Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's come down to this, unfortunately. I've tried saving my pennies and still can't afford the red oculus price pickups are going for and being in the electrical field I drive to very unfavorable areas/roads and have seen rust early this year, all fixed with VHT Chasis Paint however I'm the preventative maintenance type of young man. I've decided to undercoat however are there any areas I should strictly stay away from or even tape off (sensors or what-not) and areas anyone suggests I pay extra close attention too? My car has run and looks beautiful for 4 years and I'm going to keep it that way!

2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ 1.4L Turbo

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Fluid Film FTW.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Kind of nice to have at least one vehicle with a frame underneath it. Never really looked into undercoating, kid did on his new T&C, said that would void the five year rust through warranty, also said that about putting any protection on his interior. But his dealer was sure trying to talk him into spending this extra amount of money.

Where is the fine print on the Cruze.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Undercoating is perfectly fine to do. And if you get it on a few electrical connections it will not hurt them. Anyone telling you it will void a warranty is lying unless you have rust and the prove it was the cause of it.

One the biggest things you can do is do under carriage wash it the winter after a snow asap. Also wipe down door and door frames including the trunk. Dirt built up can cause salt to built up and start rust. Also look for lower body paint chips and fix as possible.

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,882 Posts
Yep - e-coat is pretty awesome, and really cool to watch them do at the plants. Also, the metal itself is usually a galvanneal or galvanized coating, so you essentially get a second layer of corrosion protection there.

Now - if you get a chip deep enough, it will break through the paint, primer and e-coat, and that's where you can still get rust. That's where the added "rubberiness" of undercoating helps, as it is a lot harder to chip something that isn't really hard.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok guys, just finished it a few hours ago, been a little chilly and wet today but washed her down and took her for a little drive before I did it so hopefully it was clean and warm enough, 4 rubberized undercoat cans later and 99% of everything is covered I can lift her up on a fork lift later so week so maybe I will and see the dried product and how well I covered it. Thanks for the feedback

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, so it's dripping wet and I think it may be the cold/humidity/thick coats/wet surface I painted on. What do I do to get this to dry so it's not a wasted effort!?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Watch you undercoating. Rubberized stuff tends to look good for a bit and then it cracks and holds in moisture, causing rust. What you want is a very thin undercoating. Fluid film is amazing stuff except it doesn't get into tight spots well.

Krown is top notch and is amazing stuff. Rust check is garbage and only good for lawnmowe maintenance

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
It's come down to this, unfortunately. I've tried saving my pennies and still can't afford the red oculus price pickups are going for and being in the electrical field I drive to very unfavorable areas/roads and have seen rust early this year, all fixed with VHT Chasis Paint however I'm the preventative maintenance type of young man. I've decided to undercoat however are there any areas I should strictly stay away from or even tape off (sensors or what-not) and areas anyone suggests I pay extra close attention too? My car has run and looks beautiful for 4 years and I'm going to keep it that way!

Hey they told me to give this to Ya .. Don't ask me whom they are because that's a Secret .

Cartoon Illustration Animated cartoon Fictional character Animation

Reactions: sparkman

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Where you are, a heated garage for a day or so is the likely solution, especially if you applied heavy coats of the stuff. Looks like another journey into the YOYO zone.

Reactions: brian v

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Where you are, a heated garage for a day or so is the likely solution, especially if you applied heavy coats of the stuff. Looks like another journey into the YOYO zone.
So you know about that YoYo Zone Too . Don't we all ..A part of Growing with age and determination !

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advice I get the idea but not why it's called yo yo zone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Thanks for the advice I get the idea but not why it's called yo yo zone
You're On Your Own i.e. There's nothing anyone can do to fix the issue, so....

·
Registered
508 Posts
To think, I remember those days clearly....the zeal, the determination, the raw effort of trying to protect the underbody of a car in the north. This is the reason why I believe there should be some type of discount on automobiles for those who can prove they are long time residents of northern, snowy climates. To have to pay a price for something that only last half the life of its exact counterparts in less cold/snowy climates is just ridiculous. I'm so glad I relocated to myrtle beach sc from northeast Ohio. Albeit for other reasons, I was almost tempted to move down south based on cars alone. But you keep fighting the fine fight. Know that you are at least respected for your efforts. I been there and quite frankly that mess sucks. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Watch you undercoating. Rubberized stuff tends to look good for a bit and then it cracks and holds in moisture, causing rust. What you want is a very thin undercoating. Fluid film is amazing stuff except it doesn't get into tight spots well.

Krown is top notch and is amazing stuff. Rust check is garbage and only good for lawnmowe maintenance
Never thought about that.. Is that a guarantee? Or just with the super cheap stuff?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
All the rubberized stuff I see does it. Definitely anything from a rattle can. A professionally sprayed undercoating may not but we don't have that around here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts