Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Super 14GT Turbo Upgrade – $899.00 + $400 core deposit

We start with a stock Garrett MZGT1446MZGL turbo and then we machine the compressor housing to accept our proprietary compressor wheel upgrade, then clip the turbine wheel to reduce back pressure. A direct bolt-on solution that allows us to increase the maximum boost and airflow over the stock turbo by over 15%. This is a direct bolt-on replacement to your stock turbo - no need to purchase a separate exhaust manifold. Due to the complex design of the stock turbo this upgrade required extensive development to allow the compressor housing to be machined properly but the results are the most cost effective turbo upgrade available for your 1.4T engine. Don't be fooled into thinking that your downpipe and exhaust are major bottle necks on the stock engine - we have tested the stock turbo with the ZZP 3" downpipe (cats deleted) and 2.5" custom exhaust and the stock turbo will still only flow a maximum of ~18.5 lb/min. With our exclusive Super 14GT turbo upgrade installed on our 2011 Cruze LT with the stock downpipe, stock exhaust, and cats still in place we achieved over 22 lb/min of mass airflow at 26psi boost pressure.

Keep in mind that to safely run much over 21psi of boost pressure for any significant period of time you need to install methanol/water injection. High boost pressure will cause your combustion temperatures to skyrocket, and as your piston temperature increases it weakens the integrity of the piston which may eventually fail (broken ring lands, etc) under the stresses imposed at higher than stock boost levels. Methanol/water injection keeps the combustion temperatures much lower even under high boost levels so your pistons remain cooler, which maintains the structural integrity of the piston. This is why many teams attempting speed records on the Bonneville Salt Flats use water or methanol/water injection systems. The OEM strategy on your 1.4T is to dump excessive amounts of fuel into the combustion chamber after a few seconds of WOT, which saves your engine but kills the power. With methanol/water injection we can keep the fueling exactly where we want it at all times and make maximum power.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
:) A other good one brian! I want it! :) Yes yes yes!

·
Administrator
15,757 Posts
Methanol injection is a very compromised way to make power. It's not "streetable" for the general user. It's great for purpose built race cars, but questionable for high 14 second economy cars.

How much power are you actually losing with a richer fuel mixture? Stock is around 13.8:1 under PE. I don't see you losing a whole lot with a 12.5 AFR.

Great job on the turbo BTW.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Nice! In the early to late 1970's I had turbocharged a car and also incorporated H20 injection. I agree this is good for making safe high boost however it was a compromise. I am intrigued by this set up.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Need some dyno charts!

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I will send you my dyno chart when the kit will be install and ready.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I think we need someone working on transmission mods for these cars. Stock parts won't hold up to this kind of power forever.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
I think we need someone working on transmission mods for these cars. Stock parts won't hold up to this kind of power forever.
Agreed. The stock clutch has a max of around 210ft-lbs, and the tranny sits at 237 max. I personally wouldnt want to test those numbers, Id rather have a nice window to work with..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Where have you found this limite numbers?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Methanol injection is a very compromised way to make power. It's not "streetable" for the general user. It's great for purpose built race cars, but questionable for high 14 second economy cars.

How much power are you actually losing with a richer fuel mixture? Stock is around 13.8:1 under PE. I don't see you losing a whole lot with a 12.5 AFR.

Great job on the turbo BTW.
I have to disagree - methanol/water injection systems have come a long way. Why do you say they are not streetable for the general user? These systems are basically bolt on modifications these days. Have you watched the episode on Power Block TV (click here to watch now!) I run methanol/water on my Cruze daily driver - the only maintenance is filling up my reservoir with boost fluid with each tank of gas. Power comes on smoothly and if I did not have an LED indicator on my dash you would not know the car was running with methanol/water. I buy 50/50 methanol/water pre-mixed for $2.99/gallon. You can have the system up and running in less than 3 hours and performing optimally just by following our installation instructions. We provide you with the correct jet and controller settings to provide the correct injection matched to our custom engine calibrations developed for use with the Snow Performance GM Stage 2 MAF system, which incorporates fail safes to cut boost and ignition timing back to stock levels in the event that you run out of fluid.

The stock engine calibration will very quickly run 10.5:1 AFR after a short time under wide open throttle - this is due to several layers of protection triggered by high combustion gas temperatures to protect your cats, turbo, and pistons.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Need some dyno charts!
I will be probably put the car back on the dyno next week, but keep in mind that the result will only reflect the gains that are possible running our meth/water sytem, ported intake, and our custom tuning designed for use with the upgraded turbo. I was running this turbo at 26psi up to 6500 rpm when I ran the [email protected] in my Cruze LT Automatic. I need to get a fresh "baseline" before upgrading the valve springs, so the next dyno session will serve that purpose.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good Work! Keep leading the way.
Are the valve springs to fix current issues or are you shooting for an increased redline?
Any plans for drag radials?

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Maybe we can go at the same time at the dyno if you want. But im not sure all my part will be receive and install...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Cool that there's an aftermarket turbo upgrade now. Definitely wouldn't want to have to run meth injection all the time. Not on a grocery getter anyway just to run high 14s.

Definitely would love to see the dyno though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good Work! Keep leading the way.
Are the valve springs to fix current issues or are you shooting for an increased redline?
Any plans for drag radials?
The valve spring upgrade is to allow the redline to be raised safely. The stock springs when brand new provide only 44 lbs of seat pressure, which will only decrease after installing and running them for some time. No plans for drag radials - I only run the 1/4 to demonstrate what the car is capable of on the street and for comparison purposes to stock. Reducing the weight of the vehicle by removing seats, bumpers, etc. and running tires that are not practical on the street does not give my customers a realistic idea of the performance increase they can expect from our upgrades.

·
Contest Manager
2,251 Posts
Reducing the weight of the vehicle by removing seats, bumpers, etc. and running tires that are not practical on the street does not give my customers a realistic idea of the performance increase they can expect from our upgrades.
While this is true, there are a lot of people who want to know what a good set of tires can do on this car. Keep in mind we are running low resistance tires as you already know.
The guys that have been to the track have already found out that they are pretty bad for spinning off the line. I haven't seen anyone post anywhere that they have added drag radials. The owner of sonic doesn't even have radials on his car (saw him at the cruze meet).

In the end I'm sure most would still like to see this happen even if "it's not practical for the street". The end result will still gain an interest. If that means more people buying a pair for the drag season because of marginal gain or if it wasn't as good as we expected then people have the knowledge from your experience.

Sent from iPhone 4

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
why not use a upgraded intercooler and water meth in the same time? hehehe we will try this in the next week!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts