Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it easy to upgrade my base DIC to the full information DIC? I'd like to have more info when I'm driving, but not sure how hard it is to swap it out, or if it's even possible. Anyone know?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'd like to see my mileage and all that. Only thing mine shows is odometer, km to empty, and average speed. No compass, mileage, anything like that.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
You dont have a menu button on the turn signal stalk? Thats how I operate mine. Dont know why the Canadian Eco, would be any different from the US version, even the stripped LS, has just about all of the DIC screens, except some of the fuel economy screens that are Eco specific. But you have an Eco.

·
10,695 Posts
Best of my knowledge we only gained cleaner more logical tabs system over the page system you guys got pre 13 in trade of the actual coolant temp and drl on indicator. I also believe another member pointed out eco had the most changes as we gained more tabs and able to read higher than 50 mpg in MPG game.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You dont have a menu button on the turn signal stalk? Thats how I operate mine. Dont know why the Canadian Eco, would be any different from the US version, even the stripped LS, has just about all of the DIC screens, except some of the fuel economy screens that are Eco specific. But you have an Eco.
I do have the menu button, but the only thing that allows me to do is change the language, and see my oil life monitor. Seems strange to me that that's all my DIC will show, as I figured all ecos had the bigger one.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
That's crazy that they'd dumb the DIC down that much for the Canadian market. We have 3 screens and 3-4 settings per screen.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's crazy that they'd dumb the DIC down that much for the Canadian market. We have 3 screens and 3-4 settings per screen.
Mine is the only one I've seen like this. I looked at several others, but got this one 'cause it was the cheapest eco I could find, and has the 6M.

·
Administrator
25,096 Posts
OP, please confirm the actual trim level of your Cruze. Even the 2011 ECOs had a version of the game display. Don't confuse the EcoTec engine with the ECO trim level. I do agree that the Canadian displays are less useful.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OP, please confirm the actual trim level of your Cruze. Even the 2011 ECOs had a version of the game display. Don't confuse the EcoTec engine with the ECO trim level. I do agree that the Canadian displays are less useful.
Definitely an eco. No power in 6th gear.

I looked at several others, and they all had the better display. But with this one being $4,000 below the rest of them out there (little hail damage on hood and trunk being the reason for the low price), I bought it anyways.
Doesn't bother me that I have this display, just thought I'd see if it was possible to do.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
If you've seen other Ecos in the area, same trim. I mean, Canadian. Then you should have more. Interesting that you have nothing really, on the screen. Worst case scenario, it's been totaled and rebuilt by a shop that doesn't have access to the equipment to reboot the DIC. Or something happened and all of the settings did not restore.

At this point, I don't think you're necessarily looking for a DIC upgrade. You're looking for it to be taken back to how it was from the factory. That little picture indicator on the screen, seems like it may be a symbol that means some type of maintenance required. Because you should definitely have more screens if you see other Canadian Cruzes with more than you have.

Next thing would be to have the VIN number broken down and deciphered, proving that it's an actual Canadian Cruze. This is the sole reason I will never buy a car from a pot lot. Certified used only. I've seen waaaay too many cars that were junk that should have never been back on the lot. Totaled, flooded, you name it. Some are cleverly reassembled. But are still completely junk.

Check the CarFax or start looking for mismatched parts under the hood. Each body panel should have a matching VIN sticker. If you see the left fender has one, and the right doesn't, that's an issue. If one headlight, you can tell, has seen road debris, and the other looks brand new, not a scratch. How does the hood fit with it closed. Look for orange peel in the doors. Evidence of it being repainted. Overspray. Something. Then you'll have an idea of what you're dealing with. The DIC could be the first sign of your problems.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I checked the VIN before I bought it. Only claim on it was for the hail damage.
Just talked to my dealer, and they ran my VIN. It's optioned like that from the factory. Guess I'll keep using torque for my gauges.

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
Note that his screen is physically smaller than the standard US version. The display is quite normal for the UK version of the Cruze. See page 76 of the UK 2012 manual.

It might be possible to change it, but I don't know as anyone has any idea of what it would take. Certainly a different display unit. But what it would take to get all the other computer systems to cooperate is anyone's guess.

Frankly, I'd have concerns about getting it serviced. Since it appears to have been built for a different market, I don't know how well the local dealers are going to be able to service this.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,561 Posts
Who knows. 2011s had all kinds of weird options packaging - and the Canadian market is even moreso.

I'd think it would take no more than a new instrument cluster and a software re flash, but I don't know the ins and outs of these things.

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
Who knows. 2011s had all kinds of weird options packaging - and the Canadian market is even moreso.
Since it looks like the European, maybe it's the French Canadian version? :grin:

I'd think it would take no more than a new instrument cluster and a software re flash, but I don't know the ins and outs of these things.
Yeah, you can hope. For starters, I think you'd need to find a dealer parts guy who is a bit bored and looking for a challenge. And then hope that the programming software will allow you to set the option rather than have it dictated by the VIN.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts