Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the first week of April, i'm going to have some money to spend on my Cruze. I've already decided to purchase an intake and get some sort of exhaust done. But I don't know what to get. I've read a couple threads on here and I'm more confused now. So with that being said here's what I want:

I want an intake, not sure on K&N, ZZP or Injen. I live in Nebraska, so it rains a lot. I have the Trifecta Tune (I am LOVING it). I want to hear the turbo spool, power is also welcome, not necessary. I like loud intakes. I had the K&N on my SS Impala, and loved it.

Secondly, I was reading on the ZZP O2 Housing, and am curious to what it does? If it makes a difference in exhaust sound and overall performance, I want it. Because, I do plan changing the exhaust which brings me to my final point.

Lastly, I want exhaust. I don't want raspy. I love great sound! When I accelerate fast, I do rev it up until it shifts itself. I love this video, I want this sound.

Any help would be greatly appreciated please.

I'm looking for good sound, and if performance comes with these items, i'll take it too.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I bet that cost a fortune, here's my old hobby and I'm glad I got out of it. Cost way to much.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds good. Keep in mind that a lot of what your hearing in this video is the dyno itself. Good luck with the purchase! Pics and sound clip when you're done! :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
For Exhaust that is nice sounding (loud enough but not annoying) without drone (annoying hum) on the highway, keep the factory resonator on but just remove the muffler completely. I have it and Ill try and upload a video soon. The turbo and resonator quiet the engine down to a perfect volume in my opinion. If anything it could be a little louder but I would need additional displacement to make it louder without it sounding like crap.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
For Exhaust that is nice sounding (loud enough but not annoying) without drone (annoying hum) on the highway, keep the factory resonator on but just remove the muffler completely. I have it and Ill try and upload a video soon. The turbo and resonator quiet the engine down to a perfect volume in my opinion. If anything it could be a little louder but I would need additional displacement to make it louder without it sounding like crap.
I have the same setup, just ZZP pipes in the front instead of stock, no cat's... Sounds close to an SRT-4... videos floating around on here for you to hear...

1) ZZP is my intake of choice (currently run an INJEN and will be changing over)
2) ZZP pipes made my spool up time shrink, this is simply cuase I went catless with my pipes...
3) Custom exhaust is my suggestion.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm torn between all three intakes. I read great things about all 3. I've always used K&N. I like the idea of being able to switch between SRI and CAI on the Injen. And ZZP has a few items I want. All should work well with the Trifecta tune. I'll end up going with Injen, I like the looks and the ability to go to CAI. Thanks for your help on that issue.

Now exhaust. I haven't looked into much really. I know I want louder but not raspy. It was easy on my Impala SS because of the V8. I don't know which direction to go on the Cruze. Do I replace a muffler with a Flowmaster 80 series. Or do I leave a muffler off completely? What about the resonator? I had mine removed on my Impala. So, I'm still a little confused on exhaust.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm torn between all three intakes. I read great things about all 3. I've always used K&N. I like the idea of being able to switch between SRI and CAI on the Injen. And ZZP has a few items I want. All should work well with the Trifecta tune. I'll end up going with Injen, I like the looks and the ability to go to CAI. Thanks for your help on that issue.

Now exhaust. I haven't looked into much really. I know I want louder but not raspy. It was easy on my Impala SS because of the V8. I don't know which direction to go on the Cruze. Do I replace a muffler with a Flowmaster 80 series. Or do I leave a muffler off completely? What about the resonator? I had mine removed on my Impala. So, I'm still a little confused on exhaust.
You're going with the injen? Read some more posts on here about it. From what I hear it runs too rich because it isn't designed right and the mass air flow sensor is not picking up the air flow correctly causing too rich a mixture and even throwing CEL codes in some cases. Some here have sold their injen intakes because of this.

I don't like the K&N either because the filter lets in too much dust.

I'm not doing anything with the exhaust myself because the stock exhaust is good enough especially for such a small (1.4L albeit turbo) engine. Having said that I've seen a you tube video of someone who did mod their Cruze's exhaust and it does sound really very good.

Whatever you do good luck and keep us apprised of which mods you do and how they turn out!

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
You're going with the injen? Read some more posts on here about it. From what I hear it runs too rich because it isn't designed right and the mass air flow sensor is not picking up the air flow correctly causing too rich a mixture and even throwing CEL codes in some cases. Some here have sold their injen intakes because of this.

I don't like the K&N either because the filter lets in too much dust.

I'm not doing anything with the exhaust myself because the stock exhaust is good enough especially for such a small (1.4L albeit turbo) engine. Having said that I've seen a you tube video of someone who did mod their Cruze's exhaust and it does sound really very good.

Whatever you do good luck and keep us apprised of which mods you do and how they turn out!
I run the INJEN intake... and more and more I think about it I will be keeping it...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And then I read, that n update with the tune gets rid of the running to rich issue? Unless I'm wrong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts