Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Cruze 1.4t with 110km.

I have been runnung it on GM Dexos. However just had an oil change at Mobil 1 and they put this Maxlife stuff in. I realized later when reading my bill. Should I dump it? All the additives make me nervous.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
you have thr 1.,4 no emmisions stuff to really worry so your fine.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Maxlife has extras added to help rejuvenate seals that do shrink over time. I saw a independent study about a year ago the showed these oils really do help with the seals as the age.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
We don't really have a problem with seals. Seal swelling additives are used in the industry but as with any additives, they come at a price, usually a compromise with performance. This car isn't old enough for those to be a factor.

The 1.4T requires a synthetic oil for longevity. Don't even bother looking at semi-synthetic options with how cheap some of the lower grade group 3 synthetics have become.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any time I have put synthetic in an older motor its caused leaks so do not want to go there.

·
10,712 Posts
Any time I have put synthetic in an older motor its caused leaks so do not want to go there.
For Todays GM cars, Synthetic is fine. Which one you use may vary how long you can leave it in there for. Running a non synthetic in Todays GM cars would pretty much cause you the opposite of leaks and cause all kinds of bad things just short of powertrain warranty issues. The 1.4T in question works extremely well on synthetic oils vs the semi synthetic minimum requirement.

In short, the Dexos 1 requirements were in the process of changing to full synthetic IIRC. My old dealer has since changed their semi $39 oil and tire rotation package into a full synthetic $49 package. Not sure when that change happened as I just noticed it beginning of the month.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
This is not an old engine. You need synthetics in order to keep the turbo from eating itself in the long term, and with GM's gen2 dexos1 spec, all GM vehicles will be filled with synthetic if serviced at a dealer. The days of conventional oil are done. If your engine has leaks, replace the gaskets/seals causing those leaks. Deposits that old oils left behind to keep seals from leaking will also stick to modern low-tension piston rings, causing the vehicle to burn oil, and will also destroy turbos in short order.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts