Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first noticed this smell about 3 months ago, ive owned my cruze since june 2013 and it has 10,000 miles on it, the smell didn't start until it began to get cold outside, ive taken it into the dealer twice and both times they spent all day testing it for leaks and found nothing, they said they will not do a dye test until they can prove there is a leak and said its probably just a new car smell, but I drove it to work today and when parked in garage for maybe 30 min I came back out to get something and it smelled like I just opened my radiator onto an exhaust pipe, stronger than ive ever smelled it, there is no leaks anywhere, no fluid loss, well it was full to the top line with the arrow but it went down a line and stays steady at the second line down but it took about a month to drop from the top line to the second line and that was two months ago, ive been trying to read other threads about this type of issue but am wondering if there was ever a real fix announced for this smell problem.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,524 Posts
Not really. You can fight the dealer to replace the expansion tank and cap, but that mostly goes nowhere unless you go back and forth 200 times with them attempting to "fix" it.

Several of us have lowered the level to the bottom of the fill arrow and it seems to eliminate the coolant vapor that is escaping past the cap.

Do you smell it with the heater on inside the car?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Sounds like the start of the water pump going. Mine did a similar thing, minus the smell, it very slowly lost coolant, luckily we park in the garage and I have epoxy coated floor so liquids don't soak in to the cement and I was able to see just two or three drops 2 separate times over a month time frame as the fluid went down to the top of the hose. I just had it replaced out at 11k miles, keep a close eye on the levels, I don't know at what point the pressure test will show the leak but mine seemed to only drip once it warmed up and driven in the city since most the fluid was escaping out side of when it was parked and slowly cooling off.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
First, find another dealer. The "dye" costs $10 retail and needs to be in the system in order to be useful.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I would have sent you off with coolant dye in it.Than have you return after 100 miles and start my Diag of the condition.What the dealer told you of there Diag procedure makes no sense to me.Most likely there is a leak but under only really certain conditions.With dye it will show traceing after some miles and warm up and cool down cycles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not smell any inside the car unless im driving with the windows down, and really only noticed a drop in the expansion tank for the first month, after it went down to the second notch it stopped dropping and its been two months since, also I kind of sniff around under the hood and really only smell coolant by the expansion tank, nothing by the water pump or even the thermostat, just only by the tank

·
Registered
188 Posts
Silver - welcome to the coolant smell club! Sounds like you can smell coolant inside and outside of the vehicle correct? There are many possibilities that could be causing this. I have had all of the TSB's performed on my Cruze and still have the coolant smell. GM does not have a handle on this issue...in my opinion.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Silver - welcome to the coolant smell club! Sounds like you can smell coolant inside and outside of the vehicle correct? There are many possibilities that could be causing this. I have had all of the TSB's performed on my Cruze and still have the coolant smell. GM does not have a handle on this issue...in my opinion.
This forum serves to help others with their issues and make their ownership experience as pleasant as possible, within our power of course. You appear to have a personal vendetta against GM for this antifreeze smell issue. While I do not blame you, I do want to make you aware of whose job exactly you are making more difficult. If you wish to discuss this issue or complain about it, you have your own thread in which to do it. Responding to every thread you possibly can expressing your frustration is bordering spam and absolutely unnecessary. If you wish to "warn" people about a particular issue, you may do so privately, but I ask that you vent your frustration in your own thread, not everyone else's.

Everyone else can refer to the following thread:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/25-s...e-cabin-odors-sources-resolution-summary.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.