Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my last thread I stated I was having power loss/acceleration issues at WOT. Doesnt matter when, but when I stomp on it, it will come into power for a second or two then it backs off and just runs sluggish. Took over 10 seconds to get from 4k rpms to 5k rpms. I put the stock intake back on, all of it minus the inner fenderwell box. Now I have been seeing on here about plug gap being off.. so I went in seeing if maybe spark is blowing out. Right off the bat I noticed those rubber plug boots are freakin tight (2014 RS Auto 25k miles) I was fairly careful and it ripped it right off. Was very very gently on the rest and managed to rip all but one. Only one plug was off and not by much. This is my daily so I wasnt going to wait around, Dealer had one in stock and you have to buy the whole deal, boot coil and all. $180! That was fun.

Anyway I gapped to .028 and with the stock exhaust ( had neg cable off the whole time} Double checked everything, put cable on. AND IT STILL DID IT...I call a friend and he checks it out and puts the drain tube for the airbox on saying it cant hurt and sure as **** it worked... I think its a fluke and I am willing to bet it will do this again. ANY ideas please, thanks!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Weird that is a new one. I don't know where exactly the drain tube is located but could not having it installed cause some air to be sucked in after the air filter?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The airbox drain tube has been missing from my Cruze since I bought it (2015, with 4k miles, totalled out), and I have put 4k on it without any issue.
Would the mass airflow sensor have anything to do with it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I had a cheap no name intake before and thought the drain plug was my issue (since there was no where to connect it) and the car would barely run (crazy lag, not shifting, very slow acceleration) and it wanted to die even shifting from reverse to drive....threw the stock intake back on (along with drain tube) and car was fine....I just recently bought a real K&N intake (with no place to plug in the drain tube) and it's running better than ever....I think it is the MAF location in some intakes that cause issues. I don't believe the drain plug actually matters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Weird that is a new one. I don't know where exactly the drain tube is located but could not having it installed cause some air to be sucked in after the air filter?
The drain tube is on the bottom front right of the airbox { the lower box} the outlet is under the filter so It would drain before, the hose runs down right behind the fog light to a dead end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The airbox drain tube has been missing from my Cruze since I bought it (2015, with 4k miles, totalled out), and I have put 4k on it without any issue.
Would the mass airflow sensor have anything to do with it?

As has mine also until all of this, I just got home with some contact cleaner, I am wondering if when I made my own intake the maf was located closer to the turbo inlet so maybe it has a little film of oil on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a cheap no name intake before and thought the drain plug was my issue (since there was no where to connect it) and the car would barely run (crazy lag, not shifting, very slow acceleration) and it wanted to die even shifting from reverse to drive....threw the stock intake back on (along with drain tube) and car was fine....I just recently bought a real K&N intake (with no place to plug in the drain tube) and it's running better than ever....I think it is the MAF location in some intakes that cause issues. I don't believe the drain plug actually matters.
I think you are correct, that is what I have been seeing. It is much more delicate than on other cars it seems. Also the MAF screen aka air straightener is very important I think so I put that back on. I think it was a fluke that is is running better, I cant see the drain tube doing anything either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Carb cleaner on the MAF should help, maybe unhook both battery cables and then hold them together for ten to thirty seconds to reset the system

1 - 8 of 8 Posts