Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been tracking a coolant leak for the past few months... I feel like it was happening last year too, but I always chalked it up to the typical/occasional need to add a splash of coolant to most vehicles. It loses about 1 hash mark of coolant every 2 weeks, or at least it's doing that now that temps are in the low 90's where I'm stationed. Those are the average temps in the shade, but it's in the low 100's in the sun on a cool day.

Any thoughts on what this is? I can't find any leakage from a visual check in the engine bay, and have never once seen a puddle. My first thought was water pump, but I'm also wondering if the cap is venting fluid from all the excess heat.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to check that out. I'm not seeing any milkish crap in the oil, though.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
My 2014 CTD lost a water pump at 64,000 miles which I'm told is pretty rare. Apparently very common issue with the gas models but not diesels.

Unlike your issue, my coolant leak went from zero to fail without warning. Took a short 5 mile jaunt into town for breakfast and came out to discover a large puddle of orange coolant.

Chevy replaced the water pump, timing belt and tensioner under warranty, no charge. Details posted under Gen 1 Diesel Water Pump Failure.

Good luck, hoping yours is an easy problem to identify and fix.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I had the head gaskets go on my 97 Sierra, and it did the same thing as yours: fine one minute, and then oceans of coolant everywhere the next.

I bought some dye on Amazon and it will be here tomorrow. Hopefully it's either a small fix, or if it is the pump or head gaskets, it's something I can identify and then show the dealer so they can replace it under warranty. Would much rather do it myself though :/

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
put a new o ring on the cap

its been documented on here before

Is that just a new o-ring, or a new cap and reservoir, too?

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
'O' ring if you can locate one.....otherwise just replace the cap. Cap replacement is always the first step if no leakage (trails) are evident.

Rob

·
Banned
260 Posts
I've been tracking a coolant leak for the past few months... I feel like it was happening last year too, but I always chalked it up to the typical/occasional need to add a splash of coolant to most vehicles. It loses about 1 hash mark of coolant every 2 weeks, or at least it's doing that now that temps are in the low 90's where I'm stationed. Those are the average temps in the shade, but it's in the low 100's in the sun on a cool day.

Any thoughts on what this is? I can't find any leakage from a visual check in the engine bay, and have never once seen a puddle. My first thought was water pump, but I'm also wondering if the cap is venting fluid from all the excess heat.
Could be a small leak that evaporates before it hits the ground, therefore no puddles. If possible try running your finger under the connections to see if there is small seepage. Can't say that I've seen any issues of head gasket problems with these engines yet, especially the un-modified or un- tuned ones anyways.

Might not hurt to put a scan gauge on to monitor your coolant temperature to see if you are running unusually high which might cause the reservoir to burp a little out on the days when temperatures are high esp if there is a thermostat problem.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I dumped in 1oz of ACDelco dye in the coolant 2 days ago, and checked it this morning with a UV flashlight. I couldn't see any dye reflections anywhere on the motor (oddly enough, not even in the coolant tank). The oil checks out good too. The coolant cap always has lots of moisture on the underside of it, even when it hasn't been driven for a while, so I'm guessing it's the o-ring that's bad. Will replace that next.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
So I dumped in 1oz of ACDelco dye in the coolant 2 days ago, and checked it this morning with a UV flashlight. I couldn't see any dye reflections anywhere on the motor (oddly enough, not even in the coolant tank). The oil checks out good too. The coolant cap always has lots of moisture on the underside of it, even when it hasn't been driven for a while, so I'm guessing it's the o-ring that's bad. Will replace that next.
Check for dye in your oil.

·
Banned
260 Posts
Check for dye in your oil.
Should be no need, the oil would have started to look milky if the coolant was leaking into the oil in the first place.

I've been tracking a coolant leak for the past few months... I feel like it was happening last year too, but I always chalked it up to the typical/occasional need to add a splash of coolant to most vehicles. It loses about 1 hash mark of coolant every 2 weeks,
A hash mark every two weeks over two months is quit a bit of coolant to leak into the oil without noticing it!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^ very true. No change in the oil when I shined the UV light on it. I'm leaning more towards the cap not sealing properly.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just ordered a handful of those oversized 4.5mm o-rings. I'll do another check on the vent tube as well as the water pump this weekend.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put on a new 4.5 mm o-ring yesterday. I haven't been driving much this past week so the car wasn't low on coolant; hopefully this new snug-fitting o-ring does the trick. Kudos to the O-Ring Store for fast shipping and including a free piece of candy in my order!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I put on a new 4.5 mm o-ring yesterday. I haven't been driving much this past week so the car wasn't low on coolant; hopefully this new snug-fitting o-ring does the trick. Kudos to the O-Ring Store for fast shipping and including a free piece of candy in my order!
Link please. Thank you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So after a week or so of the O-ring being installed, I see no signs of fluid loss. I do expect the new ring to shrink a smidgen (that's why I followed the advice on this site and picked up a handful of the rings), but so far it appears to be fixed!

·
Registered
130 Posts
So after a week or so of the O-ring being installed, I see no signs of fluid loss. I do expect the new ring to shrink a smidgen (that's why I followed the advice on this site and picked up a handful of the rings), but so far it appears to be fixed!
Nearly a month later, any update on this? Mine is doing the same thing. No visible external leaks and it doesn't really smell like coolant. I'll take a pic later, but I'm almost down to the lower hose! I have 68k on my '14. I have not added coolant to this car in its lifetime.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts