Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
With the Samsung Galaxys (and I suspect other models), the phone has circuitry that tries to determine what it is connected to. If the USB port it is plugged into is set up for data transfer (like the built-in USB port) then it will only draw 0.5a because the phone assumes that it is connected to a computer (and USB 2 drivers only output 0.5a max). If the data lines are shorted together, then the Galaxy will think that it is plugged into a 1a charger and draw about that much current.

The Galaxy series units looks for specific voltages on the data lines compared before it will draw more than 1a.

When using bluetooth and GPS, the phone will likely drain the battery at a rate of more than an amp.

If you want your phone to charge whilst using Android Auto, then you need to have the phone plugged into a separate 2a charger or use a wireless charger.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If you want your phone to charge whilst using Android Auto, then you need to have the phone plugged into a separate 2a charger or use a wireless charger.
The separate 2a charger: how would you do that?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yeah... not working for me.
Are you saying that with that charger your phone is still draining? Is your USB cable one that carries data?

If you have Wi-Fi going as well as Bluetooth and GPS, then your phone is going to eat through battery, and it's even worse if you are driving through areas with low or no connectivity.

Some apps are notorious for killing the battery as well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Are you saying that with that charger your phone is still draining? Is your USB cable one that carries data?

If you have Wi-Fi going as well as Bluetooth and GPS, then your phone is going to eat through battery, and it's even worse if you are driving through areas with low or no connectivity.

Some apps are notorious for killing the battery as well.

In order to be connected to AA in the Cruze, the USB cable has to be one that carries data and it has to be connected to the USB port in the Cruze and not a charger.

I've replaced my phone battery, so there's no issue there.

I've purchased a Y cable that splits the data and charging circuits to different sources and plugged the charge side into a charger that otherwise charges the battery while streaming over Bluetooth and using GPS (except when connected to AA) and into an Anker battery that charges the phone battery faster than anything else I have. No joy.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My apologies, I forgot that Android Auto requires a hard-wired connection to the phone.

As I said earlier, the phone will only pull so much current when connected to a computer, and the car counts as such.

I do not know what indicators the phone uses to determine if the port is USB 3, but even if you can spoof that the phone will draw at most only 0.9 amps.

So your only recourse is likely a wireless charger designed for your phone.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I don't think the phone looks for type of ports. It only works on what the port is designed to do. If the usb port can't charge. It can't charge. Nothing the phone can do about it. And the usb port for AA isn't designed for charging. Only data transfer.

Same with usb wires. Just because it says fast charge. It's all just hype. The wire can't charge the phone any faster then the charger itself. And a standard cheap wire will charge just as good as a expensive fast charge wire. If you want fast charging. Get a 2.4 amp usb charger. If you have the old 1 amp charger. Don't expect to get anything with the phone in use or the screen lit up.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
mine has the same issue, since new. I just don't use it, which stinks, because I like Android Auto. I don't believe the usb has a good connection, because AA works only half the time when I plug it in.
If you have a newer phone with battery saver settings. It needs to be turned off. then it'll work like a champ.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In order to be connected to AA in the Cruze, the USB cable has to be one that carries data and it has to be connected to the USB port in the Cruze and not a charger.

I've replaced my phone battery, so there's no issue there.

I've purchased a Y cable that splits the data and charging circuits to different sources and plugged the charge side into a charger that otherwise charges the battery while streaming over Bluetooth and using GPS (except when connected to AA) and into an Anker battery that charges the phone battery faster than anything else I have. No joy.

Hey johnmo, does the USB Y connector (something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIGO4NM/ref=psdc_464394_t1_B00ZUE6PVE) work with AA? Or were you saying that the Y connector messed with the AA connection?

I was hoping there was like a fuse connector I could just upgrade or a part I could order that could just up my voltage. If I can just order the y cable, that would look bad, but it would solve the issue of slow charging.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hey johnmo, does the USB Y connector (something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIGO4NM/ref=psdc_464394_t1_B00ZUE6PVE) work with AA? Or were you saying that the Y connector messed with the AA connection?

I was hoping there was like a fuse connector I could just upgrade or a part I could order that could just up my voltage. If I can just order the y cable, that would look bad, but it would solve the issue of slow charging.
It will not solve the charging issue.

As I said before, the phone determines it's charge rate by what out detects on the data lines. If you are using AA, then the phone thinks it's plugged into a computer, regardless of what's available on the power lines.

Your only recourse would be using a wireless charger to bring the batteries up while using the USB cable for AA.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old but just wondering if anyone is able to get "Fast Charging" from a Quick Charge USB outlet plugged into the 12v. Our phones are Galaxy S10 and using an Anker Quick Charge 3.0 charger plugged into 12v cigarette plug. I have 3 of these chargers and all work to "Fast Charge" our phones in my truck but for some reason I'm only getting slow charging from them in the Cruze.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,928 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old but just wondering if anyone is able to get "Fast Charging" from a Quick Charge USB outlet plugged into the 12v. Our phones are Galaxy S10 and using an Anker Quick Charge 3.0 charger plugged into 12v cigarette plug. I have 3 of these chargers and all work to "Fast Charge" our phones in my truck but for some reason I'm only getting slow charging from them in the Cruze.
I've never seen anything besides "charging" from my Galaxy S8 and Gen 2. Its a super slow charge it it's running navigation or Android Auto.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts