Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those who may be interest here are the results of my used oil analysis taken at 10,000 miles on the oil. All of samples were taken using a special pump through the dipstick. For those who might not know what this information means this is a good website to help you out. Engine Oil Analysis - Bob is the Oil Guy

2011 LTZ
Mobil 1 5W-30
No make up oil added

12/04/11
5,000 mi
1/8/12
7,075 mi
4/14/12
ALUMINUM61012
CHROMIUM011
IRON152230
COPPER141617
LEAD000
TIN000
MOLYBDENUM617580
NICKEL011
MANGANESE112
SILVER002
TITANIUM000
POTASSIUM82220
BORON423531
SILICON81112
SODIUM647883
CALCIUM111512191221
MAGNESIUM627680679
PHOSPHORUS594694721
ZINC633728782
BARIUM111
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F57.256.457.2
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C9.439.199.43
Flashpoint in °F415375400
Fuel %<0.5<0.5<0.5
Antifreeze %0.00.00.0
Water %0.00.00.0
Insolubles %0.20.20.3
TBN3.63.22.6
TAN5.44.8
As for the TAN that I have been adding out of curiosity, well I forgot to request it on this sample so I don't have a number. The OLM is now at 4% (15,176 mi) and every time I start the car it tells me to change the oil soon. I am planning on changing the oil as a 10k OCI already seems crazy. I have some free oil changes from the dealer to use so my next oil will be ACDelco. I have heard this oil does not live up to the OLM readout even though it is dexos1 so I will be doing UOA on it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Man you've go more nerve than I. I just can't let mine go that far on an oil change. I have switched to M1 as well but I will probably still change at around 8-9 thousand.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Iron and aluminum are trending up. Does that indicate you're running longer on the oil changes, or is it the start of a problem? They do trend up with longer change intervals. TBN looks good for 10k miles. As long as Blackstone says okay, I'd run until the OLM says to change.

EDIT: Saw your post over on BITOG. Not bad that it's the same sample you've run, and that all the results are from the same oil! My UOA of Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w-30 at 7700 miles looked pretty good too. I'm trying a 10k mile oil change this time around too, after a UOA indicated a 10k OCI would be doable on QSUD.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Thanks for the information! It seems that the Mobil1 is holding its own at 10K miles. Could the metal content increase be just from break in? Also, how much oil did the engine use in 10K miles, since you didn't add any?

I've been running Mobil1 (5W-30 & 10W-30) in my cars since 1980 on 10K intervals with no problems, so I'm wondering why all the talk that the Cruze 1.4L motor shouldn't go 10K between changes? What is so different about this motor? The turbo?

I predict that the Delco Dexos1 will not do nearly as well as the full synthetic. Looking forward to your results with it. thanks again for the efforts.

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
I also use Mobil 1 and posted my recent compression and leak downs in another thread at 70K miles with extreme conditions and lots of track time. Results were very good.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
The 1.4T can indeed go 10k miles on an oil change, as long as:
1. A full synthetic dexos1 oil is used.
2. 70-100% of the driving is highway driving for extended periods of time.
3. The OLM does not go below 0%.
4 (Optional, but highly recommended!). A used oil analysis is done to ensure the individual engine in question is wearing acceptably with a 10k mile long oil change.

Reactions: SeanM402

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
On that last test you did, what was the recommendation from Blackstone labs as to how far you could continue to go on that case of oil? Did they indicate that it would be safe to exceed the OLM's recommendation of 10,000 miles for your car?

I for one would not mind going even 15k miles on a change of fully synthetic oil if the oil analysis assured me that the oil was suitable for such an extended OCI.

·
Registered
70 Posts
SeanM,
Thanks for posting. Gives me the confidence to leave the oil changes to the OLM (except for the factory fill). I just dumped the factory fill at 5,000 miles. The OLM reported 50% life remaining. That indicates the oil should be good for nearly 10,000 miles. I wasn't comfortable with the factory fill and a new engine going for 10,000 miles before a change. I refilled with Mobil 1 dexos approved.

BTW, the oil change is pretty foolproof. I was done in about 15 minutes with just a few drops spilled.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
On that last test you did, what was the recommendation from Blackstone labs as to how far you could continue to go on that case of oil? Did they indicate that it would be safe to exceed the OLM's recommendation of 10,000 miles for your car?

I for one would not mind going even 15k miles on a change of fully synthetic oil if the oil analysis assured me that the oil was suitable for such an extended OCI.
No, they didn't say to exceed the OLM. I'm also playing things safe with the warranty. Maybe after I break 100k miles or 5 years, whichever happens first, then I'll go for really extended change intervals.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
No, they didn't say to exceed the OLM. I'm also playing things safe with the warranty. Maybe after I break 100k miles or 5 years, whichever happens first, then I'll go for really extended change intervals.
Good point. I forgot about the warranty thing for a second, lol.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Sorry I haven't responded till now. Too many things going on this week. The aluminum levels have my attention. As of right now I am not sure if it is just the engine still breaking in or the start of a problem. The samples were all taken from the second fill of oil for the car. The other thing that has my eye is the potassium and sodium that is trending up. Antifreeze leak?

The engine didn't use any oil as far as I can tell. Each sample was 3 oz so I removed about a 1/3 of a quart. Blackstone recommended going another 2000 and sampling again. I just changed the oil the other day and the OLM was down to 3%. The car was also telling me to change the oil soon every time I started it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I went 12kish miles on my Royal-purple oil change. I wasn't worried in the least bit.
Why not, because you "had a good feeling?" Lol.

I don't see the point in obsessing over these things. I change my oil every 5K miles or once a year with Mobil 1. I don't care if they changed the formula, I don't care if I change the oil 10 times more than I had to over several years, etc. I'm not going to try to get a million miles out of the engine and it won't be the last car I'll ever buy. Seems like much ado about nothing. Go talk to your wife, go pet your dog, go raise your kids so they don't rob me in 10 years.

;-)

·
Registered
172 Posts
^ What? I don't understand what you're talking about at all.

I'd say me changing the oil once every 10-12K miles would be antithetical to the notion of obsessing. I don't mind paying $10/quart and spending less time to change oil and having more time to pet my wife and talk to my kitty :}

I wasn't worried because I've been into performance automotive applications for 12 years and while I don't know everything I've observed a lot of data and my conclusions leave me to reason as long as you aren't getting excessive gasoline/water in the oil the oil filter will fail before the oil and additives do on Royal Purple products.

·
Registered
178 Posts
^ What? I don't understand what you're talking about at all.

I'd say me changing the oil once every 10-12K miles would be antithetical to the notion of obsessing. I don't mind paying $10/quart and spending less time to change oil and having more time to pet my wife and talk to my kitty :}

I wasn't worried because I've been into performance automotive applications for 12 years and while I don't know everything I've observed a lot of data and my conclusions leave me to reason as long as you aren't getting excessive gasoline/water in the oil the oil filter will fail before the oil and additives do on Royal Purple products.
That's right the oil no longer fails, it just gets contaminated. I am just questioning the need to superanalyze your oil when you just agreed that there is no need. It's not like you are going to get preemptive warranty work from GM based on the data. When it fails, they fix it. Not when metals are high. :) As far as you changing your oil every 10-12K, not sure where you got that, not from me....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Higgs, I think you might read posts a bit too fast or something bud. There is an aweful lot of disconnect going on.

For instance you say "As far as you changing your oil every 10-12K, not sure where you got that, not from me...."

That comment just doesn't make any sense and there is nothing in context for me to make any assumption what you mean.
Are you suggesting that I said you taught me to go 10-12K miles?
Or are you saying the 10-12K mile number that I used in my last post was arbitrary and that you never suggested going that long?

If it's the first, I don't know why you would think that I would be implying you said to go 10-12K miles. (tongue twister - lol)
If it's the latter, it wasn't an arbitrary number I was just sharing that I brought my oil to 12K miles and that I wasn't worried based on knowing the capabilities of the oil. The only unknown factor there was fuel contamination, or if the oil filter wouldn't be up to the task.

I can say both were up to the task. The vehicle consumed very little oil, and there was no evidence of moisture anywhere in the system and the oil smelled of gas no more than any oil would with even 500 miles on it.

Seriously it only takes 20 seconds to inspect the oil, and the filter when you do an oil change. I feel it's just common sense and worth the 20 seconds to look to make sure there are no filing in the filter, or something like that. Outside of all of the the stock airfilter is perfectly clean so I'm not worried about silica contamination.

I guess conclusion, Royal Purple is good enough for me to double the life of the oil change to save myself time and money without me having to worry about it's performance.

Trust me, I already have to worry, I own a single turbo Supra that has fine tuned my analytical skills. I'll save all of my money and superfluous oil changes for that bad boy.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Taught you what? I think we should part ways here, you're right about the disconnect. I literally have NO idea what you are saying. Our exchange has been the single weirdest communication experience I have had online in 20 years.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't see the point in obsessing over these things. I change my oil every 5K miles or once a year with Mobil 1. I don't care if they changed the formula, I don't care if I change the oil 10 times more than I had to over several years, etc. I'm not going to try to get a million miles out of the engine and it won't be the last car I'll ever buy. Seems like much ado about nothing. Go talk to your wife, go pet your dog, go raise your kids so they don't rob me in 10 years.

;-)
Who on here is obsessing over oil analysis? Why did you even bother to read and comment when you supposedly couldn't care less about the topic? The analysis was done simply to see what the limit is that I can safely maximize my oil change interval to. It was also done to validate the accuracy of the OLM. It was then shared so others can use the information. I now know that with 100% confidence that this oil paired with my driving environment will easily take me 10k miles without any issue. I drive 25k+ miles every year because of my job. Last time I checked changing my oil twice a year rather than 5 times whould give me more time to talk to my wife, pet my dogs and raise my kids so they don't rob you in 10 years. Besides the fact, if I change my oil every 5k miles I would be tossing out the oil at 50% of it's useful life and wasting money.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Who on here is obsessing over oil analysis? Why did you even bother to read and comment when you supposedly couldn't care less about the topic? The analysis was done simply to see what the limit is that I can safely maximize my oil change interval to. It was also done to validate the accuracy of the OLM. It was then shared so others can use the information. I now know that with 100% confidence that this oil paired with my driving environment will easily take me 10k miles without any issue. I drive 25k+ miles every year because of my job. Last time I checked changing my oil twice a year rather than 5 times whould give me more time to talk to my wife, pet my dogs and raise my kids so they don't rob you in 10 years. Besides the fact, if I change my oil every 5k miles I would be tossing out the oil at 50% of it's useful life and wasting money.
thanks for setting me straight and telling it like it is. I learned a lot. thanks again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I changed my FF to Mobil 1 at 1600 miles. I changed that fill at 6600 miles (Mobil 1 again).
I'll probably take this fill to 12 or 13K. I like these UOA threads because they show me that the OLM can be used safely. I'll probably never go above 7500 miles on an OCI (this is a big jump for a guy who did 3K OCI's for over 30 years) but it's good to know that I can.
If I were a travelling salesman or a guy doing 25K a year I'd probably use Mobil 1 for a 10K interval. I might even try Amsoil Signature Series until the OLM read 5% (which I assume would be over 10K of highway driving).

Do you guys feel the QSUD is just as good as Mobil 1 ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts