Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if it's because my Code Reader doesn't understand it or not - but at least on one occasion, we've gotten a code thrown that the scanner can't pick up. It sees there's a code, but doesn't tell me what code it is. If I clear it, it's not something that comes back. My wife said it came on again the other day, but I didn't scan or clear it, and it's not there currently (as of yesterday, it's telling us the side detection needs service, apparently).

Any thoughts on this mystery CEL? Car runs fine, no issues noticed when it pops that code.

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
Just a SWAG - but are you still running on the original battery?

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, original battery with the negative cable TSB taken care of.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I've had issues with various code readers. The ones at the auto parts stores always seem to work. Might be worth swinging by and having them pull your codes. The ones around here do that for free.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah, ours are free too. Usually the code is gone by then, though it should be stored.

Car has to go to the dealer anyway ("Service Side Detection" as of yesterday), maybe they can pull it while it's there.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The only two CELs I have had so far are the O2 sensor (sooted up) and the #2 EGT. Neither presented any drivability or running symptoms whatsoever. The #2 EGT actually went away on its own before it came back.

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
Is your car clean? I wonder if there's any mud or ice that's interfering with the sensor?

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just dirty from some salt on there - but we've gotten rain as of late, so it's more just "on there" now. No ice or mud or anything like that.

It might be unrelated, but thinking about it now, maybe in the past week or so (before the code went off), there were a couple false alarms on one of the sides when backing out of the driveway, and clearly nothing was there. Probably related...

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will do.

Swapping cars with my wife here at work today (she gets to drive the RaceCav home, lucky her. Poor girl can barely see over the dash with the 4th Gen Camaro seats in there, haha), swinging by WalMart to grab some of their DEF ($7 for 2.5 gal, and it's API-certified, so good to go) since she got the warning for speed limitation due to low DEF (soon, I'm guessing, because she was doing 75-80 on the freeway with that message). Filling that up (at least one of the containers), then dropping the car off at the dealer.

I'm wondering if the sensor issue is causing interference with the key fobs or something strange. Guess we'll see.

Car is over 36k miles, so I'm hoping I don't have to pay a fortune for **** that shouldn't be broken anyway...

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
i know with big trucks, we would get codes active and non active, but the non actives would still read on the laptop...

does your scanner show inactive codes?

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not that I know of - it's only a cheap scanner. I'd bet if it were a Tech 2 clone or something similar it would.

So an update thus far: CEL hasn't made a return yet, but did some investigation of my own before throwing in 2.5 gallons of DEF mostly in the tank (yeah, I spilled a little...but not a ton...glad there were about 45 napkins handy in the trunk to clean up the 1/8 cup or so of Urea, whoops...) with the key fob.

It has to do with the LEDs...but only if the Dome Lights are left to entry mode (turning on when the door is opened, and off when the close). If I turn the dome lights to off or fully on, it's fine...I sat in the car with the entry mode on, and as soon as the dome light dimmed and turned off, I was able to do the second press easily. Very strange - but definitely not the car's fault - some weird interference from the LEDs in only one mode though...thoughts?

Having driven the car since my wife mentioned the issue with the "side detection", I can see what she said - it's sporadic, and will usually notify you multiple times during a drive - though I had one drive where it didn't tell me at all.

Dropped it off at the dealer for that and the oil change (since I "figured out" the root of the key fob, I told them not to bother with it, as I don't believe it to be a vehicle fault - rather, a strange occurrence related to LED lighting that we can maybe live with), and our dealer was great as usual. Even though we passed the warranty period for bumper to bumper by less than 1000 miles, they're going to cover it under warranty and gave my wife a 2016 Traverse as a loaner. Great group of people there.

Assuming the get an idea what the **** is going on with the sensors, I'll update the thread. As far as the CEL goes, well..I forgot to ask..haha. They're doing their normal 27-point inspection, so maybe they'll read stored codes (I did tell them up front I know the fuel filter is at 2%, and I have a new one to install).

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picked the car up yesterday - dealer said one of the sensors had gone bad and was causing the error, so they replaced it. Oil change is completed as well.

However, my wife says she still gets the side detection message...is that something they forgot to clear, or is it still bad? Might have her stop back by and have them take a look next week. Not that it's needed, but it's just one more annoying message to have to cancel on the drive down to NC next weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Picked the car up yesterday - dealer said one of the sensors had gone bad and was causing the error, so they replaced it. Oil change is completed as well.

However, my wife says she still gets the side detection message...is that something they forgot to clear, or is it still bad? Might have her stop back by and have them take a look next week. Not that it's needed, but it's just one more annoying message to have to cancel on the drive down to NC next weekend.
When you say a side detection message, does your Cruze have blind spot monitor? Not sure I understand what you mean?

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, we have the safety package. Rear sensors work when backing up, but it's speaking of the blind spot monitors - it refers to them as "Side Detection" on the DIC.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts

She should not be getting the message if they fixed it properly. Most likely there's still a problem somewhere.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is my thought. The lights on the mirrors come on at startup, but it says there is an issue. Since it's a repair, she can probably bring it back in and have them look at it. Maybe they just forgot to plug the sensor in. Any idea where the side detection sensors are? I might be able to take a look when I'm under the car doing the fuel filter tomorrow.

·
Registered
791 Posts
That is my thought. The lights on the mirrors come on at startup, but it says there is an issue. Since it's a repair, she can probably bring it back in and have them look at it. Maybe they just forgot to plug the sensor in. Any idea where the side detection sensors are? I might be able to take a look when I'm under the car doing the fuel filter tomorrow.
their all in the rear bumper.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, that's what I thought.

My wife got the car washed yesterday morning, and upon taking a trip over to the mall around lunch time - the sensors worked just fine.

On the drive home - nope, stopped working again. Weird as ****.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
It has to do with the LEDs...but only if the Dome Lights are left to entry mode (turning on when the door is opened, and off when the close). If I turn the dome lights to off or fully on, it's fine...I sat in the car with the entry mode on, and as soon as the dome light dimmed and turned off, I was able to do the second press easily. Very strange - but definitely not the car's fault - some weird interference from the LEDs in only one mode though...thoughts?
I'm not sure what problem you're referring to here. But if you've got LEDs in the front dome light, it might be causing interference with the fob receiver which is only a few inches away. But only when the LED is lit.

My wife got the car washed yesterday morning, and upon taking a trip over to the mall around lunch time - the sensors worked just fine.

On the drive home - nope, stopped working again. Weird as ****.
The side sensors are in the bumper area - right where the rear tires would throw all kind of crud. If they're not perfectly weather proof ..... I just hope you took it into the dealer for that before you went over 36,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts