Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've tried to look around on google about this but can't really find anything in regards to what I'm wanting to know. The question at hand is with the manual setting of my trans (I have an automatic 1.4L turbo), when it is manual mode, can I drive it as I would a manual? I'm talking in terms of rpms and shifting. I know the auto trans usually shifts around 2500 rpms and unfortunately downshifts itself at 1500 by itself (which I hate). But if I take the rpms higher in range before shifting or leave it in manual mode for long periods of time, will any harm be done to the trans? Really the only thing I have found on the internet about the manual mode is using it for slippery roads to shift into 2nd from a dead stop to avoid tire spin, or using it to downshift down hill to avoid using the brakes as much. But being that the car is kind of a sporty car I would like to every now and then use the manual setting as if I was driving a manual car. I have noticed too that it makes it easier to merge onto a highway in manual being as I can keep the rpms higher when merging. I guess my main concern is if there will be any premature damage done to the trans if I use that setting too much.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,903 Posts
The trans won't let you shift unless it can safely do so - if it can't, you'll get a "Shift Denied" message on the DIC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I've noticed that. So driving long term in manual mode isn't going to cause any harm? And if I was to go through the gear while, say, driving on a curvy road or something (for more of a performance feel) things would be alright on the trans?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I drive with manual mode all the time, simply because it's a little more fun and gives you somewhat more control of the car. Using manual mode vs auto shouldn't be harmful. I would try to avoid doing crazy downshifts where the RPMs fly up (remember 1st gear is super sharp). That could be bad for your motor mounts and transmission (I don't know enough to say what it'd damage). To answer your question, it should be fine, just be smart about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, I'll be a little more willing to play around in manual then. The only part that sucks is it downshifts for you, I tend to forgot about that and end up downshifting myself causing it to go down one too many gears. But I agree it is fun. I don't do hard downshifts in a manual transmission though, I try to keep the rpms from spiking too much just to avoid the jolt forward it gives, and the stress on the engine/trans. I just know this car was made for having the manual mode used kind of like "sport" mode I guess. I love using it just wanted to be sure there wasn't some kind of..."limit" I guess LOL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts