Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Do a little searching here and on sonic owners forum. There's a few out there. Pretty good reviews and one guy complaining. I'd believe the good first on this situation as the turbo is actually rebuilt by Garrett.
I do know you'll wanna get the cancer springs from them too. Otherwise it will flat valves at lower rpm than with your stock turbo

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Yes Garret reworks the Turbo to Vtuners specs.Basically good stuff and more flow.And yes the replacement valve springs are a good idea the stock ones can float at 24 or 25 psi boost.There was one mechanical failure which Garret deemed loose hardware (a nut or bolt) went threw the Turbo.And Vtuner offered the Guy a Turbo at cost.Which i thought was a fair deal.The guy that installed it can say what ever he wants.But magic didn't cause the damage he did.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I do believe that I saw a 207hp power number from one fellow, but he didn't have the valve springs, his power and went poo at around 5500 rather than 7000 like with the sstock setup, also I think he needed to final tune it as well. I think that with all supporting mods, without e85 or meth, you should see 215-220, BUT I've heard vtuner won't give you full power potential in their tunes without an upgrade clutch.

·
Vendor
994 Posts
BNR GTX14 turbocharger will be available before Christmas.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Vendor
994 Posts
Yes, because other companies that won't be named have a nice habit of telling customers that their BNR parts are the reason their car isn't making the power the parts claim, so we've just eliminated that possibility :)

Quality control if you will

Reactions: Merc6

·
Registered
481 Posts
There's a person on the Facebook group with the VTuners turbo and he wishes he had the BNR turbo instead LOL
Bnr has a LOT more presence on forums and seems to be far more progressive with the 1.4 motors than ANYONE. Last time I talked to ZZPerformance they were basically giving up at that point. Vtuner seemed gimmicky to me at first. They're not, but it seemed that way when I was spending my dollars more liberally.

·
Registered
151 Posts
if you upgrade turbo with suporting mods will the stock ecu work or will u have to buy an aftermarket ecu ?
Aftermarket ECU may only be needed for an older car where you're swapping out an engine for a different engine. Modern day stock ECUs have all the computing power you'll ever need, along with the ability to support many variants of calibration. An aftermarket ECU wouldn't work anyway, your stock ECU is communicating with other ECUs and sending out vital data primarily on the high speed CAN bus to other microcontrollers which require this data sharing for your vehicle to even start.

I have an 86 Grand National, that still runs the stock ECU. However, all the calibrations reside on a chip and if I change injector size, for instance, I have to send my chip off to the vendor to have it burned or reprogrammed. Because my car only has the one microcontroller, the engine controller, I could swap in an aftermarket ECU with no detrimental effects. The most common for the turbo Buicks is the XFI, but I wouldn't see that much gain in performance to justify the expensive. However, running this aftermarket ECU does help in one way, it helps protect your expensive rebuilt engine. The fastest Grand National, with a stock ECM and stock heads has ran 8.94 at 150 in the 1/4 mile. Now if were to swap in an LS motor, which would make my Grand National worthless, if I was going to EFI, I would need an aftermarket ECU. The fastest Grand Nationals or Turbo Regals run aftermarket ECUs, but their motors cost $25k and they are also running either a Buick Motor Sports Stage II block or TA Performance block. You could use a stock ECM to run this blocks, but you won't be able to deep into the 7s in the 1/4 mile.

One thing that is coming in the future, which is going to make it harder or maybe even impossible without a getting the proper tools from GM to change the tune or code on any electronic control module is Cyber Security. People will say, oh, some will figure out how to get past security with no problem. Well currently all electronic control modules on vehicle have the security algorithm residing in flash memory and aftermarket vendors extract the image off the microprocessor and reverse the binary file into assembly or C code and that is how they figure out how to unlock security on a microcontroller. Once Cyber Security is implemented, the security will no longer reside on the microcontroller, but rather on a GM server and will only be accessible by GM Dealerships or GM Suppliers and that requires a non-disclosure agreement. It's going to it a lot tougher on aftermarket vendors.

So for the long winded answer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
No, I tried to get it done today... there was a dyno shoot out, and there was way to many people ahead of me to stay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do you have a before dyno sheet to show the gains of this turbo o for us?
i talked to a a dude the other day that use to race for porche and he said the biggest best turbo for the motors we have with the compression ratio is a turbbonatics t3/t4 hybrid full kit $1100 gains off up to 150-200 hp

·
Registered
12 Posts
Aftermarket ECU may only be needed for an older car where you're swapping out an engine for a different engine. Modern day stock ECUs have all the computing power you'll ever need, along with the ability to support many variants of calibration. An aftermarket ECU wouldn't work anyway, your stock ECU is communicating with other ECUs and sending out vital data primarily on the high speed CAN bus to other microcontrollers which require this data sharing for your vehicle to even start.

I have an 86 Grand National, that still runs the stock ECU. However, all the calibrations reside on a chip and if I change injector size, for instance, I have to send my chip off to the vendor to have it burned or reprogrammed. Because my car only has the one microcontroller, the engine controller, I could swap in an aftermarket ECU with no detrimental effects. The most common for the turbo Buicks is the XFI, but I wouldn't see that much gain in performance to justify the expensive. However, running this aftermarket ECU does help in one way, it helps protect your expensive rebuilt engine. The fastest Grand National, with a stock ECM and stock heads has ran 8.94 at 150 in the 1/4 mile. Now if were to swap in an LS motor, which would make my Grand National worthless, if I was going to EFI, I would need an aftermarket ECU. The fastest Grand Nationals or Turbo Regals run aftermarket ECUs, but their motors cost $25k and they are also running either a Buick Motor Sports Stage II block or TA Performance block. You could use a stock ECM to run this blocks, but you won't be able to deep into the 7s in the 1/4 mile.

One thing that is coming in the future, which is going to make it harder or maybe even impossible without a getting the proper tools from GM to change the tune or code on any electronic control module is Cyber Security. People will say, oh, some will figure out how to get past security with no problem. Well currently all electronic control modules on vehicle have the security algorithm residing in flash memory and aftermarket vendors extract the image off the microprocessor and reverse the binary file into assembly or C code and that is how they figure out how to unlock security on a microcontroller. Once Cyber Security is implemented, the security will no longer reside on the microcontroller, but rather on a GM server and will only be accessible by GM Dealerships or GM Suppliers and that requires a non-disclosure agreement. It's going to it a lot tougher on aftermarket vendors.

So for the long winded answer.
thanks for the usefull and helpful info i can now start my build that ws the only thing i was really concerned about

·
Registered
151 Posts
thanks for the usefull and helpful info i can now start my build that ws the only thing i was really concerned about
You're welcome. I didn't mean to go so in depth.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Interesting, I talked to Precision and supposedly their turbo for our engines could yield around 250hp gain. Although, I don't put much faith in what I was told. Once my powertrain warranty runs out, I plan on upgrading my turbo, rods and pistons, springs, etc. I need to research how much the stock crank can handle. I know the stock crank in the first gen is cast, but so is the crank in GM's 3800 series II/III block and guys are pushing 800rwhp with those stock cranks. Being that the Cruze is an I4, I think it has 5 main caps which is integrated into the bottom cover. So no cap walk and probably no crank flexing.
At the end of the day, it is about mass air flow into the cylinder. If you can get 45lbs/min then that is about 450hp, I think.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts