Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a pioneer AVIC-D3 without the Bluetooth add on.

I plan on installing it myself with the help of some other threads.
Is there a cheaper harness I can grab? The ones I've seen are around 140$ .

I don't want onstar retention or xm radio. Nor do I really care about warning chimes. I would like my steering wheel controls to work though. As well as my USB and aux ports in the centre console. Is there another option for harnesses?

Does the stock Bluetooth connect through the stock radio or does it connect to the PDIM?

I have a 2012 mt eco

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After much more research I've decided to just get the 140$ harness.

But I still have the Bluetooth question. When I switch out the stock radio will I lose the ability for my Bluetooth calling and power to my USB/AUX ports?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
But I still have the Bluetooth question. When I switch out the stock radio will I lose the ability for my Bluetooth calling and power to my USB/AUX ports?
I'm 80% sure the answer is "yes". Because all of that comes to/connects to the head unit. If your replacement unit with harness has no place for those connectors, they become dead wires.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I should be able to wire battery to the wire that powers usb/aux, no?

*edit on second thought that may only work for usb?

I'm fairly new with newer cars

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I should be able to wire battery to the wire that powers usb/aux, no?
USB is 5V, regulated. Battery is 12-15V, sort of regulated. The power for the USB is part of the head unit. I don't think that cable looks like a USB connector at the radio end If you can find a way to adapt the cable to a good USB charger, that would work.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts

I can only answer questions about the Metra GMOS-044, but I think Metra also sells a cheaper harness w/o OnStar retention, and PAC also sells a harness that I know nothing about. Keep in mind that you have to use the expensive OnStar retention harness to keep the upper LCD screen, have access to the vehicle settings, and the steering wheel control module also integrates into the harness.

When I switch out the stock radio will I lose the ability for my Bluetooth calling and power to my USB/AUX ports?

Yes, but you can add those features back if the head unit you use has built in BT and USB cables. You lose the microphone in the vehicle too, and have to either use the internal mic on the head unit, or an external mic that plugs into the head unit.

I'm just going to say that replacing the factory head unit with an aftermarket one is not an easy job. Lots of wires to hook up, lots of fiddling, and some altercations of the vehicle (the HVAC panel has to be trimmed a bit). There's a couple quirks too. I only recommend it if you are absolutely unsatisfied with the factory radio (I was), and need stuff like EQ / line out control for an upgraded sound system. An aftermarket head unit is also the only way you're gonna get Android Auto or CarPlay on the 1st gen Cruze, which is (quite thankfully) the direction vehicle infotainment is moving.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I can only answer questions about the Metra GMOS-044, but I think Metra also sells a cheaper harness w/o OnStar retention, and PAC also sells a harness that I know nothing about. Keep in mind that you have to use the expensive OnStar retention harness to keep the upper LCD screen, have access to the vehicle settings, and the steering wheel control module also integrates into the harness.

When I switch out the stock radio will I lose the ability for my Bluetooth calling and power to my USB/AUX ports?

Yes, but you can add those features back if the head unit you use has built in BT and USB cables. You lose the microphone in the vehicle too, and have to either use the internal mic on the head unit, or an external mic that plugs into the head unit.

I'm just going to say that replacing the factory head unit with an aftermarket one is not an easy job. Lots of wires to hook up, lots of fiddling, and some altercations of the vehicle (the HVAC panel has to be trimmed a bit). There's a couple quirks too. I only recommend it if you are absolutely unsatisfied with the factory radio (I was), and need stuff like EQ / line out control for an upgraded sound system.

Ah ok I wasn't aware that the GMOS 044 kept the lcd screen, so that's definitely the harness I'll grab.

It's an older unit (AVIC-D3) so it doesn't have bluetooth, there is an adapter I can get for it I just have to find on. I'm primarily doing the swap so I can get nav, but eventually I do plan on upgrading my sound systems. The hu doesn't have usb but I was looking at rca to usb cable (not sure if that would work).

I'm alright with the fiddling around, worst case I'll get A shop to do it for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts