Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
The DWS is a 560 AA A :)

The S04 has better wet rating than the Firestone. The S04 is 280AA-A, the Indy is 340 A-A. Even tire rack says the Indy is stiff riding and weak in the wet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'll tell ya the Primacy's gave me a scare on a wet concrete ramp just two nights ago. I'll be happy to swap them out for that and all of the above reasons.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
The MXM4s def lose grip as they age. Michelins tend to get hard and crack.

Hope you like whatever you get, I just can't get onboard Firestones. It's their second string company and product line and I'm not buying tires from Thailand. LOL

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, I'll have this car for a while, so the discount and the spooky wet handling on the MXM4's are taking me to the S-04's. I'll have another few chance for tire swaps, especially with the lower tread wear rating on the Bridgestones ;). Some Firestone nostalgia for the Indy's and for these 80s Firestone's too. But I also fondly remember the Scat-Trac 60's on my previous Chevy, a 72' Vega GT (although mine was red).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Happy outcome! The car loses no handling ability but gains a much improved ride with the S-04's. The impact harshness is greatly reduced. See photo below for the sidewall height differences. The all-season MXM4's might wind up as my winter tires when the Dunlops (on the Gen1 wheels) wear out. Some tips: the TPMS sensors on Amazon were $5/each, way less than Tire Rack or the Firestone store. I used the same ones in the Dunlops with no problems last winter. I checked a sidewall at the Firestone store and both my S-04's and the Indy's are Made in Japan and I might go back to the Indy's later unless the wet handling on the S-04's are as remarkable as I've been told to expect. The 17" wheels from Tire Rack come with a "Sport Tuning" center cap, but shiny black ABS caps were only $15/set. Now, as to whether those caps should stay blank...?

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Glad you like the change so far! I'm deciding on some 17s right now as well. I really want to go from my stock 18 MXM4s to 17 severe service tires, but I don't think the stock tires will make it to November....

I might end up on all seasons all winter. Wouldn't be first time (I actually spent one winter on Contisportcontacts on a non-ABS 5spees Cobalt, and another on S04s, on a 300hp+ SS Balt. LOL) but I drive much farther on my commute now, and through some fairly rural areas.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The MXM4s seem like little more than rim liners on the photos of the 18"'s. Maybe too low a profile and I'll bet I won't enjoy a winter with them. The 17" wheels look good to me on a black car, but I don't know how well they'd play with other colors.

BTW: I think my Astra XR shared its engine with the base Cobalt. It was built to look good and handle. Not slow, but not quick. Struggling Saturn was foiled by the exchange rates from importing the VXR/OPC version.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
I'll be running black wheels, almost definitely since I've got a Redline, and a 235/45 should look just fine. I'm even considering some 245/45/17s on 17x9 We'll see.

·
Registered
2017 Cruze LT RS hatchback
6 Posts
Yes the Z-link is a part of the RS Pkg. I have a 2019 LT RS, it has 17" rims, still low profile tires and it's an amazingly smooth ride
My 2017 lt rs hatchback does not have the z link and i have 16 inch wheels. Would adding a z-link help stiffen up the suspension? My moms 2016 premier rs sedan has 18s and a z-link. It feels a lot sportier than mine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 2017 lt rs hatchback does not have the z link and i have 16 inch wheels. Would adding a z-link help stiffen up the suspension? My moms 2016 premier rs sedan has 18s and a z-link. It feels a lot sportier than mine.
Absolutely adding a z-link will help stiffen it up, that's the job of the z-link is to prevent body roll when turning (really more for high speeds) but that added stiffness will be felt all around. In respect to the tires, the lower profile you get the stiffer it all feels as well, with 17's and especially 18's you will have less side wall than 16's which will give less room for the tires to squash when turning. Honestly I'm surprised your RS doesn't already have the z-link because when I got my car it was listed as a part of the RS package.

·
Registered
2017 Cruze LT RS hatchback
6 Posts
Absolutely adding a z-link will help stiffen it up, that's the job of the z-link is to prevent body roll when turning (really more for high speeds) but that added stiffness will be felt all around. In respect to the tires, the lower profile you get the stiffer it all feels as well, with 17's and especially 18's you will have less side wall than 16's which will give less room for the tires to squash when turning. Honestly I'm surprised your RS doesn't already have the z-link because when I got my car it was listed as a part of the RS package.
Thats what i thought too. I've read that i need to change the whole rear axle to add a z-link.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Zlink doesn't reduce body roll when turning. It's intended to keep the axle and rear wheels centered under the car when under lateral loads and to reduce the affects off rear axle bump steer.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,796 Posts
Zlink doesn't reduce body roll when turning. It's intended to keep the axle and rear wheels centered under the car when under lateral loads and to reduce the affects off rear axle bump steer.
Yup, keeps it from shifting side to side over bumps. Doesn't affect body roll one bit.

Would love to add a watts link into the Volt, as the rear-end shimmy is very noticeable over bumps, due to how softly sprung the car is (since the CG is so low, they didn't need to go anywhere near stiff with the suspension to reduce body roll - it does that all on its own. Hurray physics!). The Cobalt doesn't have as much of an issue with that, given it's a lot stiffer, with a massive rear swaybar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The MXM4s seem like little more than rim liners on the photos of the 18"'s. Maybe too low a profile and I'll bet I won't enjoy a winter with them. The 17" wheels look good to me on a black car, but I don't know how well they'd play with other colors.

BTW: I think my Astra XR shared its engine with the base Cobalt. It was built to look good and handle. Not slow, but not quick. Struggling Saturn was foiled by the exchange rates from importing the VXR/OPC version.
I have a 2018 Premium Hatchback with the RS package. I used the MXM tires in Colorado in the winter with no problem, even in the mountains. But it's impossible to mount chains to the car with the 18s thigh, not enough clearance. What's more problematic is how quickly the MXM wear out. I had to replace mine at 20k. More I'm using General Max-G AS-05, and they are great. Smoother ride, quieter, and I have better grip in dry and wet weather. Haven't had the chance to test the new tires in snow yet though.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
I have a 2018 Premium Hatchback with the RS package. I used the MXM tires in Colorado in the winter with no problem, even in the mountains. But it's impossible to mount chains to the car with the 18s thigh, not enough clearance. What's more problematic is how quickly the MXM wear out. I had to replace mine at 20k. More I'm using General Max-G AS-05, and they are great. Smoother ride, quieter, and I have better grip in dry and wet weather. Haven't had the chance to test the new tires in snow yet though.
My stock michelins aren't at the 2/32” wear bar yet and have well over 60k miles on them. I'll probably change them out to Conti DWS or Vredestein severe service rated all season by end of month, about 65k miles.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts