Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
URGENT - Towing a motorcycle!!! Yes or no, thoughts, suggestions & questions Please!

I am moving soon and am trying to decide if I want to tow or ride my motorcycle down from North of Chicago to Lexington KY. It's approximately 461 miles. If the weather stays as it is then I am considering riding. However I am also trying to limit the treks back and forth between Chicago and Lexington. I am considering towing my bike and I just called the UHaul place to inquire. They said it probably wouldn't hurt the car and sort of talked me out of it. I would have to purchase the hitch. I don't plan on doing this a lot. Right now this is just for getting my bike there. Here are the specifics

2013 Cruze 1.4 L Turbo
Bike is 500 lbs
UHaul trailer is approx 5'x9'
Only person in car will be me. Possible small amount of luggage in car but not much.

Can the Cruze tow a trailer + bike comfortably w/o any problem?
I know the hitch will be frame mounted - does this void my warranty?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Karen

·
Registered
283 Posts
This is just for ideas and pricing awareness for whatever you decide. I had a quote from the local Uhaul and was a little shocked at what they were asking for a simple hitch and wiring install. I forget offhand how much they wanted though.
Hitch Lookup for 2013 Chevrolet Cruze All | CURT Manufacturing

Amazon.com: CURT Trailer Hitch #11282

Amazon.com: CURT T-Connector #56125

Installation of a Trailer Hitch on a 2013 Chevrolet Cruze - etrailer.com - YouTube

Trailer Wiring Harness Installation - 2011 Chevrolet Cruze - etrailer.com - YouTube

Search results for: 'trailer'

Harbor freight link above: For ideas. Look for coupons and specials. There are coupons for Harbor Freight in the back of most motorcycle and car magazines. Should at least be able to get 20% off. Other places for trailers would be Local tractor supply and farm and fleets, along with the Home Depots, Lowes, Menards, etc. Look in classifieds for used trailers. They depreciate fast.

An external transmission cooler would probably be a good long term idea, but for a one time trip from Chicago to Lexington Ky, should not be a problem. Now if you are going to trailer a lot to go to Deals Gap Tail Of The Dragon, Devils Triangle, Moonshiners 28, the Skyway, GSM, etc, then a cooler would be a good idea. I think they are recommending to be tapped in along with the radiator's transmission cooler. Not sure what brand or model to get.

Not knowing the type of trailer or rise/drop, length for weight distribution, cannot know which ball mount to get or the ball size.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I tow a seadoo XP behind mine with other people in the car and never have a problem. If its just a flat exposed trailer it will be fine. You can put the hitch on yourself with help from a friend. Took me 30 minutes. These cars can easily tow up to 1000lbs without a problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome info!!! Thank you! Uhaul was like $250+ just for the hitch, wiring etc...I don't believe that included installation. Plus $162 to rent here and drop off in Lex. Plus the gas... Ridiculous! The hitch I need is a medium to heavy duty hitch and the trailer is a 5 x 9 trailer with ramp (which is nice). I called GM and they suggest DO NOT go over 1000 lbs. The bike is 500 lbs and the trailer is 550. So I should be ok there.

I will look into these links. Thanks!!!

Karen

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
What are the costs to send it by freight? For a one off trip could be cheaper as well as easier on the car.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
If you don't want to install the hitch just have the other person drive your Cruze while you ride your motorcycle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts