Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't quite understandthe MPG calculations from reading the owners manual. I have a 2014 Cruze ECO, so I have afew extra features in the instrument panel relative to MPG calculations. I always liked to utilize the calculations that were available on my other cars. With those vehicles, youcould always reset the Average MPG calculations anytime you wanted, which Ialways liked to do as I started a trip, so that I could really see what fueleconomy I was getting on the freeway. With my Cruse ECO, I don't believethat you can reset the calculations, but you can change the settings so that itwill compute for one of these; 1) the past 25 miles, 2) the past 50 miles, or3) the past 500 miles. I'm not sure when it actually starts those miles -for example, how far back does it go when I change the setting from say, 50miles to 25 miles? And, if I'm looking for the "latest" averagemileage - that will change for the most recent timeframe - wouldn't it be bestto just leave the setting at 25 miles?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,533 Posts
Just reset a trip meter - there are 2. They have average MPG in the middle line.

The "game display" (25/50/500 miles) resets when you reset it and starts from that point or keeps a rolling average of the last 25/50 miles if you don't reset it. It's just there to encourage you to drive more and more efficiently.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
There are multiple trip screens on your car. The first one shows the digital speed, "instant" MPG, and distance to empty. Then there are two trip odometers that show the distance travelled, average MPG, and average speed since you last reset them. There will also be screens showing fuel consumed, time since reset, and possibly other information. These are reasonably standard on all Cruzen.

The car information screens show things like Oil Life % remaining, Tire pressure, Voltage, Engine Coolant Temperatures (for those of us with 2011 and early 2012s), and an option to switch between US, Metric, and Imperial.

The final set of screens are the ECO specific screens. These screens show rolling averages for 25, 50, and 500 miles (US). The Canadian uses a slightly different set of distances in KM. The graph interval is 50 miles. The 2012s only have the rolling average MPG (25/50/500 miles). I keep mine on the 500 mile interval. It's amazingly hard difficult to keep this display maxed at 50 MPG. I believe the 2013s and 2014s will show more than 50 MPG on these displays. I'm not sure how useful the ECO index display is - if you're keeping your graph's 50 Mile intervals and 500 mile moving average pegged at 50 MPG the ECO index is probably always pegged at 100%.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts