Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everybody, I own a 2010 AT 1.8L Cruze LT.

Whenever I start the car, I get this weird metallic like noise, at a certain RPM range (always below 2300 RPM)

It's coming from under the hood or maybe somewhere behind the left front wheel.

This noise lasts for about a minute or 2 and then it's gone. Whenever the car cools down or I leave it seating for a few hours I get the noise again.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'd vote heat shield as well; most likely completely harmless although annoying and obnoxious. My Subaru developed terrible heat-shield rattle, which is common on Subarus.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hey everybody, I own a 2010 AT 2.0lt Cruze LT.

Whenever I start the car, I get this weird metallic like noise, at a certain RPM range (always below 2300 RPM)

It's coming from under the hood or maybe somewhere behind the left front wheel.

This noise lasts for about a minute or 2 and then it's gone. Whenever the car cools down or I leave it seating for a few hours I get the noise again.

Hi Mr Cracker,

Have you brought this to the dealership's attention? We would be more than happy to look into this further, and communicate this with your dealership. We look forward to hearing any additional updates on this!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So.... following your suggestions I found a bolt missing on the right lower part of the engine's heat shield.

Since I don't have the required bolt, in the meantime I cut a couple of styrofoam tabs and squeezed them in between the gap to test if this is causing the noise.

I'll let the engine cool down for now an come back with the results.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Mr Cracker,

Have you brought this to the dealership's attention? We would be more than happy to look into this further, and communicate this with your dealership. We look forward to hearing any additional updates on this!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thanks for you assistance Patsy.

I have brought this to the dealership's attention, unfortunately they came back with a "No problem was found" answer.

·
Administrator
25,121 Posts

I have brought this to the dealership's attention, unfortunately they came back with a "No problem was found" answer.
A missing bolt is definitely not a "No Problem Found" situation. I wonder if the bolt was there but loose when they looked.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

You're welcome! If you need to head into another dealership for a second opinion, just let me know!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Since I don't have the required bolt, in the meantime I cut a couple of styrofoam tabs and squeezed them in between the gap to test if this is causing the noise.
That might be fine for a test, but don't leave it in there. Styrofoam is flammable. You don't want to start a fire.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That might be fine for a test, but don't leave it in there. Styrofoam is flammable. You don't want to start a fire.
Thanks for the warning, hadn't thought about that.

Styrofoam was gone after a few minutes of driving, probably melted or something.

I'm almost certain the noise was almost gone, I'll try to get the missing bolt to see if that solves the problem.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Another possibility is the clutch on the AC compressor dragging, another age old problem GM invented by using an interference fit on the clutch shaft, gap can either close causing this noise, or open so you compressor won't kick in at all. Makes noise when cold, but with heat, metal expands and it will go away.

Need a special tool to open that gap, correct gap is a half of a millimeter or 0.02", compressor is right make behind your right front wheel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another possibility is the clutch on the AC compressor dragging, another age old problem GM invented by using an interference fit on the clutch shaft, gap can either close causing this noise, or open so you compressor won't kick in at all. Makes noise when cold, but with heat, metal expands and it will go away.

Need a special tool to open that gap, correct gap is a half of a millimeter or 0.02", compressor is right make behind your right front wheel.
Thank you, If the missing bolt doesn't fix it, this is next on the list.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i honestly don't see the point in heat-shielding, the gf's last car (craigslist budget-mobile) had a horrible rattle from the heat-shielding sitting on top of the exhaust manifold. all the bolts were rusted to $hit so i beat the tar out of it and yanked it off, got rid of the noise and didn't notice any problems with taking it off, in fact it probably ran better until the water pump took a dump.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
UPDATE :

The missing bolt has been replaced. There was also some soldering done to the exhaust pipe, which apparently was loose.

This fixed the rattling noise.

Everything was going well until I hit a small pole...
Is your front bumper made out of tin? Sure looks this way from your photos with metal shown under that dent.

A friend was over interested in my kayak and asking me why I was putting it on my 88 Supra, said because my Cruze has nothing but flimsy plastic in front and no way to tie it down in front. Supra has huge towing hooks. He has a 2011 Toyota Corolla and its the same way with nothing but extremely flimsy plastic up front. I can't answer this question how to securely hold the front of kayak down, that wind resistance would blow it away.

Read someplace where these new bumpers are only good for 1 mph if even this much, we use to have a law where all bumpers had to be damage free with a 5 mph impact. Guess they took this law off the books. Have to watch my three year old grandson on his tricycle, if he collides with this bumper, it would fall off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts