Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding the setting "speed,fuel range,instantantaneous fuel economy" I noticed at idle is 0-mpg,while driving it varies all over the place,when slowing down it reads 99-mpg,is this normal? What is the best setting to know my true fuel economy perhaps the trip setting? Thanks so much

·
Registered
196 Posts
Instantaneous mpg is just an equation of how fast the car is moving vs consumption of fuel. So basically unless you have it on cruise control it doesn't mean squat.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Yes the trip MPG is the best way in the car to see your overall average, for a more accurate number though check the math when filling up. The instant mpg will help teach you how to better drive your car for MPG. I reset trip 1 for current drive, I leave trip 2 for my tank average.

The instant readout reads zero MPG when your not moving since you are burning gas & not going anywhere. If you were on the trip computer the average would be going down in the same instance(idling).

·
Super Moderator
5,180 Posts
I noticed the same thing with my 2012 Eco and it jumps around from 99-0 to something else had me wondering also. I seem to be in the mid 30s after 100 miles. I just change it to the MPH and avoid looking at that jumping around(drives me nuts)

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
Yes the trip MPG is the best way in the car to see your overall average, for a more accurate number though check the math when filling up. The instant mpg will help teach you how to better drive your car for MPG. I reset trip 1 for current drive, I leave trip 2 for my tank average.

The instant readout reads zero MPG when your not moving since you are burning gas & not going anywhere. If you were on the trip computer the average would be going down in the same instance(idling).
This is different on the Australian Cruze as it gives liters per 100km while moving and switches to liters per hour when idling.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
It's the same display those of us with the ECO have. I have spent considerable time well over 50 MPG in my ECO MT. 0-99 really does make a lot of sense.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Makes sense,So when I fill up reset one of the trips? Thanks
It will give you a pretty accurate MPG number for the tank that way. As long as you don't reset until the next fill up, that trip computer will give you the miles on that tank, next fill up just divided the pump gallons into the miles so you can see exactly what you got.

Nice thing is if you use trip 2 as your tank average & trip 1 as the current trip all you need to do is roll the controls toward you once to see the current trip average, roll forward once to go back to the screen with speed, range & instant MPG.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
0-40 mpg would have my car pegged at 40 mpg a lot...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well,tried out the cruise set at 58mph while watching the mpg which ranged from 34-38,going up a bridge with cruise still at same speed dropped mpg down to 20-22mpg.The system is pretty neat after understanding it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts