Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
481 Posts
ANY doughnut spare, not matter the size or position used is to be used ONLY for emergencies to get you to a place to get a proper repair done. They are not recommended to be used for more than 50 miles and not to exceed speeds of 50 MPH!!! Yet I have seen many people on the freeway flying along at 70-80 MPH with a doughnut spare on the car... That is soooo unsafe and just begging for problems.

If you want a spare that you can drive on like normal you need to get a full size spare with a properly sized tire as well... If you do get a doughnut spare, I hope you never have to use it. But if you do, be sure to use it properly... Also don't forget that you will need a jack and lug wrench to change a tire. Finally if you do have a flat, pull to a safe area before attempting to change the tire. DO NOT change the tire on the side of the freeway with traffic whizzing by at 80 MPH!!! Get well off the road, preferably to a parking lot or something like that where traffic will not be a factor in your safety!

· Premium Member
481 Posts
My gas cruze came with a compact spare, I sold it for $100 plus traded for the ECO trunk liner and inflator kit. I then used $75 of that money to get a closeout 16in rim from tirerack.com(same size as my cruze came with). I then just paid the tireshop to install one of my old tires when I got new ones.

I feel much better knowing I have no speed or distance limitations if I ever do get a real flat. If I did it again I would have bought a matching 1LT 16in rim so I would have had a spare matching rim as well. I also like having the inflator kit, I've used it a dozen times to air up a tire(goo bypassed).
I am not sure about the GM supplied tire "goo" but I can say with confidence that Tire Slime works well for holes in the tread area of a tire, even pretty large ones. Many desert racers run it in their tires to seal punctures as they race... One day I came out to my Duramax truck (on 37-inch Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires and true beadlock wheels) and the passenger side rear tire was completely FLAT!!! I don't drive the truck daily so I didn;t even notice until I went to drive off and felt it... Anyhow I start to inflate the tire expecting a small pinhole leak and they is a large hole near a tread block with air flowing out almost as fast as it is going in from my ARB dual head compressor. So I filled the tire with a bottle of Tire Slime I had in the garage for years and then inflated the tire and went for a drive as directed on the instructions. The tire has not leaked again since!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.