this, any engineer worth his salt knows this, but can't tell you the number of times, was told to do it or will find somebody else that will. If the American public would know this, would leave these vehicles in the showroom. I also started paying 150 bucks per year for towing insurance.

Yet another hardship was dealing with the EPA, have yet to meet an EPA engineer that could handle the industrial world where you also have to show a profit to keep your job. But they have all the power!

And you wonder why you have problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts