Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
XR's synthetic oil thread prompted this question in my thoughts. I looked and didn't see a thread devoted to UOA for the 1.4L turbo motor. If I missed it, my apologies. If one does not exist, here's one. Has anyone had a UOA done on their 1.4L Cruze motor? If so, how about posting the results here?

Reactions: BowtieGuy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Haven't done my own oil change yet, nor a UOA on the Cruze yet, as i still have 8 more free oil changes at the dealership. I did do it regularly on my previous vehicle though. Very interested to see how hard on oil this little 1.4 is...

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Oh boy... Wait for it...

Sent from my Note 3

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't done my own oil change yet, nor a UOA on the Cruze yet, as i still have 8 more free oil changes at the dealership. I did do it regularly on my previous vehicle though. Very interested to see how hard on oil this little 1.4 is...
I'd be surprised if the dealership tech would refuse to give you a sample of the drain oil from your oil changes if you supplied the container. I know other dealerships have done this for their customers.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...actually, you might want to add the name "BLACKSTONE" in this thread title for better recognition of WHO with WHAT.
You just did! :blink:

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
I LOVE this from Blackstone themselves....

What's the best oil to use?

Ah, the million dollar question. We are an independent lab, so we don't make recommendations. It has been our experience that oil is oil, and either petroleum or synthetic-based oil will work well for just about any engine.​
Come on, you're holding out on me. I should use synthetic, right?

Buddy, you should use whatever you want. Synthetic oil won't guarantee a longer engine life any more than my eating organic food will guarantee I'll live until I'm 90. We here at Blackstone generally use regular petroleum-based oil because honestly, it works just as well for us.
EDIT: I still prefer synthetic myself :)

Reactions: cruze01

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
I LOVE this from Blackstone themselves....

EDIT: I still prefer synthetic myself :)
I am surprised that a company that specializes in oil testing analysis would give out such blatantly false advice.

"Buddy, you should use whatever you want...oil won't guarantee a longer engine life..."

Yeah...tell that to the Mazdaspeed 3 owners who ran conventional oils because their dealers told them to and started dropping turbos at 20-30k miles. Tell them to go back to conventional.

For the record, eating organic food won't guarantee you live till you're 90, but it sure as **** guarantees that you'll live healthier than those who eat chemical-filled, hormone-grown, and/or processed foods every day.

Then again, Blackstone doesn't test TBN or cold flow properties unless you specifically request it.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Blew my mind as well. Probably just covering their butts.

Sent from my Note 3

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I am surprised that a company that specializes in oil testing analysis would give out such blatantly false advice.

"Buddy, you should use whatever you want...oil won't guarantee a longer engine life..."

I think the point they are trying to make(poorly) is if one is changing oil regularly or testing to verify it at longer intervals one should not experience any excessive wear no matter what oil is used.

Think of it this way, which one will produce the least engine wear, changing conventional oil at 3,000 miles or going 10,000 miles with amsoil? I can guarantee no matter what oil is used the shorter change interval will probably win or help nullify any synthetic advantages.

Sure synthetic breaks down slower & can handle higher temps, but does it really have superior metal protection properties?

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
I think the point they are trying to make(poorly) is if one is changing oil regularly or testing to verify it at longer intervals one should not experience any excessive wear no matter what oil is used.

Think of it this way, which one will produce the least engine wear, changing conventional oil at 3,000 miles or going 10,000 miles with amsoil? I can guarantee no matter what oil is used the shorter change interval will probably win or help nullify any synthetic advantages.

Sure synthetic breaks down slower & can handle higher temps, but does it really have superior metal protection properties?
Yes. ANY true synthetic oil has a ~700 times the fluid film strength of conventional oil at the same weight. I repeat, ANY true synthetic PAO/Ester base stock by ANY company.

It's not just about breaking down. There is so much more to it. I've been trying to teach people, but even my "Oil University" thread has received no replies. Some people just don't seem to care.

It's almost laughable. We have people who go to stupid lengths to increase power and reduce weight to make their cars faster. They put in incredible and meticulous effort, yet they settle on an oil that is "good enough."

Sent from mobile.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No TBN? Sir, I am disappointed! Still good to see a baseline for these cars. I plan on running Mobil 1 High Mileage after my free oil changes. I am well acquainted with the Blackstone UOA reports and am personally not impressed with the AMSOIL motor oil analysis I've seen for the $$$ they want, though I realize there are people out there that don't mind paying more just for a peace of mind factor.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
No TBN? Sir, I am disappointed! Still good to see a baseline for these cars. I plan on running Mobil 1 High Mileage after my free oil changes. I am well acquainted with the Blackstone UOA reports and am personally not impressed with the AMSOIL motor oil analysis I've seen for the $$$ they want, though I realize there are people out there that don't mind paying more just for a peace of mind factor.
It's actually oil analyzers Inc. Amsoil doesn't do the testing even though they sell the kits. Kinda like how Amsoil also sells Wix filters, Trico wiper blades, and Mann filters.

As for the oil, the testing results show some pretty good numbers clear past 15k miles. Unfortunately, not many people care to run their cars that long. In Europe, they spec a normal service oil change interval with full synthetics on an ecotec at 18k miles/30km because the oils can go that far.

Oil testing analysis shows a limited scope. It is not an end-all metric for determining oil quality. For example, Amsoil puts a great deal of R&D into the friction modifiers they use in your fluids. UOA won't show any of that, but does add cost, and other oils don't have them.

The Amsoil SS he used is a true group 4/5 full synthetic. Mobil 1 EP is just a high-detergent, high-additive group 3 hydro cracked oil. Good oil, but still a heavily purified petroleum oil.

Sent from mobile.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I plan on running Mobil 1 High Mileage after my free oil changes.
Curious why you would choose high mileage oil for a low mileage engine? I actually hate mobil 1 high mileage, have seen it turn to condensated crud by 3,000 miles in more than one engine(engines that had no issues with regular mobil 1). I assume this difference is due to some additive in it to help stop leaks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's actually oil analyzers Inc. Amsoil doesn't do the testing even though they sell the kits. Kinda like how Amsoil also sells Wix filters, Trico wiper blades, and Mann filters.

As for the oil, the testing results show some pretty good numbers clear past 15k miles. Unfortunately, not many people care to run their cars that long. In Europe, they spec a normal service oil change interval with full synthetics on an ecotec at 18k miles/30km because the oils can go that far.

Oil testing analysis shows a limited scope. It is not an end-all metric for determining oil quality. For example, Amsoil puts a great deal of R&D into the friction modifiers they use in your fluids. UOA won't show any of that, but does add cost, and other oils don't have them.

The Amsoil SS he used is a true group 4/5 full synthetic. Mobil 1 EP is just a high-detergent, high-additive group 3 hydro cracked oil. Good oil, but still a heavily purified petroleum oil.

Sent from mobile.
:icon_scratch: I believe I was misunderstood. I should say that I am more than familiar with UOA. Of course AMSOIL doesn't do their own UOA. After seeing numerous UOA of AMSOIL ran 10k and less, my personal opinion of AMSOIL is it is overrated and overpriced. Then again, I think many oils are overpriced (including the oil I run). As for M1 High mileage, I like the overly impressive additive pac but I only stock up when it's on sale. I've run it without any issues on my last vehicle and currently run it in my '79 Z28.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Took my first sample at 25600 miles and sent it out yesterday. Chose WIX instead of Blackstone. I'll post the results when I get them back. I'm a little worried, took the OLM below 0 at 8150 miles on pennzoil platinum. It was about 1/4 quart low, the oil was coal black and smelled burnt! We'll see how it turns out but I don't think I'll go that far again.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
:icon_scratch: I believe I was misunderstood. I should say that I am more than familiar with UOA. Of course AMSOIL doesn't do their own UOA. After seeing numerous UOA of AMSOIL ran 10k and less, my personal opinion of AMSOIL is it is overrated and overpriced. Then again, I think many oils are overpriced (including the oil I run). As for M1 High mileage, I like the overly impressive additive pac but I only stock up when it's on sale. I've run it without any issues on my last vehicle and currently run it in my '79 Z28.
What is your basis? The severely misunderstood "TBN retention?" The wear metals? In both cases, AMSOIL SS performs well. Some like Mobil 1 for what they claim to be "good TBN retention." Of course, they conveniently ignore that Mg-based detergents are less effective at neutralizing acidity. Sure, the TBN is higher, but so is the TAN (total acidity) in the oil. Conveniently not often tested by Blackstone. TBN decay is a nonlinear function. Just because you start with a TBN of 10.0 and 5k miles later you have a TBN of 5.0, that doesn't mean that after another 5k miles you will be at 0.

I've seen both the oil analysis results and the numbers across the board. As for the Mobil 1 EP, I've seen the UOAs on that as well, and those contain above-average wear metal levels. So far, we have one UOA of AMSOIL SS in a Cruze. That UOA contained 3.6% fuel dilution and a TBN of 5.x after 11,200 miles.

I'm going to lay this out as simply as I can to shatter your opinion of AMSOIL.

1. The oil was run for 11,236 miles in a tuned Cruze.
2. The oil had 3.6% fuel dilution, which thinned it to a 20-weight oil with a viscosity 8.1.
3. The TBN was still at 5.56.

Despite the fuel dilution, the severe viscosity thinning, the high mileage, and the additive depletion, we end up with the following wear levels:

Iron: 3ppm
Copper: 1ppm
Silicon: 4ppm

All other metals were at zero. Sounds to me like the oil did its job, and were it not for the fuel dilution (and consequent additive depletion), could have made it to the advertised 15k severe service interval.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Finally got my UOA back. Not to bad but the TBN didn't hold up very good. Everything else looks great for 8150 miles. I ran the OLM below 0 by about 800 miles on this one. I was on a trip to Va Beach and could'nt do it till I got back.

UOA 2013 Cruze LT 4-02-14-.jpg

·
Registered
589 Posts
Here's the second UOA on my Cruze. 7050 miles on this one using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. (the report has it wrong as PP) Not bad at all!

Sorry for the low quality image!

20150223_212809251_iOS (2).jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts