Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yes, Ive looked at many of the thousands of posts about coolant loss, the most common failure points in the system, parts to replace, and each post usually has something in common... some sort of leaky evidence giving its owner confidence in where the leak is. However this is not the case, after many attempts at locating the leak, Ive come out dry (pun intended). Many idling sessions, and post driving sessions later, still haven't found it. Ive attached a few photos at the common spots I've checked, however I've checked many more... just hard to get pictures of them all. At this point I'm ready to go ahead and order everything... new thermostat, new reservoir, new water outlet, new return hose, new everything to just try and combat this issue. This used to be a slow leak, requiring me to top off after every couple weeks, however now has required almost daily maintenance - which astounds me even more that this leak is no where to be found. There was a point in time where the fan would kick into high no matter the temp, which led me to believe that this was a thermostat issue, maybe even a leaky one that would fix my coolant loss problem... however current day, the fan has decided to be perfectly normal, oddly normal. At this point its almost as if this car is out to get me, pulling my strings and messing with me left and right. Any help would be great, as I'd rather not replace everything if not needed.

(More sandy then usual, but you get the idea)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Same issue for Gen1, same fix I'd recommend:

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Before going to all that work, I'd do a compression test. If you've tried that hard to find a leak and losing that much coolant, that suggests it's going into the combustion chamber and out the tailpipe. If that's the case, all those parts will do nothing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Look at South Main Auto Channel on YouTube. He has a video with a cracked cylinder head near the torque down bolts that leaks water when under pressure but then due to the operating temperature boils off inside the valve cover. Take your valve cover off and if half of the internals off the head look washed clean you have the same issue.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,486 Posts
Looks like you have a pretty big oil leak around the thermostat area as well. Maybe camshaft sensor seals or valve cover.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So yes, Ive looked at many of the thousands of posts about coolant loss, the most common failure points in the system, parts to replace, and each post usually has something in common... some sort of leaky evidence giving its owner confidence in where the leak is. However this is not the case, after many attempts at locating the leak, Ive come out dry (pun intended). Many idling sessions, and post driving sessions later, still haven't found it. Ive attached a few photos at the common spots I've checked, however I've checked many more... just hard to get pictures of them all. At this point I'm ready to go ahead and order everything... new thermostat, new reservoir, new water outlet, new return hose, new everything to just try and combat this issue. This used to be a slow leak, requiring me to top off after every couple weeks, however now has required almost daily maintenance - which astounds me even more that this leak is no where to be found. There was a point in time where the fan would kick into high no matter the temp, which led me to believe that this was a thermostat issue, maybe even a leaky one that would fix my coolant loss problem... however current day, the fan has decided to be perfectly normal, oddly normal. At this point its almost as if this car is out to get me, pulling my strings and messing with me left and right. Any help would be great, as I'd rather not replace everything if not needed.

(More sandy then usual, but you get the idea)

View attachment 283438
View attachment 283439
View attachment 283440
View attachment 283441
View attachment 283442
View attachment 283443
I had an issue with the reservoir. It was not leaking from any of the spots you have taken pictures of. There was a crack in the bottom of the reservoir that was almost undetectable. No really any evidence you could see easily. I was finally able to see it dripping after the car warmed up and it pressurized. It was not a fast drip but I drive about sixty miles one way to work and back every day so the coolant level would slowly go down and I would have to add it every couple days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts