Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i recently filled up with 89 octane, i waited until my tank was almost empty. First thing i noticed was more pick up when trying to get on the highway. I am now at about a quarter a tank and my car claims i'm getting 34.2mpg. Soon as i filled up, on the ride home i was getting mid to high 30's.
-before the most my car said for mpg was 31.8 So i am taking this as i'm getting better mpg.

Even if my DIC is off like it sometimes is, i should be getting at least 32mpg right now. Or it may be dead on like other times. (I'm assuming the reason the car is off sometimes and dead on other times is because of the gas i get. Some might have higher ethanol vs lower amounts. Or i could be completely wrong lol)

Next fill up i may go for the 91 or 93 (forget which) octane they had. Sunoco by the highway seems to have pretty good gas.

Also noticed with traffic, my cars mpg goes way up if i go around 55-58mph.

My Rpms seem to be about 2,400 or so at 65 and about 2,800 at 70. I didn't really take notice to them before going with the higher octane gas.

My other question is, does this car require the Dexo's oil or can it use regular 5w30? I'm just curious if that has a part in the low mpg i was getting.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Sadly Sunoco is a non top tier fuel for best results use top tier gasoline.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Oils should not have any effect to you MPG use full synthetic Dexos 1 approved oil if your a 1.4 turbo which I assume you are.
Sent From My Galaxy Note 3.
Which is bigger than my hand.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't feel so bad using Arco 91 now since they are owned by BP. :tongue:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Top Tier Gasoline

Oils should not have any effect to you MPG use full synthetic Dexos 1 approved oil if your a 1.4 turbo which I assume you are.
I've already looked on there for top tier, i don't have any near by.
And yes i have the 1.4 Turbo

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
I've already looked on there for top tier, i don't have any near by.
And yes i have the 1.4 Turbo
Then I would start adding Gumout fuel injection cleaner since you won't get the full additives from the non top tier fuel. I use it every month and I use Phillip 66 Top Tier Fuel.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Around here, AutoZone sells 12 oz. bottles of Techron for $4 each. I'm using that and Sunoco gas as there aren't any non-BP TT stations anywhere close. I still haven't forgiven BP for Deepwater Horizon. Just my boycott.

Reactions: brian v and Merc6

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Don't use conventional oil in the 1.4T. The ideal oil to use is a full-synthetic dexos1 5w-30. Quaker State Ultimate Durability has given me good service along with a fairly inexpensive price tag. I have stocked up when it is 5 quarts and a filter for $20 at Advance Auto Parts. Even regular price without the filter at Wal-Mart it is $20-24 for 5 quarts. The less-ideal oil to use is a semi-synthetic dexos1 5w-30. Pennzoil in the gold bottle is such an oil. $17 and change at Wal-Mart for 5 quarts. It's less ideal since the 1.4T can't run it more than 5000 miles before it's no longer a 5w-30.

For gasoline, go with the station that is the busiest. That will help ensure that the gas you get is fresh. I don't have any Top Tier stations around me either. I end up using Gumout Regane fuel system cleaner every oil change to keep things working as intended. No problems in 72k miles, knock on wood.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,598 Posts
I run Sunoco most of the time too, no worries there. I'll probably run some Seafoam or Techron through at some point.

Try 93 next tank and see if it behaves even better. With stock plugs, I had a bit of hesitation sometimes on ANY gas I used in the Cruze, but it was best on 93.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I run Sunoco most of the time too, no worries there. I'll probably run some Seafoam or Techron through at some point.

Try 93 next tank and see if it behaves even better. With stock plugs, I had a bit of hesitation sometimes on ANY gas I used in the Cruze, but it was best on 93.
I'm planning on trying that.

Once i get to my parents i can hopefully get my tools to check the spark plugs. What size will i need? (I haven't touched my car tools since i had my 95' Saturn Wagon. lol)

·
10,711 Posts

Top Tier Gasoline

Reason I top off before I get on the Turnpike. OH is Valero and PA is Sunoco. Chevron Techron in non TT fillups is what I use when I am in NJ and don't feel like arguing with the Shell gas attendant on why I want 93 when he keeps trying to sell me 87.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Oh it is the East Coast gathering , Dang and no top tier Gasoline to speak of ...
I Boycott BP also ... Just don't pull into BP .............it is time to bust some knuckles there Beachbaby and pull those spark plugs and check the Gaps !

·
10,711 Posts
Oh it is the East Coast gathering , Dang and no top tier Gasoline to speak of ...
I Boycott BP also ... Just don't pull into BP .............it is time to bust some knuckles there Beachbaby and pull those spark plugs and check the Gaps !
When it come to work vehicles the contract is with BP. Those are the 2 closet stations within 10 miles. Just a bit down the road after that is where I get my Shell for cheaper than what the no name gas stations want for it in my neighborhood. I pretty much plan my fill ups when I am headed to/from work or else I wold be driving 40 mins out of the way for cheaper TT gas.

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
FWIW I know I will hear some arguments here. I find my car is best with Shell 89 octane, with "select a tune", stock air filter and plugs at .028. My Eco has never been the high "MPGer" except on a highway trip to Atlanta from Cincinnati. I do about 90% city driving. so to get @33 MPG isn't too bad.

·
10,711 Posts
FWIW I know I will hear some arguments here. I find my car is best with 89 octane, with select a tune and stock air filter plugs at .028. My Eco has never been the high "MPGer" except on a highway trip to Atlanta from Cincinnati.
Yeah I get 50ish Ohio to NJ and back but in town I can't break 33. DFCO to a stop isn't possible when the person in front slams on brakes. I haven't tried 89 but 93 isn't that much more. I been running it on my tuned Subaru and once I get a tune on the ECO, i'll already be used to the price of it again. 87 was no fun once A/C season came up months after I got the car.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reason I top off before I get on the Turnpike. OH is Valero and PA is Sunoco. Chevron Techron in non TT fillups is what I use when I am in NJ and don't feel like arguing with the Shell gas attendant on why I want 93 when he keeps trying to sell me 87.
There is a Valero near my work, but no way in **** will i get gas there. Few months back they had to shut down because they were spitting out diesel in the regular pumps and regular in the diesel. Plus they always seem to be 10-15cents more per gallon.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Filled up. Got the best mpg yet at only 32mpg. The Dic at fill up said i was getting 33.8. Most of the week i was at 34-35mpg on the dic, but the last few days i had a lot of stop n go traffic and more city driving. So not too bad. filled up again with 89 octane, next i'll try a higher octane and see if mpg improves anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts