Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My name is Julia and I own a Chevrolet Cruze Limited 2016 1.4L Turbo. The radio that came with it isn't working well and if I replace it I'd rather take the opportunity to upgrade to the MyLink Radio. I don't know a lot about cars and my plan is to buy the replacement and take it to the shop so they can do it for me, but I've read many threads and I'm at a loss at what I should buy exactly. The part numbers is also something that confuses me. I found these options but I don't know how to check if they would be compatible and if I have to buy something else to go with it:

option 1

option 2

option 3

I can send photos of the car or anything that could help you help me 馃槶 Thank you in advance if anyone sees this.

COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
Option 1 doesn't work, but Options 2 or 3 look to be for the second gen Cruze - if yours is a 2016 Limited, then it is a Gen 1

Registered
The stock radios are programmed to match the car and Vin. They also contain settings for the car.

There's a basic 7 inch and a more advanced 8 inch that kind of operates like a tablet.

The cheap radio may or may not need wiring adapters. I could be wrong but for that kind of money. It's probably just a basic radio.

You can buy aftermarket radios. Will probably need a faceplate to go with along with radios. And maybe wires.

One guy on here installed a 10 inch tablet radio. Look for that thread.

Registered
As stated before, the radios are programmed to the car. Some years ago, my radio was acting up (face was flashing)....went to an indie radio shop, the guy said a aftermarket radio is 80 bucks but would cost 400 to programm it to the car. At that time there was a factory thing available that a dealer would replace your radio with a re-built one, and program it for $125 .I did that, and the new(er) radio lasted forever. So long ago (2008-2009)...that availability might now be lost in time...but you might want to check it out.

Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
Hi! My name is Julia and I own a Chevrolet Cruze Limited 2016 1.4L Turbo. The radio that came with it isn't working well and if I replace it I'd rather take the opportunity to upgrade to the MyLink Radio. I don't know a lot about cars and my plan is to buy the replacement and take it to the shop so they can do it for me, but I've read many threads and I'm at a loss at what I should buy exactly. The part numbers is also something that confuses me. I found these options but I don't know how to check if they would be compatible and if I have to buy something else to go with it:

option 1

option 2

option 3

I can send photos of the car or anything that could help you help me 馃槶 Thank you in advance if anyone sees this.
Welcome Aboard!(y)

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

Look at the second link first.

The SQ Car Audio Thread V2
Mylink 2.0 Alternative and aftermarket hands free microphone adapter
How-To: Disassemble Radio To Program VIN
How I did the MyLink Wire Harness
Updated Quick and Dirty Mylink Upgrade DIY for Gen 1 Cruzes

No Splicing, Amplifier and Subwoofer Tutorial
Inside the Pioneer Amplifier
Factory Headunit sound quality Dropped with Aftermarket AMP , Speakers & Sub
Aftermarket headunit installation troubles
Removal Tutorial Mylink 7" Touchscreen System

Post in thread 'How-To: Replace door speakers'
How-To: install a Back Up Camera Cheaply
How-To: Add RCA output to your factory radio
After-market wiring connector that fits the Cruze speaker connector
HO Alternator link.

https://www.cruzetalk.com/attachments/2013_cruze_radio_audio_color_lan_busses_6-pdf.288901/https://www.cruzetalk.com/attachments/2013_cruze_radio_audio_monochrome_lan_busses_6-pdf.288902/

Extra stuff:
TSB #14311
Service Bulletin - NHTSA SB-10057574-8899
SB-10089945-2280
How-To: Installation of the Big 3 Cruze Kit
Clean the Terminals
Cruze Battery Upgrade Options

Registered
I did the swap a few years back when I still had my Gen 1. It's fairly involved and kinda expensive, but good luck.

Registered
I wouldn't replace the radio with a MyLink because there really isn't a difference when it comes to features between that and the basic radio you have. Plus when I had mine the bluetooth music skipped for like the first minute when I started the car. Instead look for double DIN stereos on Crutchfield, they have dash kits/harnesses to make sure everything will work once you get it. You can put your car details in and it will show what's compatible. Another option is the 10 inch android tablet radio, way easier to install (basically plug and play since it has everything needed) which is what I replaced my stock radio with and you can use android apps on it or get Android Auto/CarPlay. It will take about a month to arrive though since it ships from China. Keep in mind they aren鈥檛 perfect and there might be glitches but it鈥檚 not too bad

The android radio will probably be the cheapest/easiest option, but if you get a Mylink you will have to go thru the process of unlocking it which requires disassembly and a EEPROM reader to change the VIN and from experience it takes time. Plus lots of extra wiring work since you'll need extra connections for the radio to properly work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts