Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Does it really matter? It won't charge your phone. And can't be used for data transfer. So probably not. :)

It's a pretty weak port. You can play music from a thumbdrive or use it for android auto. Supposedly movies but I haven't had any luck yet.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
No it's not.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Did the USB port change for Gen 2?

I drive with my iPhone 6 USB-connected (2014 Gen 1 USB) and it does charge the phone. It is a slow charge so I’d guess it’s a lower-powered USB.

Reactions: BU54

·
Registered
300 Posts
Did the USB port change for Gen 2?

I drive with my iPhone 6 USB-connected (2014 Gen 1 USB) and it does charge the phone. It is a slow charge so I’d guess it’s a lower-powered USB.
I think there's an Android/Apple difference here. I bought a split cable and tried the power side on an adapter on the power port and on an external battery that usually charges it up quickly and I still saw battery drain. From what I've researched, Android throttles itself back on charging when a USB data connection is also present. Which is profoundly dumb.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
"I'd be mildly surprised if it's USB 2."

I'd be very surprised if it was not USB 2. I wouldn't expect it to be USB 3.
I think Chevy Guy you meant to say I'd be mildly surprised if its USB3?

The reason I am asking is ...

I have two Android phones with USB-C connections (HTC and SamSung). I have a USB 2 cable with a micro USB to USB-C adapter that I use in the car. The phone connects to My Link for Android Auto and appears to be fine, even charges, albeit very slow. I was going to purchase a new cable that is USB-C (not requiring the adapter) as that is best, however it says it is for a USB 3 port. I would expect it to be downwards compatible but the company also has a USB-C to USB 2 cable so I wasn't sure if the first one is downwards compatible. I went to the manual for the 2018 Cruze and it doesn't say its USB 2 or 3. I would assume 2. I'm seeing the dealer and York Electronics to check out my defective rear view camera on Thursday ... I'll ask them what port type it is.

And if the phone does not charge from USB port (whatever the type) I'd consider that a serious issue. My 2014 Cruze did charge the phone.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I believe its a usb 2.0 which would be 1/2 amp charge, very slow by todays standards but will in fact charge up to that spec, it is current protected though so if the battery is a large capacity modern cell phone battery and its real dead it will not charge due to the high current demand, if you want fast charge you have to get a smart QUALCOMM spec type which talks to the phone and ups the charge rate to 1.5+ amps-depends on the model, the best ones are ankey you find on amazon and are capable past the 2.1 amps of most fast chargers, there are some resistors in the smart chargers to sense the apple and android phone large capacity battery's

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
"I'd be mildly surprised if it's USB 2."

I'd be very surprised if it was not USB 2. I wouldn't expect it to be USB 3.
I think Chevy Guy you meant to say I'd be mildly surprised if its USB3?
There's two issues - charging current and connection speed. I was referring to the connection speed. Unless the USB2 chips were cheaper, why would they install a USB2 port given the intended use? I'll amend my comment and suggest it's the cheapest port money can buy. There simply isn't a need for high speed access.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Yes, it can. My iPhone's battery can get a pretty hefty boost on only a 20 minute drive, similar to my 2 amp wall charger. Android Auto and Car Play work fine with it.
Mine don't charge unless the phone is asleep. It can't compare to my 2 amp charger in the socket. Charge stays about even when using android auto. And that's probably because battery saver mode has to be turned off for android auto to work properly.

·
Registered
280 Posts
yes blue is usb 3.0 and it has 5 more pins than usb 2.0, charge rate is up to 1.5 amp so still not robust for todays devices, the lighter plug dc-dc is the best shot for fast charge

·
Registered
65 Posts
My S8 Plus has no problem charging using the usb c cable. My Note 4 would not charge. Both using Android Auto.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.