Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if it's because of the lower profile wheel/tire, but it's not the biggest of all, the Premier has 18"

The ride quality is very harsh especially when running thru potholes, the suspension doesn't absorb any bumps.

Does the LT RS Pkg come with Z-link suspension like the standard on the Premier?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes the Z-link is a part of the RS Pkg. I have a 2019 LT RS, it has 17" rims, still low profile tires and it's an amazingly smooth ride

·
Registered
829 Posts
My '17 Premier has the z-link as well and I was a fine ride on the stock 17's and still fine on the 18" aftermarket wheels I put on.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yeah it's the 18s. Everyone has a different tolerance for this kind of thing but no matter how you slice it, 18s in the city is rough unless it's a Cadillac. Just the nature of the beast. I have 16s in the city and it's pretty good. I've gone back and forth on the idea of wheels but if I do I don't think I'd go bigger than 17s just to keep as much cushion as possible for potholes.

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
The z link actually helps with comfort and control since it keeps the rear axle centered thus less stray inputs from it that you’ll feel, less jello effect from axle 18s even with comfort all seasons still ride harsh vs 17 and 16.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Harsh ride quality, especially over sharp edges bumps is due to the 18s. Switching to a 225/45/18 or 235/40/18 in a comfort tire helps a LITTLE but otherwise youre looking at going -1 or -2 wheels size to get some more sidewall.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, on the RS Pkg the steering feels much more tighter than the LT (non-RS) with the 16"s. The standard LT is lighter and easier to turn.

"

·
Registered
36 Posts
Agreed for my Cruze RS Premier. At 20k, I'm giving thought to a tire and wheel change for my spring-summer-fall tires (I have a 16" winter tire and wheel set using Gen 1 alloys). I like the look of these 18" wheels from the GM Accessory Shop for my black car, but they are super-pricey from all sources and won't give me any more sidewall. Instead, I'm looking at these 17" wheels from Tire Rack for $150/each and switching to these Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 summer tires in the 235 45 17 size for $144/each. I'll get more sidewall and not change the speedometer accuracy. These tires were great for me on my Astra. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Agreed for my Cruze RS Premier. At 20k, I'm giving thought to a tire and wheel change for my spring-summer-fall tires (I have a 16" winter tire and wheel set using Gen 1 alloys). I like the look of these 18" wheels from the GM Accessory Shop for my black car, but they are super-pricey from all sources and won't give me any more sidewall. Instead, I'm looking at these 17" wheels from Tire Rack for $150/each and switching to these Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 summer tires in the 235 45 17 size for $144/each. I'll get more sidewall and not change the speedometer accuracy. These tires were great for me on my Astra. Thoughts?
Great tires but the Indy 500 aRe a ultra high performance summer tire. They are designed to be fast and communicative. You’ll have a stiff and harsh ride vs a all season performance or touring tire. I ride my Cruze diesel with ultra high performance all season and her spark with ultra high summer tires.
Definitely more sidewall will help but going summer performance won’t be the right direction if comfortable ride is 100% your goal. What exactly are you looking to get out of the swap

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm hoping the taller 235 45 17 sidewall will give me a bit better ride than the stock 18"'s, without losing the performance advantage of the upgraded suspension and steering ratio. In other words, trying to somewhat improve the ride (impact harshness) without degrading the handling in a significant way, from mid-March until November, anyway, in my Chicagoland climate.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Continental Extreme Contact DWS are a nice comfortable ultra high performance all season tire. They are quiet, ride well, and are lighter than many other UHPAS. I'm either replacing my stock MXM4s with 235/40 contis, or possibly going to a 17x8 wheel and running 235/45/17.

Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum is a very well priced touring tire that is comfortable, quiet and good wearing. I've got a set on my Impala, my brothers 2015 Cruze, and my mother's minivan. I think they are still available at some vendors, but I believe was replaced by the Majesty 9 TA91....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Since I'm doing the winter tire and wheel swap anyway, I'm shopping summer tires and those Indy's are pretty well reviewed at that price point and on my previous hatch. Almost any other highly rated UHPS tires are much more costly.

Maven, you agree that 235/45/17 won't lead to any significant speedo differences?

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
I'm hoping the taller 235 45 17 sidewall will give me a bit better ride than the stock 18"'s, without losing the performance advantage of the upgraded suspension and steering ratio. In other words, trying to somewhat improve the ride (impact harshness) without degrading the handling in a significant way, from mid-March until November, anyway, in my Chicagoland climate.
Well if you still want sporty AND a bit more impact comfort rather then ignore the road then your plan seems a good balance. The Indy 500 are great tires, I’ve riden in cooper S with them and when I got a turn in the fast seat they grip very well. Plus they are very well priced. The bigger side wall will be more complacent yet summer performance will keep the connected feel we as drivers crave.

in my diesel all I could get was the Dunlop direzza dz102 or the firehawk 500. However tire rack had a huge rebate on the BFG sport comp 2 A/s so I couldn’t pass that up. Plus we do travel a lot so once in a while the all season will help. The diesel is 17’s and I can say performance rubber on 17’s ride very nice.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
It depends on the tires, but no there shouldn't be any perceivable deviation.

I would avoid the Firestones. I don't like them, I feel they wear like ****, and get noisy very easily. The ride isn't justified by the at the limit handling either. Never been a fan. For $100 I'd rather have kumho ps31 all day. Or save up another $10/tire and go with Bridgestone S04. Great tire, ran two sets on my Cobalt SSs. Been beat up and down Tail of The Dragon, NJ Motorsports Park and VIR.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Instill whole heatedly believe an UHPAS is the best choice for a cruze. The compromises made to ride quality in a summer perfoamce tire don't typically evince themselves in wet weather traction as compared to a top tier UHPAS. I love the S04s(and the Direzzas, ran DZ101s) but Conti DWS are a much more livable tire with minimal lost to the super rubber on the street. Especially in a sub 200hp car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sometimes I missing the ride on on my Dunlop SP Winter Sports 4D's (205/55/16), but that's not really fair. Its gotten so I'm also tired of the tire noise on the stock Michelin Primacy MXM4's, too. This Motor Trend article pretty much says it for me: 2016 Chevrolet Cruze First Drive Review: Is This the Camaro of Compacts?: "I'll be gobsmacked if the numbers reveal an improvement that my ears would deem worthy of the unholy din these meats generate on all types of pavement. Take a long test drive before signing up for this punishment. "

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
I like the direzza dz102 but they don’t feel as sporty as I’d like. But the ya re comfortable and quiet to live with. Firestone 500 is very aggressive and that’s their selling point, so loud is expected and I felt their grip to be very good for the price. BFG sport comps are loud like even the all season I hear tire roar inside, not bad for how comfortable and high traction they are but notable.

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
The Firestones are lauded more so than the Bridgestones on Tire Rack's review website, while the Potenza's are out of stock in South Bend. Perhaps this is because of the $70 rebate for a set of four, which brings the price under the Indy 500 Wide Ovals. Offer detail page in HTML | Firestone Complete Auto Care.
They are good albeit a little loud tired and at that deal jump on it. I’ll take a little louder radio to fix loud tires over less grip and safety margins

·
Registered
36 Posts
Note also the UTOG scores: The Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 has a 340 AA, while the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position has a 280 A A. Regardless, Tire Rack knocks off $40 for a set of tires and $40 off a set of wheels by doing the pick-up at their South Bend distribution center, about 2:30 from here. Bonus: the drive also presents a chance to buy Stroh's Beer in bottles, which is hard to do here in the North Suburbs of Chicago.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts