1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Here are the cons for the Cruze:

• Almost $30k for a Cruze?
  • Subpar Highway MPG
  • Loud

First one: is that a joke? Since when was "Cruze" supposed to represent cheap? There is nothing cheap or low quality about the Cruze. That to me was a blatant display of bias. They were LOOKING for things to find wrong with the car.

Second one, as you noted, is a joke. People have seen 58mpg with this car on the highway.

Third one is also a joke. There is more sound insulation in that car than in the Buick Verano. The test was rigged from the start. Shame on Autoguide.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Read that awhile ago. I do poke around TDIclub sometimes and some of the rationalization there is frightening. My cruze hasn't proven to be better than a modern TDI yet because it's brand new but it surely hasn't proven to be as prolifically flawed as the modern CR TDI yet...

The funny thing is, just being into the diesel revival in general I tried to join TDIclub figuring the members there would just be into diesel in general and like to hear about my experiences with my cruze....NOPE my membership request was denied. I figure it's because I said my vehicle was a 2014 cruze diesel. What a bunch of idiots. Seriously.

There are a few members who don't have their heads up their ass and see their cars for what they are but many people are just nuts.

I don't necessarily think my car is better then a TDI YET, and am willing to let time pass and see. When I purchased it, it had more of what I was looking for then the Jetta TDI that I test drove and also looked at. It just SEEMED to be a more quality product. Time will tell. Too bad TDIclub wasn't interested in hearing any first hand experience.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
That's a joke. One of the most ridiculous comparisons between the two cars I've seen. 39 mpg on the highway in the Cruze? Were they driving 80 mph into a 20 mph headwind on the highway the whole time? A buddy of mine has a new jetta TDI, my car beats his with ease in the fuel economy department.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Seemed like a fair and well ridden article to me.

My English 102 teacher would have given me an A+ for writing that, same for my science teacher since it stayed within the accepted and documented test procedures!

For instance here's a paragraph from that article.
"The Jetta skips aero tricks and extra safety gear. While blind spot monitoring is nice to have, the Jetta turned out to be the winner here with 47 mpg on the highway compared to 39 in the Cruze."

In all seriousness that paragraph, the one about the Cruze having more power (they never mentioned if it made more power on "overboost" or normal power), and the huge mpg variance (jetta got way better than advertised and Cruze got way under!?) Disqualified that article as being a quality piece.

People on Facebook write more coherent post than that!

Then there's the obvious, biased flaws. I can see it now, retard testing the Cruze leaves it in M mode and revs the pis$ out of it around town and then does 80 on the interstate in 5th and exclaims "Durr It's noisy and gets bad gas mileage, but are is good aceleratttiion". Meanwhile MR. V-Dub drives sensibly and goes 60 on the interstate, then resets DIC and exclaims (while sipping whine with a pinky up) "My dear good chap, the ride is most quiet and fuel economy is exceptional".

I'll put it this way. Even if I hated the Cruze and GM and loved my Jetta TDI, I would consider that article absolute garbage because, sh!tty writing is sh!tty. And if a professional writer makes garbage like that you can expect the testing to be as flawed.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Here are the cons for the Cruze:

• Almost $30k for a Cruze?
  • Subpar Highway MPG
  • Loud

First one: is that a joke? Since when was "Cruze" supposed to represent cheap? There is nothing cheap or low quality about the Cruze. That to me was a blatant display of bias. They were LOOKING for things to find wrong with the car.

Second one, as you noted, is a joke. People have seen 58mpg with this car on the highway.

Third one is also a joke. There is more sound insulation in that car than in the Buick Verano. The test was rigged from the start. Shame on Autoguide.
It's frustrating to read an article comparing vehicles and they never say: "yes, the TDI base price is less than the Cruze TD, but it doesn't include, 4 wheel disks, back up camera, and an automatic transmission...when you add these accessories to the TDI, it's clearly more expensive". Also, the blind spot monitor and other safety options were the most expensive options you can get on the Cruze...so they say, "the Cruze is expensive".

Their mpg calculations were horrible, compared to real "real world" performance. Just wish the articles would give our Cruze a fair shake! Give us a break and compare apples to apples!

·
Site Sponsor
9 Posts
I'm really impressed with the HORRID fuel economy results. I don't think the reviewers really understood how to fill these cars, and if they were using the in-dash display...well, no "reporting" should ever be done on the a basis of the in-dash displays.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Read that awhile ago. I do poke around TDIclub sometimes and some of the rationalization there is frightening. My cruze hasn't proven to be better than a modern TDI yet because it's brand new but it surely hasn't proven to be as prolifically flawed as the modern CR TDI yet...

The funny thing is, just being into the diesel revival in general I tried to join TDIclub figuring the members there would just be into diesel in general and like to hear about my experiences with my cruze....NOPE my membership request was denied. I figure it's because I said my vehicle was a 2014 cruze diesel. What a bunch of idiots. Seriously.

There are a few members who don't have their heads up their ass and see their cars for what they are but many people are just nuts.

I don't necessarily think my car is better then a TDI YET, and am willing to let time pass and see. When I purchased it, it had more of what I was looking for then the Jetta TDI that I test drove and also looked at. It just SEEMED to be a more quality product. Time will tell. Too bad TDIclub wasn't interested in hearing any first hand experience.
I'm still a member over there (previous 2009 TDI) and traded it in due to the hpfp implosions. My TDI was a great car, but after having it for 2.5 years I decided sleep was better than staying up at night worrying about it.

When I left I did a comparsion between my 2009 TDI and my new 2012 Cruze and was pretty unbiased, but of course they didn't want to hear it. There are members at TDIClub who've had 2 hpfp's implode at a cost of $8000 each. Right now VW has been covering the repair even after the warranty is over. But it's only a matter of time before they say that you're SOL.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I am sorry but the cruze TDU has a good motor,injection system and transmission ..The rest is ok ..nothing to write home about ..If you want a real diesel that's above the rest ,go try a BMW 335D.I can say both VW and GM dealers and I feel the GM are worse from what I have seen so far . Not to sound like a negative Nelly but I am VERY disappointed with both the cruze TDI and GM support. This will be my last GM Product .Lets see 30 for a new Cruze TDI 34 k for a used low mileage Certified BWM 335D... My bmw has given me ZERO problems and has a VERY Aggressive tune on it ..The cruze TD been a total nightmare on a brand new car ! never again GM .
First and foremost, comparing a Cruze to a BMW 3 series is not even logical. Second, 30K for a Cruze Diesel? Where are you getting your prices? Full MSRP with every single option might be close to 30K but who pays that? Go full MSRP on a 335D and see where you are at, I am betting north of 40k. There are always going to be cars that have issues, search around I am sure there are people who hate their 335D.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
I am sorry but the cruze TDU has a good motor, injection system and transmission. The rest is ok. Nothing to write home about. If you want a real diesel that's above the rest, go try a BMW 335D. I can say both VW and GM dealers and I feel the GM are worse from what I have seen so far. Not to sound like a negative Nelly but I am VERY disappointed with both the cruze TDI and GM support. This will be my last GM Product. Lets see 30 for a new Cruze TDI 34 k for a used low mileage Certified BWM 335D. My BMW has given me ZERO problems and has a VERY Aggressive tune on it. The cruze TD been a total nightmare on a brand new car! Never again GM.
Sounds (to me) like GM really, really, really, needs to TRAIN their Mr/Ms GOODWRENCHS about their products BEFORE they (GM) even THINK about selling them.

GM makes mistakes, but it's the GOOD (or BAD) WRENCHS that customers have to interface with over problems -- Detroit is just a city somewhere up north in a state called Michigan -- so, it is the local yocal's who MAKE or BREAK customer faith in products and brands. Of course, if GM made perfect cars, they wouldn't NEED dealers with service departments!

Reactions: sx sonic

·
Registered
261 Posts
Dieselman33, I agree and yes might be a few people that dislike the BMW 335D . I went to BMW welt Munich to collect my car . It was the best read trip I did and perhaps one of the reasons I am Biased on this car , Yes even used they range 32 to 40 k used. I am really going to give the cruze a fair chance before I get rid of the car and wash my hands off it for good. I have taken a few road trips and its great on long trips and will get stellar MPG if kept @ 60-65 MPH. 65 MPG seems to be the sweet spot for this car for over the top MPG.

·
Registered
228 Posts
That's a joke. One of the most ridiculous comparisons between the two cars I've seen. 39 mpg on the highway in the Cruze? Were they driving 80 mph into a 20 mph headwind on the highway the whole time? A buddy of mine has a new jetta TDI, my car beats his with ease in the fuel economy department.
I agree the comparison was a joke. 39 mpg was what I got doing 80 mph into a headwind through Nebraska last weekend.

Dieselman33, I agree and yes might be a few people that dislike the BMW 335D . I went to BMW welt Munich to collect my car . It was the best read trip I did and perhaps one of the reasons I am Biased on this car , Yes even used they range 32 to 40 k used. I am really going to give the cruze a fair chance before I get rid of the car and wash my hands off it for good. I have taken a few road trips and its great on long trips and will get stellar MPG if kept @ 60-65 MPH. 65 MPG seems to be the sweet spot for this car for over the top MPG.
For better than estimated you are correct. But that's normal for almost any car. I just wish that the transmission was an 8 speed so that I could run below 2k rpm at 80mph.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I have never been able to get 39MPG at 64.4 MPH on the highway - At that speed, even in winter with snow tires and a headwind, worst case I am getting 45. In warm weather with normal tires, at that speed I am well into the 50s.

I will say this - that's the first review I have ever seen of the Cruze that said the rear seat was roomy lol

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I really like that GM basically used much of what they learned from the very successful Duramax and applied the same principles to this car. It even uses the same reliable high pressure fuel pump that's not grenading engines like the one that VW keeps using.

It's early obviously but it seems like SO far the quirks discovered on the diesel cruze match certain ones in the gasser cruze. Such as the steering issue. If that's the biggest thing I have to worry about....WINNING.

I'm reading stories of plenty of 2012 and 2013 TDI's with many big problems luckily covered under warranty but would be enough to scare me away from keeping the car outside of the warranty. I wonder if the cruze with have any problems with frozen intercoolers or intercoolers filling up with enough water that when the user continually cranks their engine and it eventually starts it gets hydrolocked bending a rod. Yes this has happened on Jetta and Golf TDI's. It's not an issue on the newest passat TDI.

Our forum member "Diesel" is the proverbial Guinea Pig is any high mileage problems we may be facing down the line! :) I do quite a bit of around town driving as you can see by my fuelly signature so I'm more of a test case for problems developed from short trips/dpf life/etc.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,524 Posts
You know, I wonder if they just got their hands on the Cruze Diesel and did this test in very, very cold temps (and maybe the VW does better on highway fuel economy in cold temps). Lots here have said they notice their MPG fall off in cold temps.

Nonetheless, this would be the first comparison test I've seen where the VW beat the Cruze on highway fuel economy. I've read so many others where it was the other way around, though the VW would do better in city fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
A while back I bought a used 2007 Mercedes diesel ML320 SUV. When it wasn't broke it was a great vehicle. However it had some problems and I took it to the dealer and expected world class service. The service was worse than GM. They acted like it was a privilege to spend boatloads of money to not have my car fixed. When I complained about it on the Mercedes forum I was rebuffed by Mercedes apologists. Some people are just drinking the car maker kool aid. They will never concede a defect. I replaced the vehicle with a new Silverado for the same price. I will buy a new GM over a used German car. Both break. Both have horrible service. From what I hear VW people have a lot in common with Mercedes people.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
1 bad biased review:10000 good reviews.

We have a good ratio going on
Unfortunately it will take another 10,000 good reviews to make this one bad review "disappear". And the VW apologists will keep this review alive as long as they possibly can.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Our forum member "Diesel" is the proverbial Guinea Pig is any high mileage problems we may be facing down the line! :) I do quite a bit of around town driving as you can see by my fuelly signature so I'm more of a test case for problems developed from short trips/dpf life/etc.
Haha yeah. So far after just under 36K miles there have been no issues. I am eager to see how this car ages.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.