Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever replaced JUST the valve cover gasket on either the 1.8 or 1.4 engine? I have oil seeping around the perimeter of my valve cover on my 1.8, so it’s safe to assume is the gasket. I have no codes being thrown or engine light. No pvc type issues with it especially it being a 1.8. So with this said I am opting to just replace the valve cover gasket myself. Any suggestions? I do see they sell the gasket by felpro which from what I know is a well known gasket manufacture. How does it compare to oem?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just did a couple of days ago on the 1.4. I had replaced the valve cover as part of the PCV system fix, but managed to catch about 2" of the gasket on something and pull it out of the groove, and then tightened it down without being able to see my error, so it leaked and I had to replace it.

The gasket I got from O'Reilly's was a Fel-Pro and seemed to be a bit better of a gasket than the OEM one, but it did not fit as tightly into the groove in the valve cover, so a lot of care was needed to make sure it stayed in place as the cover was positioned and bolts threaded in.

I'm not sure what material the OEM gasket is, but it did NOT age well. My Cruze is a 2011 with about 83,000 mi on it, and the gasket was hard and brittle and stuck to the head. I broke a chunk of the old valve cover trying to pry it loose, and had to spend a couple hours peeling/chipping off the old gasket and then cleaning off the remnants with carb cleaner. What a mess.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The first time around, probably about 3 hours since the original gasket was stuck to the head so bad. The second time around, probably 45 minutes to an hour.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any possibility of anyone being able to provide the torque specks as well as sequence to the 1.8 valve cover?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts