Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I will be purchasing a GM fog light setup (housings, harness, stock switch panel, etc).

I currently have 6k HIDs in projector housings as my primary low beams. There is a drastic cutoff on the sides, so making right turns by high curbs can be nervewrecking. I have great distance, nice cutoff, and overall I am happy, but I feel like I need more side to side closer to my bumper. I go on long roadtrips too (coming up in Sept) so I could use the extra light.

I am veering away from HIDs in the fogs because of heat and scatter. I got the projectors to avoid being to bright and annoying as well.
Old posts I have read here state that LEDs are more for looks. Those were posts from 2+ years ago, and I feel they have come a long way.
There are H8 LEDs of varying sizes. Most of them are 'straight' though, and do not have that 90 degree bend to connect to the wiring.

Will a regular H8 (without the 90 degree bend) fit?
I am hoping to double the lumens of stock, and not get too crazy. There are lots of very high lumen options I am not considering.

Please advise.
Thanks
Nick

I am also aware that there is programming needed to make the fogs work for a 2011. I'm hoping the trifecta tune can be tweaked to accept fogs.

·
Registered
803 Posts
The best documented H8/H11 halogen replacement in a LED light source is the Philips X-treme Vision LED fog. It uses a total of 6 Luxeon Z ES emitters (3 per side) and precisely mimics the halogen filament.

And although I cannot confirm that it produces an equal beam pattern in a actual Cruze fog lamp it generally does well in other applications. It is also important to point out that the actual lumens the Philips LED puts out is 1200 lumens per bulb versus a halogen H8 which puts out around 800. A halogen H11 puts out about 1400 and a halogen H9 about 2000 lumens. And while the H9 will require a bit of trimming to the tabs it can be used. But I would error on the side of caution for the excessive heat caused by the 65 watts it consumes. Not to mention the possibility of the brightness that may overpower the lamp housing distorting the beam pattern.

The Chinese has saturated the aftermarket with many copy cat variations of the Philips LED bulb. They offer a more affordable option if you wanted to venture into the LED arena. I currently have 2 of these variations (new in the box) if you are interested. PM me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are nice - but $130 amazon price is too rich for me.
Philips is great, and I have used their halogens and LEDs, but that's **** expensive.

Even if there is no 'bend' will H11 'driving light' leds fit properly provided there is space behind?
Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That fog setup looks really nice, thanks for sharing.

How many watts/lumens per bulb are those EKlights?
I see so many on ebay and it's tough to pick out the 'good' ones, but I like those copper cooling wires I have seen.
They go up to 12000lumens, which A I don't believe and B is way too much. What I am looking at seems to be along the lines of 30/40 watts and 3000-4000 lumens (which I take with a grain of salt on accuracy).

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
803 Posts
That fog setup looks really nice, thanks for sharing.

How many watts/lumens per bulb are those EKlights?
I see so many on ebay and it's tough to pick out the 'good' ones, but I like those copper cooling wires I have seen.
They go up to 12000lumens, which A I don't believe and B is way too much. What I am looking at seems to be along the lines of 30/40 watts and 3000-4000 lumens (which I take with a grain of salt on accuracy).

Thanks
Nick
Don't ever believe the Chinese marketing for lumens. I always go straight to the emitter datasheets IF they disclose what brand/model chips they use.

The ek light uses Luxeon Z ES emitters just like the genuine Philips bulbs. Same number of them too (6). According to the datasheets, the lumens will vary depending on the bin, 190-245 per emitter @ 700mA. That's roughly 1200-1500 lumens per bulb. I would venture to guess they used a lower bin.

Trust me when I say there are NO led bulbs on the market pushing 3000 plus lumens per bulb. It's marketing nonsense. Not even OE built headlamps using LEDs are that high.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The EK light shown is a H8 and a direct fit?
Sounds like 1200 vs 800 stock per bulb.

Yeah, I definitely don't trust those crazy ratings. They had 100 watt sets, lol, like SPF 100 sunscreen, it is basically not real.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice.

So will the H11 will be a direct fit though, correct? You said only the H9 needs trimming.
I'm looking for the direct fit.

Thanks
Nick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts