Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, it charges it a little, but not enough to maintain the phone at 100% while connected and in use with Android Auto. It discharges slower than if it wasn't connected at all. That's pretty disappointing. What did they think people were going to do with a USB connection? People generally expect USB jacks to charge things these days.

I don't know if it's just mine, but I'm guessing all of the cars have wimpy USB jacks. If your device isn't getting enough juice, I have the answer. I ordered one of these and it's all good now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NIGO4NM/. Put a real USB charger in the power port and you're all set.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,920 Posts
What's your phones wall charger rated at? Are you using a cable that supports "fast charging"?

Seems like the Cruze's charger, like most computers, puts out 1A. Coincidentally, that's what an iPhone block is rated at as well. Charges my iPhone 6 ok while in use (better than the 2012 did, which I think was only 500mA).

·
Premium Member
8,004 Posts
I think the charger that came with my Pixel is about 3A. But I don't think even that pushes the limits of USB C.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cable's OK because it works fine when plugged into a charger in the power jack and not so great when plugged into the USB jack.

Some of the issue is probably my phone. The battery is over 18 months old and I've noticed it has started to decline.

·
Registered
692 Posts
mine has the same issue, since new. I just don't use it, which stinks, because I like Android Auto. I don't believe the usb has a good connection, because AA works only half the time when I plug it in.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Most USB ports in cars don't supply enough amperage to charge some cell phones. My work around was to put a dual port USB adapter in the power jack in my car. This gives you a high amperage port for tablets and phones. It also leaves the USB port available for the music drives.

Reactions: Premier17

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the same thing with my Pixel. If I'm using Android audio and listening to Pandora, and using navigation, my phone's battery life actually drops instead of charges over long drives. I agree that it is disappointing. Instead I have to rely on my cigarette lighter USB adapter that I have that is 2A. Computers are actually typically 500mA. If the Cruze's output is that low, that would explain the loss of battery life even though it's plugged in. :(

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I'm curious why more vehicles don't have wireless charging. Charge on a specific pad or a cup holder. Wouldn't that make sense?

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you want fast charge you need to get one of the new smart QUALCOMM chargers, the charger sees the phone can charge at a fast rate and ups the voltage which makes for a much faster charge, voltage out goes to 7.5 and more I think, check ebay or amazon with: QUALCOMM charger

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
9,462 Posts
The single USB port in the Gen I's is primarily for playing music although it will charge slowly as well. I originally tried to add a USB port multiplier and did not work as I wanted to play music and charge my phone. I ended up installing a second USB port in the upper junk tray and putting one of these in the power outlet and one of these in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I am a fan of Anker products - cables, chargers, the works. I have an Anker 2 port high rate charger in my rear power port, an Anker USB to USB-C grey cloth covered cable that runs from that between the drivers seat and console up to my phone mount. Works awesome! (I also have a spare Anker cloth covered USB to USB micro cable in the console just in case I get a passenger that need to charge up. Plug into the second port on the charger, done.) Amazon has most of the Anker products available. You might pay a bit more, but they are all rock solid and the cables are high quality and this setup will charge my Pixel XL on high charge if needed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm curious why more vehicles don't have wireless charging. Charge on a specific pad or a cup holder. Wouldn't that make sense?
Technically you can get one in a Cruze... If you get a Premier with the Enhanced Convenience Package. Would it make sense to have it on lower trims? Sure. Will that happen on a car that doesn't even have an auto-dimming rearview mirror in lower trims? Doubtful.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am a fan of Anker products - cables, chargers, the works. I have an Anker 2 port high rate charger in my rear power port, an Anker USB to USB-C grey cloth covered cable that runs from that between the drivers seat and console up to my phone mount. Works awesome! (I also have a spare Anker cloth covered USB to USB micro cable in the console just in case I get a passenger that need to charge up. Plug into the second port on the charger, done.) Amazon has most of the Anker products available. You might pay a bit more, but they are all rock solid and the cables are high quality and this setup will charge my Pixel XL on high charge if needed.
How long have you had them for? In my experience any USB cable I leave in the car breaks after a time, I assume because of how hot it gets in there. Have you had any of these problems with the Anker cables?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Wife was having problems with her iphone 6, grabbed my otoscope and looked into its lightning connector, loaded with debris. Cleaned that up with a small brush and denatured alcohol, now she is good to go again. Same problem with her audio jack.

Also had problems with my Cruze ignition key, debris would build up in that groove. Never was a problem with teeth on the outside, is now. Old tooth brush and denatured alcohol works.

Newest problem is with her Apple II watch, just can't slap it on to that magnet, also have to turn it one way or the other until that charge light comes on. LOL. Been over five years now with a universal remote, could be in another room, then I hear, "NICK".

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Mine charges my iPhone no problem, even if I'm running maps and streaming music over Apple Carplay.
Wife never had any problems either with her iphone 6, and ha, with these things, really need a charger, can't pop in a fully charged battery. Now I see many new cell phones are this way.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,920 Posts
Mine charges my iPhone no problem, even if I'm running maps and streaming music over Apple Carplay.
Yup, same. The Gen 1 had issues keeping the 6 charged while running maps, etc, but the 2016 charges it rather quickly no matter what it's doing.

Anyone know what charging amperage is supported via the wireless charger system? I'm probably dumping my iPhone this fall.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Becky's truck works the same. The usb port is for communications with onboard entertainment etc. it is NOT for charging.
Get a car usb charger.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yup, same. The Gen 1 had issues keeping the 6 charged while running maps, etc, but the 2016 charges it rather quickly no matter what it's doing.

Anyone know what charging amperage is supported via the wireless charger system? I'm probably dumping my iPhone this fall.
I can only speak for what I know, but I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, and the wireless charger charges at the same speed as a fast charger, i.e. only a couple of hours to full charge.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've replaced my phone's battery and put an external battery on the charging leg of my Y cable and it still loses about 10%/hour when connected to Android Auto. I can run a nav program on my phone and charge the battery when plugged only into a charger.

It looks like AA just sucks battery life. I've seen similar complaints posted among other vehicle makes with AA and battery life.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts